1st Cen Tex Que & Brew Event Day Two: The Main Event (More Insane Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"That spread looks over the top awesome! And thanks for letting me know about the garlic. It is for sure on my to do list."

Thank you for the kind words, and for sharing the recipe. I kid you not Steve, there were people walking around popping whole cloves of garlic into their mouths like M&M's. Whoda thunk it??

Waking up a bit,
Robert
Robert, after reading through your thread and going back and reading through Steve's thread I had to try this pickling bine with my own little twist.

I made up a gallon of the pickling liquid and cut up and quickly blanched 3 cauliflower heads 1 white, 1 purple, and 1 green that I bought at the $0.99 store into flowerettes and packed them into Ball quart jars. Then I poured the boiling pickling liquid over the fresh packed cauliflower and capped them. I also bought a big bag of peeled Harris Ranch garlic and made up 4 pints of pickled garlic the same way.

I can't wait to try it, it tastes really zippy, I added 1/2 tsp of dried calabrian chili flakes to each jar, I like things spicey.
I didn't take any pictures of the process,
(I did it in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep)
But I will be sure to post up the finished product on your thread if it's Okay with you?

If not I understand and will move it over to the canning forum. I'm not sure which place would be best seeing that you're the reason that I saw Steve's recipe in the first place, I'd like to thank both you and Steve for the great idea.

Thank you.
Dan

Robert, after reading through your thread and going back and reading through Steve's thread I had to try this pickling bine with my own little twist.

I made up a gallon of the pickling liquid and cut up and quickly blanched 3 cauliflower heads 1 white, 1 purple, and 1 green that I bought at the $0.99 store into flowerettes and packed them into Ball quart jars. Then I poured the boiling pickling liquid over the fresh packed cauliflower and capped them. I also bought a big bag of peeled Harris Ranch garlic and made up 4 pints of pickled garlic the same way.

I can't wait to try it, it tastes really zippy, I added 1/2 tsp of dried calabrian chili flakes to each jar, I like things spicey.
But I will be sure to post up the finished product on your thread if it's Okay with you?

If not I understand and will move it over to the canning forum. I'm not sure which place would be best seeing that you're the reason that I saw Steve's recipe in the first place, I'd like to thank both you and Steve for the great idea.

Thank you.
Dan
In for the results! this stuff was sooooo good. I'm making a batch this weekend.

"Another Outstanding Post of a Super Get-Together!!
Really Awesome Robert.
Thanks for sharing both of these Fantastic Days with us!!
Like.

Bear"

BEAR!! Great to see you sir. It's always a pleasure to have you drop in....or for me to drop into one of your amazing threads. Very much appreciate the kind words sir. Coming from you, the accolades are considered a very high honor. As you well know, your Buckboard Bacon was a huge hit!! Folks loved it for breakfast but it was an out-of-the-park grand slam home run on the burgers!! Now....if we can just get your smiling face to TX for our event next year....(hint hint)

Fingers X'ed,
Robert

Last edited:
"I can't wait to try it, it tastes really zippy, I added 1/2 tsp of dried calabrian chili flakes to each jar, I like things spicey.
But I will be sure to post up the finished product on your thread if it's Okay with you?"

Dan, very much appreciate the consideration and the respect, but certainly you can post it here. That's such a huge part of what this forum is all about: threads expanding and people sharing experiences and ideas. At some point in one of Steve's threads (he has more than one with his spicy pickling brine as he was working it out) somebody mentioned pickling cauliflower. I thought it was a fantastic idea and had every intention of doing it myself but it somehow has gotten overlooked. Unlike you however, I won't blanch mine. I like the full texture and crunch of raw cauliflower. Another thing I'm dying to do is spicy pickled hard boiled eggs. I grew up way out in the country and we had this little (and I mean little!!) country store a few miles from the house. I could always count on them having pickled eggs on the counter by the cash register. If I remember though, they were purple in color but I loved those things!! Instead of the additional pepper flakes you added though, I have a bottle of coarse sea salt that's infused with Trinidad Scorpion pepper, which was gifted to me by Rick, that will be used versus just plain salt. That should give a bit of extra zing :emoji_anguished:

A couple weeks ago I made a Cobb salad for dinner one night which included 65 day aged prime rib, homemade bacon crumbles, hard boiled eggs, and several other things. The salad both looked and tasted amazing!! I bet you that the pickled eggs used in that salad then top it with very thinly sliced pickled garlic would be simply over the top!! If you wanna see an insanely good salad, just let me know :-)

Something to consider though. The garlic is very dense and it took a while to really get the flavor infused into it. The cauliflower is much more porous and will likely absorb the flavor much faster. I'd be willing to say that in two weeks or so you'll have some amazing cauliflower...or I'd at least recommend giving it a try at that point.

Stirring the pot a little,
Robert

Here ya go Steve....and all you pepper heads out there. Try this if you dare :emoji_laughing:

005.jpg

I plan on using this for my spicy pickled hard boiled eggs.

This is gonna get me in a LOT of trouble,
Robert

Here ya go Steve....and all you pepper heads out there. Try this if you dare :emoji_laughing:

View attachment 403167

Robert

I'm gonna see about getting some of that. As for the cauliflower I don't blanch it either. I haven't used the spicy brine for that though. Just the normal pickling brine.

"I can't wait to try it, it tastes really zippy, I added 1/2 tsp of dried calabrian chili flakes to each jar, I like things spicey.
But I will be sure to post up the finished product on your thread if it's Okay with you?"

Dan, very much appreciate the consideration and the respect, but certainly you can post it here. That's such a huge part of what this forum is all about: threads expanding and people sharing experiences and ideas. At some point in one of Steve's threads (he has more than one with his spicy pickling brine as he was working it out) somebody mentioned pickling cauliflower. I thought it was a fantastic idea and had every intention of doing it myself but it somehow has gotten overlooked. Unlike you however, I won't blanch mine. I like the full texture and crunch of raw cauliflower. Another thing I'm dying to do is spicy pickled hard boiled eggs. I grew up way out in the country and we had this little (and I mean little!!) country store a few miles from the house. I could always count on them having pickled eggs on the counter by the cash register. If I remember though, they were purple in color but I loved those things!! Instead of the additional pepper flakes you added though, I have a bottle of coarse sea salt that's infused with Trinidad Scorpion pepper, which was gifted to me by Rick, that will be used versus just plain salt. That should give a bit of extra zing :emoji_anguished:

A couple weeks ago I made a Cobb salad for dinner one night which included 65 day aged prime rib, homemade bacon crumbles, hard boiled eggs, and several other things. The salad both looked and tasted amazing!! I bet you that the pickled eggs used in that salad then top it with very thinly sliced pickled garlic would be simply over the top!! If you wanna see an insanely good salad, just let me know :-)

Something to consider though. The garlic is very dense and it took a while to really get the flavor infused into it. The cauliflower is much more porous and will likely absorb the flavor much faster. I'd be willing to say that in two weeks or so you'll have some amazing cauliflower...or I'd at least recommend giving it a try at that point.

Stirring the pot a little,
Robert

I've made a few batches so far of pickled Cauliflower. Not a good pic. The jar got condensation on them from being out of the fridge. Under vacuum they'll be ready in about 5 days. These jars were done about a month ago. Right tasty! When I do the garlic. I'll put them under vacuum for about a month.https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/some-veggies.287231/#post-1959038

P8162883.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
These are the ones that we kept.
I brought some over to my parents and in-laws yesterday.
I only sealed the garlic. The cauliflower will get eaten up quickly in our house.
They are still plenty crunchy, I just gave them a quick blanch then ice bath. Crappy picture here as well Steve, the condensation got me as well, the purple cauliflower made the brine a nice pinkish color.
2019-08-16 04.20.20.png

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

View attachment 403167

Robert
Yum, I love those peppers but my stomach can't handle super hot chilis any longer. The next batch of this brine that I make I will pickle up some eggs with some beet juice added for color.
I have the lady at our local deli save me their 1 gallon food grade pickle and pepper jars. I trade her 24 pickled eggs pickled and onions. She hands them out to her lunch time regulars.
I can't wait to try them in this brine.
Have you ever tried deep fried beer battered pickled eggs? they are amazing and they are a big super bowl party hit.

Thanks again.
Dan

Last edited:
Yum, I love those peppers but my stomach can't handle super hot chilis any longer. The next batch of this brine that I make I will pickle up some eggs with some beet juice added for color.
I have the lady at our local deli save me their 1 gallon food grade pickle and pepper jars. I trade her 24 pickled eggs pickled and onions. She hands them out to her lunch time regulars.
I can't wait to try them in this brine.
Have you ever tried deep fried beer battered pickled eggs? they are amazing and they are a big super bowl party hit.

Thanks again.
Dan

I've had beer battered eggs deep fried. Not pickled though. Hmm, another thing to try. Thanks!

Reactions: forktender
Stealing the cheesecake square recipe.

Wanna see this!
I don't eat fried food very often, not because I don't love it, because I don't need the added pounds.
The place I had them would dip them in beer batter then dust them with corn meal and get until golden. They actually sounded gross to me but after a few beers I decided to try them, and they were really freak'in good. I made them for holidays and parties for years, they were a big hit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky