1st Cen Tex Que & Brew Event Day Two: The Main Event (More Insane Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"You have a very nice home."

Thank you very much. It was an 8 year effort between finding the right lot to build on, me designing the house then tweaking the design after finding the lot, waiting for the economy to recover so we could get a reasonable sale price for our other house, then me resigning my job to focus full time on building this one. It's an interesting design and a lot of people ask "what were you thinking??". Well, we were thinking about what WE wanted in our forever home, not what somebody else thought we should have. The foundation for the house is 6,200 square feet, is 116 feet front to back, and 75 feet wide. All of that foundation though and finished space is only 3,800 square feet. Not small by any means but not palatial either. In that 3,800 s.f. though is only 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bathrooms....they are just huge rooms and there is no formal living room. I have a 1,500 square foot (7 1/2 car) attached garage and a 1,000 square foot covered patio. That's where all of the foundation space is taken :emoji_wink:

"Would you mind sharing the recipe for the spicy pickled garlic? I think that would be a winner for my family."

Absolutely!! Please remember though that we have Steve @Steve H to thank for this. He worked for quite a while getting it exactly how he wanted it to be and it's outstanding!! Here ya go:

1 quart cider vinegar
3/4 cup Franks hot sauce
2 tsp dried minced onions
2 tbs red pepper flakes
2 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs white pepper. Or black. I was out of the latter.
2 tsp franks dried spice
2 tsp powdered garlic
2 tbs sea salt
(Note: My little grocery store did not have the franks dried spice so I used an equal amount of Tabasco sauce)

Mix all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer till well blended. Turn exhaust fan on high!! The aroma is quite strong.

Here is the link that Steve sent me for his sausage project using this brine. It's a fun read and may get the cogs turning for other stuff to play with

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pickled-and-i-hope-hot-sausage.286725/#post-1953350

Well....I gotta go cut the grass. That didn't get done Saturday.
Robert

Thank you John!! I noticed that you were strangely absent. Now I know why. It was probably a security breach and some hacker got your ticket. I guess that explains some of the unfamiliar faces at the event :emoji_wink:

Question of the day is how much of that good home brew did you go though over the weekend? Like the kegorator too I have been wanting to build one for quite awhile just haven't had the time to do it.

Reactions: forktender
"Question of the day is how much of that good home brew did you go though over the weekend? Like the kegorator too I have been wanting to build one for quite awhile just haven't had the time to do it."

Well John, that's a good question and one I had to think through before responding. The vast majority of the beer was consumed on Friday. Saturday was more like "National Margarita Day". Some of these numbers are approximate but should be pretty close:

-Just short of 2 kegs of beer
-A couple cases of assorted beers people brought with them
-19 bottles of Margaritas (glad I bought the 2 extra cases Friday morning!!)
-70# of meat products
-30# of assorted appetizers and side dishes
-200# of ice
-2000 gallons of pool water (had to refill it yesterday)

All in all, we were well equipped for this one!!
Robert
p.s. the kegorator is VERY easy to put together and only takes about 15 minutes)

Last edited:
"Wow, what a place you have, it's beautiful!"

Thank you very much. As previously noted, it was designed and built by me....after the wife approved the design of course:emoji_wink: I'll try to get some pics posted later.

"The beer would've had a tough time keeping up with me and that food........damn....that food looks amazing. You really know how to throw a shin dig."

With all due respect, I question if the beer would have a hard time keeping up with you or if the converse of that would be the case. I went on a beer making blitz a couple months in advance of this event to ensure we didn't run out. I had 8 kegs on the floor and ready to serve our guests along with 23 bottles of margaritas. If you had gone through all of that, somebody would be reading your eulogy right about now :emoji_anguished: Blessedly, Tracy loves to entertain as much as I do and we have had a lot of practice at it.

That's a bunch of beer....
Robert

"Awesome looking food & it sure looks like a good time was shared by all!!
Al"

Thank you Al!! After some of the amazing stuff I've seen you turn out, that's a very high compliment.

Robert

Last edited:
"I'm not so sure about all of the topless dude picks can we work on that next year.......more bikini's around the pool would've off set the man boobs."

"Hahahaha! Quote of the year. I just started busting out laughing. All my co-workers probably think I'm on drugs"

Hey....sorry about that guys. I invited some bikini clad hotties but they didn't want to be here with all the middle-aged topless dudes. The topless dudes had already confirmed attendance though so I couldn't very well turn them away at the last minute. I do have an idea for next year though: it appears that Ricky and Gerald have something going on. Maybe we could get them to sport bikinis next year :emoji_laughing: I know that Ricky's favorite swimming attire is his burlap thong but he may be willing to take one for the team, discard the thong, and put on a bikini....

Shudder the thought,
Robert

"Let me know when you want another bird, have brine bucket will travel."

Ricky....I forgot to mention this earlier. Tracy and I were relaxing in the pool yesterday (sipping a margarita) and she kept raving about your turkey and how good it was. She then proceeded to lay down the law that I WILL be getting a brining bucket and will cook as many turkeys as it takes trying to replicate yours. Sounds like I may need another freezer just for turkey :emoji_laughing:

Not gonna argue with the wife,
Robert

Robert, y'all's house is gorgeous. Love the layout of it! Thanks so much for the invite and welcoming me and my pups into your home! Great food, great drinks, and wonderful company. Can't wait to do it again, it was WELL worth the 3.5 hour drive.

"The roasts look absolutely delicious. Man, I regret not attending this year.

HT
"

They were without doubt the best beef roasts I've ever done, and I've cooked quite a few. Had a chat with my sales manager at Piedmontese earlier and we discussed some sort of "official sponsorship" next year. I have no doubt that you'll be here for the next one so mayhap you'll get to indulge.

Here' hoping,
Robert

"Robert, y'all's house is gorgeous. Love the layout of it! Thanks so much for the invite and welcoming me and my pups into your home! Great food, great drinks, and wonderful company. Can't wait to do it again, it was WELL worth the 3.5 hour drive."

TAYLOR!! Glad you could make it to the party, both in person over the weekend and in spirit here on the forum.

Thank you for the kind words about the house. As already stated, it was a multi-year endeavor for Tracy and I but well worth the time and effort.

Ok....here we go again :-) You sir are an absolute class act and are welcome at our home any time. Our door is always open to you and your pups. You're family now but consider yourself lucky that you went home with as many of them as you showed up with. Either of those girls could have been left here and would enjoy quite a lifestyle. As you promised in the beginning though, they are great dogs and welcome any time but I was quite enamored with one of them...and you know which one it was :-)

If you ever get a burr under your saddle and decide you want to take a road trip, come on by. Call me, send me a text, or PM me here on the forum to let me know you're on the way. I don't know how the air bed worked for you in the game room, but hopefully it was adequate. I may not be the best host in the world but I can hopefully provide you a decent meal at least if you show up :emoji_wink:

Now to the crux of things. Please remember that you have been tasked with picking the date for next year's event. We need that date pretty soon please. Want to give folks as much time as possible to plan and make travel arrangements. Once you decide on the date, I suggest you make your reservation for whatever sleeping arrangement you want. First in line gets first pick :emoji_laughing:

Time for another margarita,
Robert

"What an enjoyable thread to read! GREAT POST! LIKE!!!!!"

Thank you VERY much!! I am not the most literate person in the world but try to write the posts in a way that I'd enjoy reading them. I can only hope that other folks enjoy them also.....and apparently you did. Very much appreciate the accolades and the like.

Honored and humbled,
Robert

That spicy garlic is now on my super short list of things to do! so good!

also... The salsa... man o' man. I never knew what I was missing until I had that. When a salsa is really garlic mixed with onion and a bit of tomato... such a thing of beauty! I need to try the spicy version next. And I also need a 55 gallon drum of it. maybe two...

Such an amazing time overall. I may have had life kick me in the face at the last second and had to pivot, more than once, but I still think it was a huge success!

tx smoker tx smoker - MVP- Huge shout out to you for helping (read Running) the event. Could not have done it without you. You and Tracy are amazing for opening your house and home to all of us. I am forever in debt and can't say thank you enough.

@TXRick - The man with the carbon fiber Axe! The jams were amazing and I'm still jamming to Radar Love in my head today! Thank you for the entertainment! Glad I finally got to meet y'all and hear first hand what Robert raves about.

@woodwindricky - The turkey, even reheated in my case... phenomenal! The cheesecake squares... I mean, come on. Amazing. Tell Connie thank you again and again. Thank you for the assistance on cooking and all the awesome vittles!

@Matt_Tex - It was great meeting you and yours as well and glad y'all made it out. I'm looking forward to the next time already. I know y'all had to make the arduous trek down the hill but it was a great time.

@Thorpd01 - Great meeting you and Sue as well! Was a great time conversing and hanging out. Will definitely have to do it again. Work will not get in the way again.

tareed94 tareed94 - Thank you for making the trek up to the event. I know it takes a lot to travel to somewhere new to meet new people on a whim like this. I mean... I did the same not too long ago and I still have both my kidneys! :emoji_laughing: Next time I will be able to swing camping the whole weekend and we can knock out some Jenga and cornhole.

@snakehead - hey... look up... it's me! :emoji_wink: Great putting a face to the name. I'm not sure how I left and didn't get your contact info as I need more of that salsa in my life! and the spicy version you spoke of is a must for me now. Great meeting you and look forward to another meetup.

Really, in all, it was truly an amazing turnout and full of great people. We laughed as we just had to pick what will probably be the hottest weekend to do this. Next year it was mentioned to move it to earlier or later in the season, but it isn't a TX gathering if it isn't 110°F+! :emoji_sunglasses:

Thank you again to everyone that made this happen and I look forward to doing this time and time again!

-Zach

Great synopsis Zach!! You pretty much hit on most of the high points....but there were just too many to get all of them

"also... The salsa... man o' man. I never knew what I was missing until I had that. When a salsa is really garlic mixed with onion and a bit of tomato... such a thing of beauty! I need to try the spicy version next. And I also need a 55 gallon drum of it. maybe two..."

Ok, you and @snakehead are likely to think I've totally lost my mind but I had a thought. Like you, I love the super high garlic flavor in Gerald's salsa. That's really what sets it apart for me. You mentioned both my spicy pickled garlic, the garlic in the salsa, and wanting to get hands on the spicy version of it. I can't help but wonder how it might be to use the spicy pickled garlic in the spicy version of the salsa. Hmmmm....

About to get in trouble....again,
Robert

Great synopsis Zach!! You pretty much hit on most of the high points....but there were just too many to get all of them

"also... The salsa... man o' man. I never knew what I was missing until I had that. When a salsa is really garlic mixed with onion and a bit of tomato... such a thing of beauty! I need to try the spicy version next. And I also need a 55 gallon drum of it. maybe two..."

Ok, you and @snakehead are likely to think I've totally lost my mind but I had a thought. Like you, I love the super high garlic flavor in Gerald's salsa. That's really what sets it apart for me. You mentioned both my spicy pickled garlic, the garlic in the salsa, and wanting to get hands on the spicy version of it. I can't help but wonder how it might be to use the spicy pickled garlic in the spicy version of the salsa. Hmmmm....

About to get in trouble....again,
Robert

Not sure how the vinegar salsa would go but I'd be a willing test dummy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky