1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thee calls :emoji_thumbsup: GREAT. That's the way to roll.
And thanks again for the save !
Slices turned out great but I guess they didn't like my vinegar based sauce.
I (we) thought it the best ever but not this time for the judges.
Never could speak with a judge to get pointers on the chicken but not the best in appearance. But great flavor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-214007_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-214007_Message+.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20220521-213923_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-213923_Message+.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: bauchjw
Thee calls :emoji_thumbsup: GREAT. That's the way to roll.
And thanks again for the save !
Slices turned out great but I guess they didn't like my vinegar based sauce.
I (we) thought it the best ever but not this time for the judges.
Never could speak with a judge to get pointers on the chicken but not the best in appearance. But great flavor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-213923_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-213923_Message+.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220521-214007_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-214007_Message+.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 23
Chicken might just be the hardest meat, some cooks hate it. From the group photo, it looks like everyone had a fine time. If you are already making plans for next year, you're hooked.

Reactions: 912smoker
That's awesome Keith! Best thing is the fun you had and time spent with family... kicking butt in several classes is just icing on the cake!

Ryan

Chicken might just be the hardest meat, some cooks hate it. From the group photo, it looks like everyone had a fine time. If you are already making plans for next year, you're hooked.
Yes we're low and slow with knife skills🤣 and at 1 am I turned the trimming over to my sons. Out 1st time using the true comp cut.....scrape the skin. 😴
But practice and get better.
I was talking with them about splitting the winnings and my BIL suggested putting the earnings in a UDS !
And the boys are searching the world wide web for our next event 🤣

Keith

Man oh man that’s a lot of work and totally awesome performance! Congrats
It was definitely a lot of work just preparing the week of !
We packed way too much of everything not really knowing anything about the set up or comp trail.
Most had an RV or camper but a few like us chose to ruff it. The 2 sons set up the tent and sleep for a couple of hrs and I chose to relax in a lounge chair for a bit.
An hr or so later I was walking the grounds meeting a couple of the competitors....and getting even more worried seeing all of the various Lang's in use. Guy beside us won the Savanah HD cookoff last year and has a good catering gig.
Fire Dept team (of 1) behind us was a great guy. His teammates were called back in and they left him with nothing to work with. None had ever cooked a brisket.
One of the boys saw him trying to trim with a small pocket knife in one hand and a flashlight in the other.
Did I mention we are country folk 🤣
So we trimmed and tried to help him thru the cook as much as possible when asked or when we had time.
Lots of fun and sorry for wondering

Keith

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Congrats Keith! Excellent showings and results. Glad you all had a great time! All looks great to me.
Thanks Mike and I knew based on the the food that we passed out to the crowd we were in good shape. Their response was really amazing.
Like ' best I've had " or "their's is more savory ' but certainly had no dream of winning. Great day and had all the kids and grands there as some point during the event. Great times for sure !

Reactions: MJB05615
That’s a satisfying win. Congratulations. I loved following the progression and I’m always impressed with the experience of the folks here on the forum. It looks like you had a great team and a ton of fun.
Thanks Sven and it all got started here at SMF and the advice in the walls and friendships shared ! And the encouragement from family to enter.
I just wanted to have another reason to have everyone together at one time and am blessed.

Keith

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That's awesome Keith! Best thing is the fun you had and time spent with family... kicking butt in several classes is just icing on the cake!

Ryan
Haha Ryan and a win for Team Voodoo 🥳
Man that sealed the deal on the ribs !
They looked good before the glaze but after the sauce set 👀. I am disappointed we didn't get more pics of the turn in boxes or the finished product but hey next time. And was able to keep the stress under control pretty good 🙃
Had to explain 🤔 to Kim at one point that the box does NOT look "good enough " 😇.
I think she understands the concept a lot better after the payday 🛎🛎🛎.
Many never have another one....but it was our weekend. Thankful and blessed

Keith

Reactions: bauchjw
Yes we're low and slow with knife skills🤣 and at 1 am I turned the trimming over to my sons. Out 1st time using the true comp cut.....scrape the skin. 😴
But practice and get better.
I moved from scraping to filleting but a fur trapper I know made me a tool he called a 'fleshing spoon' which simply has a bevel ground into a normal spoon.
rHMVEAq.jpg

Unless the rules don't allow it... you can prep at home, then vacuum seal or zipper bag the meat. I trim, sort and vacuum seal thighs. Then all I need to do is brine or inject, season and cook.
I was talking with them about splitting the winnings and my BIL suggested putting the earnings in a UDS !

DnfhACZ.jpg
I've cooked on drums for 10 or 12 years and love them. Not every team has one but very many have at least two.

For box ideas, check out the Judge My Box site. You can pick out a few photos you like. A pretty good cook told me one time he has used the same arrangement for chicken for 10 years. Sometimes he swaps out kale for parsley. For our most important cook, I sent photos to WalMart for large prints and I taped my chicken and brisket box photos on the wall of the trailer.

You mentioned comments and accolades..., no disrespect intended because y'all had that that covered hands down, all weekend long. But one of the Dizzy Pig guys had some good advice for me about comments. He reminded me that people in general are naturally polite so there might be a false positive in the mix. Feedback by family or friends like "too salty", "too spicy", and texture comments are more valuable than "it tastes great". I've done so many one-bite test cooks on chicken I've lost count.
7jXqWhz.jpg
2ikr5p6.jpg

So sorry I missed this until now! What a great time snd great work! I’m so happy for you and your team, it’s also awesome to read the progress with SMF family helping out. With the family time and your well deserved placement, this was a first comp that is hard to beat! Get some sleep! Thank you for an awesome thread!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky