1st Comp Cook off this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Brisket on at 10pm riding then the night @ 250°.
View attachment 645415
Beautiful night in the onion city with the temp at
66° and a low of 57° at 6am.
Gotta cook everything on the MBGF 1050 so planning some wiggle/resting time for the brisket make room for the others.

Keith, with the good weather. It's sitting at 34°F, but sunny, we should see a high of 60°.

Lookin good, thumbs up for the good weather.... it's currently 34°F, I'm guessing some cooks got fired up early today.

Oh, for the pork rule, they dropped the weight limit. So essentially you could cook all money muscles if you like. Shortens the cooking time and reduces the amount of waste.

Reactions: 912smoker
Lookin good, thumbs up for the good weather.... it's currently 34°F, I'm guessing some cooks got fired up early today.

Oh, for the pork rule, they dropped the weight limit. So essentially you could cook all money muscles if you like. Shortens the cooking time and reduces the amount of waste.
Should have done that for simplicity sake!
20221008_073408.jpg
Brisket is very tender and giggling
20221008_100056.jpg

Keith

Looks great Kieth and good luck. How the hell did you move the 1050 to the event? I barely want to roll the 800 around the patio.

Looks great Kieth and good luck. How the hell did you move the 1050 to the event? I barely want to roll the 800 around the patio.
Ummm yes sir I had my son to help load and unload and it performed flawlessly.
I did try out my neighbor's WSM to finish the chicken. It was easy to use and set up to temp.
20221008_113934.jpg
20221008_121708.jpg
20221008_125030.jpg
20221008_131019.jpg
20221008_132149.jpg
Didn't get a pick of the rib box 🙄

Keith

It was definitely a learning experience and have to long way to go if I plan to compete at that level!
20221008_155839.jpg

Myron and his crew won 1st in Ribs and 9th in Brisket.
Out of 30 teams , we finished:
Chicken. 28
Ribs. 19
Pork. 21
Brisket. 29

So we managed to not finish last 🙃 and have the judges comment cards for chicken and brisket to review. The ladies chopped the kale for the turn in box too fine was a common comment.

Thanks for the support and encouraging words !

Keith

It was definitely a learning experience and have to long way to go if I plan to compete at that level!
View attachment 645490

Myron and his crew won 1st in Ribs and 9th in Brisket.
Out of 30 teams , we finished:
Chicken. 28
Ribs. 19
Pork. 21
Brisket. 29

So we managed to not finish last 🙃 and have the judges comment cards for chicken and brisket to review. The ladies chopped the kale for the turn in box too fine was a common comment.

Thanks for the support and encouraging words !

Keith
Good on you for trying...not sure I could do it! What the other teams cooking on, stick burners?

Everything looks excellent Keith! Great work, and you got more experience and the comment cards. Plus you had fun with Family. That's a win in my book.

Congrats for trying Keith! Wouldn't be for me either but sounds like you had fun!

Ryan

Good on you for trying...not sure I could do it! What the other teams cooking on, stick burners?
Cliff I saw a variety of smokers being used.
Pellet grills, cabinet style, WSM, Langs, Jambo and other stick burners. And a ton of the Gateway Drums.

Keith

Great you gave it a try!! Hopefully it was a fun experience for you!
It was fun but very tiring. I think the main thing I learned was to stay home and cook for family and friends 🤣.

Keith

Enjoyed following your thread
Reads that you have fun and want to try again.
I don't like kale and especially don't want it sticking to my meat.
Thanks and we did. My oldest son and 10 yo nephew stayed all night and stressed, laughed and made memories.

Keith

Everything looks excellent Keith! Great work, and you got more experience and the comment cards. Plus you had fun with Family. That's a win in my book.
That's the real reason we started the team.
Family time. Everyone seems more committed when it's an "event" SIL in ATL (Chamblee) has been traveling for work like crazy and had to miss. Son here in town is a HVAC service tech and was on call due to reasons beyond his control and the same kind of issues with my BIL who is in Flight Safety with Gulfstream.
I agree it was still a win in the memory book!

Keith

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks and sounds like you had fun with it all Keith

Good for you guys , my stress level would be through the roof,
I really don't think I could do this

David
Oh yes sir David mine was too and I take pride in being calm but nothing went as it should have this time. I had the approval from the wife/CfO to purchase a UDS but no time to learn it. And buying chicken thighs at WM at 6am yesterday 🤪.
Had to apologize to my son ....who was being slow and methodical.....ummm like his dad....during the early morning hrs while prepping the bird parts.
If we decide to compete again I think we'll stay in the backyard division....or stay in my own backyard 🤣.

Keith

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Congrats for trying Keith! Wouldn't be for me either but sounds like you had fun!

Ryan
Well Ryan it was the secret Voodoo sauce again that got us the best score of the day😁! Blues Hog be darned 😉. Those guys do it every weekend somewhere and I'll continue to do the same at home😆.

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky