1st Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Still trying to get all the results posted from my Sunday Smoke Fest

I offer for your viewing pleasure, Pastrami made from Corned Beef.

This has been on my bucket list for a few months, since I first read about it. Wife doesn't like Pastrami, Sauerkraut, etc. so this one is all for me.

At 3:30 PM Saturday afternoon, I opened the corned beef package and placed it in cold water that covered it and into the fridge.

At 9PM I changed the water.

At 7AM I pulled it out of the fridge. It had a small portion of point on it. I cut it off so I would have nice even slices with consistent bark when done. I season the small point like normal brisket and added it to the Chucky burnt ends I was also doing.

After patting dry, I used some "deli" mustard for the base for the rub. Then I did "traditional pastrami rub"

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder

It went the MES 30 @225 with AMNPS 40/40/20 Apple/Cherry/Pecan at 9AM

As mentioned in my other post this smoke went weird in beginning. Both the brisket and the pastrami brisket got to 150 really fast. I know my smoker temps were running as they should, I double and triple checked with different air probes etc. So instead of pulling at 150, I pulled at 165, which happened at 11:15 AM.

I setup foil pan with rack inside it, and enough broth to provide steam and covered with foil, until it hit 203 at 12:30pm. (See notes below about this step)

I let it rest on counter until it cool some, and then put it into the fridge. Around 6pm I pulled it out and sliced it. I was really concerned with how tough it felt while slicing, but "rolled with it". I put enough for 2 Reubens in the fridge and vacuum packed enough for a 3rd, could have easily stretch to at least 4 sandwiches, but I like lots of meat on my sandwich!

For lunch today I turned the first of the two packages I have in the fridge into a Reuben.

Notes from the smoke: Recipes are all over the map on Pastrami, but after doing this one, I think that unless you are eating right away, skip the steam step and steam as you use it. I also don't think that steaming it whole accomplishes the same thing as steam slices, as far as tenderness goes, the sampling I did while slicing was definitely tougher than it was on the sandwich I made today. I still don't know if it was a fluke how quick it hit 150 or ?. Next time I might cold smoke it for an hour or two before turning up the smoker, so that I can get more smoke. Bark is great and I think the deli mustard was an inspired idea, but I think I will only put rub on "top" in the future. I will definitely do this again, but will wait until I have a slicer (next purchase on my list), I think thinner slices combined with the steaming would make perfect tender slices. I would like to do my own curing, but hard to devote space in RV fridge, so I will have to use store bought corned beef.

Some Pics including bonus footage from Sandwich today.
pastrami1.jpg
When it came out of smoker.

pastrami2.jpg
All sliced up

pastrami3.jpg
So my biggest challenge today was how to steam without a steam pan. Living fulltime in an RV, you have to pick your kitchen gadgets wisely! So I placed one of my cooling racks over a 1 quart pan and placed the slices on the rack.

pastrami4.jpg
Then placed the lid over the pastrami. This worked perfectly. And the slices where much more tender than they were from my sampling right out of the smoker.

pastrami5.jpg
Not the pretties sandwich but it sure was tasty and hit the spot, today!!!

Last edited:
Pete don't worry about the look of the sandwich. Reuben's are messy by nature. I like to fry my pastrami before I build the sandwich. Looks appetizing to me.

Point for sure.

Chris

You know at Katz's NY Deli it's said that "if the sandwich ain't fallen apart, you ain't eating it right!"

I just give you points for being innovative in your RV with the steaming....great job !!!

Now that I have my steaming process worked out, I could just focus on my Sammag' making skills today.

Can you believe Momma hates Pastrami and Kraut so much that she had a Quarter Pounder from Mickey D's while I had this!!!!!

Man is it good!!! That's all I had in the fridge, I got enough in the freezer for one more Sammag' when I really need some comfort food.
rueben.jpg

Reactions: redheelerdog
Great job on that pastrami looks good going to follow in your footsteps next week doings a full brisket today for s change thanks

Great job on that pastrami looks good going to follow in your footsteps next week

Seems fitting since I was following in the footsteps of others from this site that shared their process for pastrami. Costco had a end cap freezer full of some really nice looking corned beef briskets yesterday, I almost stuck a couple in the cart, but resisted the urge and will wait until I get a slicer before I do another one, so I can slice it nice and thin.

Reactions: recoush
Seems fitting since I was following in the footsteps of others from this site that shared their process for pastrami. Costco had a end cap freezer full of some really nice looking corned beef briskets yesterday, I almost stuck a couple in the cart, but resisted the urge and will wait until I get a slicer before I do another one, so I can slice it nice and thin.
Excellent

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky