1st Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
I’ve been reading how Chuck Roast smoked is like a poor man’s brisket and I finally got the chance to try it. I used Weavers Barnyard Grilling Dust.
B3842D17-90EA-4483-970A-5D5E77130C40.jpeg

Fired up the WSM, put on some hickory, and we were off. Based on Meathead’s recipe, I took it off when the IT was 180 (about 6 hours later).

After resting, sliced it up and had some broccoli and cheesey mashed potatoes (sorry, no picks of the plated meal). The meat had a great flavor, but despite me saving the drippings and adding it back to the meat, I would have liked it to be juicier. Any suggestions would be appreciated. With the price comparison and some tweaking, I will be doing this again. Thanks for looking!
E168EA08-33ED-412D-956B-01DB8109F841.jpeg

EFCAE56D-FBFA-4449-88AC-732BC43FCD4A.jpeg

maybe a little higher IT? I've doing them a lot for chili. Was pulling them at 200 or so like brisket, but they ended up way too fall apart in the chili. Last one I pulled about 190ish. It was very juicy and held up well in the chili. We had to stop ourselves from snitching so there was some left for the chili!

Chuck is not poor mans brisket to me. In fact, brisket is most always cheaper than chuck here.. Tri tip has been called no fail brisket but is much more expensive than either. That said, smoked chuck taken to pull temps (200-210F) is good stuff. Great on sandwiches, but we prefer it on tacos here. I would take those slices and crock rock it. I like kawboys suggestion for use in chili...

Poor Man's? :eek: No such critter as cheap beef now-a-days.

Dry brine and/or inject with marinade.

Taking it to a higher IT should yield a more tender-n-juicy finish.

Don't go just by IT, probe it for tenderness.
Just like Butts, Brisket and others it should probe butter tender for the best results.

Chuckies make excellent burnt ends and pulled beef. I'm not a big fan of sliced chuck.

Chris

The price of a Choice chuck around here is close to the price of a Choice ribeye.
Especially this time of year when the ribeyes always go on sale, they are $8.99 now, but usually drop to $7.99 or less, as we get into the holiday season.
Al

Ill second the burnt ends! But for what you are doing you need to braise it. In fact I braise when making burnt ends too. Use beef broth, apple juice, pop, or just water and onion soup mix in a foil pan with the chucky and cover it with foil after its got some smoke on it. You can do the braising in a crock pot or dutch oven if you want as it wont take on smoke once its sealed up.

Chucky burnt ends are a must try!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/260326/2-chuckies

I never do a chuck without foiling in for the end of the smoke. I give it an injection and smoke to and internal temperature of 150 F. Then I foil it and add beef stock and smoke to 180 F. It is always moist.

Thanks guys for the tips. I will definitely use them for the next attempt. Like I said the flavor was awesome but juiciness was less than desirable. I have yet to try burnt ends but I need to give that a go too.

Usually around here, brisket prices are $8 a pound and Chuck Roasts are between $5-6 a pound. I was able to pick this one up for around $4.50 a pound.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky