Some veggies.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've gotten quite fond of snacking on homemade pickled peppers. And discovered I was on my last jar. So I got a couple bags of Cubanelles. and a head of cauliflower. Ran low on vinegar so I only did half of the cauliflower.
For the brine I used a 1:1 water and vinegar, 1.5 quarts of each. And a 1/4 cup pickling salt.
A tsp of dill seed, dried minced onion, dried dill. And a couple pinches of fresh dill in each jar. Along with the proper amount of alum.

P5222225.JPG

Dude - loOove pickled cauliflower. Yours looks great. Like!

Sides are just as important as the smoked meat...so glad you posted this.

Do you pickle them in the house? How do you handle the smell?

Those look great haven't tried the peppers yet. I just popped open some of Al's pickles I did back in January and they were awesome. Still waiting on the asparagus needs a couple more months

Dude - loOove pickled cauliflower. Yours looks great. Like!

Sides are just as important as the smoked meat...so glad you posted this.

Do you pickle them in the house? How do you handle the smell?

Thanks! Yup, pickle in the house. Not much smell really. Other then the boiling vinegar. I keep the range vent on high. Then pour and vacuum seal right away.

Those look great haven't tried the peppers yet. I just popped open some of Al's pickles I did back in January and they were awesome. Still waiting on the asparagus needs a couple more months

Did you vacuum seal the jars? I know with pickles and Cauliflower they are ready in just a few days. I've got to try Asparagus.

Did the rest of the Cauliflower with Jalapenos and red onion. These should have a nice amount of tang.

P5252234.JPG

And I really wanted to know how pickled Asparagus tastes. So I got a small bunch to give it a try. Same method as the other veggies.

P5252243.JPG

After letting them sit for about 2 weeks I gave em a try. And, this is another time where I have to ask myself why didn't I do this long ago. They are great!

I love pickled cauliflower. I usually buy the stuff that's neon yellow in the jar. I bet the asparagus was good too.

Did your cauliflower turn purple in the jar with the red onions?

I love pickled cauliflower. I usually buy the stuff that's neon yellow in the jar. I bet the asparagus was good too.

Did your cauliflower turn purple in the jar with the red onions?

They did get a pink tint to them. Still good though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky