-17 degrees and the UDS is fired up going to pump out some Roast Beef (w/Qview) Need help ASAP!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well its cold as heck out but that's not going to stop me from trying to make my first roast beef slices. SmokingAl inspired me to give it a try. I picked up two Sirloin tip roasts which were around 3.5 lbs and $16 each but they were buy one get one free so I am going to smoke both of them and freeze a bunch for sandwiches when I am fishing or what not. I rubbed them with some garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, accent and canadian steak seasoning last night and let them rest in the fridge over night. This morning I put some more pepper, canadian steak and salt on them while I let them rest at room temp while I was getting the UDS fired up. They went on the UDS at 12:30 central time and I am figuring they will take around 4 hours give or take. I am going to pull them when they reach around 140 or so then let them rest in the fridge over night and I will slice them up tomorrow. I am trying out my new ET-732 but I was stupid and didn't check the calibration so I also put my ET-73 in the UDS so I can monitor their temps. I will check the calibration on the new one tonight. Here is some Qview so far and more to come later.

The two Sirloin Tip Roasts.

7ba9d338_DSC00442.jpg

All rubbed up and ready for a nap in the fridge over night.

e6f75475_DSC00443.jpg

Resting on the counter for their date in the UDS.

eec59e5e_DSC00447.jpg

It took a little while for my UDS to fire up in this cold weather. I had to use my charcoal iron to get my basket going as my torch quit or some reason. I don't think it liked being out in the cold. I tried to bring it inside and warm it up but only a small amount of gas will come out its like its clogged somewhere.

5d691ce0_DSC00444.jpg

More to follow.

Last edited:
Look at the bright side, at least you don't live in International Falls MN... the weatherman said it was -46º there this morning...

Yea it has been close to that around here and it sucks. At that temp there is a cool trick you can do. Take a boiling glass of water and you go outside and throw it up in the air and it all evaporates into a cloud and none of the water hits the ground. Pretty cool. I have done it several times and it works.

Wow I am such an idiot. I just had someone inform me that my roasts were pork and not beef.I had to go back to the pictures and look and sure enough. I didn't even pay attention to the label as I just asked for the buy one get one free thinking it was beef. So my question now is will this cut of pork (not beef) even work or turn out somewhat like a roast beef style slices if I continue as planned? Man I feel like an idiot.

Wow I am such an idiot. I just had someone inform me that my roasts were pork and not beef.I had to go back to the pictures and look and sure enough. I didn't even pay attention to the label as I just asked for the buy one get one free thinking it was beef. So my question now is will this cut of pork (not beef) even work or turn out somewhat like a roast beef style slices if I continue as planned? Man I feel like an idiot.

How 'bout just changing your plan to pulled Pork, like a butt, and do the Beef like Al's next time?

No big loss, except you gotta wait for what your heart was set for (Rare Beef).

Bear

I don't know what I should do now. Sliced roast pork sandwiches??? Do you think that will even work. The big issue I have is I was expecting around a 4 hour smoke so I gave myself 5 hours but we have something going on tonight so I don't have time to stick around and wait for it to get to pulled pork temps. I guess I might just have to take it to around 160 and pull it and try slicing it tomorrow and see what happens. 

I don't know what I should do now. Sliced roast pork sandwiches??? Do you think that will even work. The big issue I have is I was expecting around a 4 hour smoke so I gave myself 5 hours but we have something going on tonight so I don't have time to stick around and wait for it to get to pulled pork temps. I guess I might just have to take it to around 160 and pull it and try slicing it tomorrow and see what happens. 

With the time restraint you have, that might be your best shot, unless somebody else has a better idea.

Slice it thin, across grain--should be Okay--Hopefully

Bear

Well I probed them and they are both around the 150 range and I still have 3 hours before I have to leave. I might pull one at around 160 and try slicing it thin tomorrow for lunch meat and then leave the other one on until I have to go and I will slice that up thicker and make BBQ pork sandwiches. I'll make this work one way or another. But as Bear said now I still have to wait for my roast beef sandwiches. Boooooo

Whats wrong with sliced pork?

But since you got them up to temp (over 140)with a good amount of smoke throw them in the oven at 200°-205° and let them cook till the cows come home or you do. Thats just like slow cookin at its finest, pull them and eat like a king. Nothing wrong with slow cooking in the oven

Whats wrong with sliced pork?

But since you got them up to temp (over 140)with a good amount of smoke throw them in the oven at 200°-205° and let them cook till the cows come home or you do. Thats just like slow cookin at its finest, pull them and eat like a king. Nothing wrong with slow cooking in the oven

Definitely nothing wrong with sliced pork I just didn't think I had enough time to take them up to that high of a temp but they were small enough that I am going to be able to get it up to around 185+ before I have to leave. This will actually be the first time I will have sliced a piece of pork besides a loin as I usually pull my pork butts. And I also pulled the one out at 158 and I will see what thin sliced roast pork lunch meat will taste like. I'm kind of excited but it just wasn't what I had in mind for today. OH well live and learn and I will still get some great meals out of my stupid mistake so oh well.

I have had to pull mine from the smoker early before also.

If you can go to 165º then put them in the fridge overnite they will slice real well.

I think you will like it, Ofcourse it's not roast beef 
icon_cry.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now are theses thing pork rost or are they pork butts???Ok I see it nbow they are pork sirloin roast. I would take them puppies off the smoker now. Then let them rest and then into the refrig overnight and slice them thin and you will be happy with what you have. I know and I can feel it in my 65° outdoor kitchen today bones. Enjoy there Rbrans. LOL 

"Pork butts" are actually the shoulder, go figure.  Sirloin tip roasts are the thigh basically.  Sirloin tip anything is great if you ask me. 

"Pork butts" are actually the shoulder, go figure.  Sirloin tip roasts are the thigh basically.  Sirloin tip anything is great if you ask me. 

Yea that is kind of funny. The pork butt isn't actually the butt at all. Where do they come up with this stuff? Well the wife and I just had a couple of sandwiches from the roast I left on the smoker until around 175 and it was resting in the cooler with towels until we got home from the hockey game and still piping hot. I sliced it thick and it was good. Not super good as I was using a not so sweet rub as I though it was beef but it was still good stuff. I can't wait for tomorrow and see what the thin sliced lunch meat tastes like. I will post pics tomorrow.

The term 'butt' comes from the shipping method.  In Boston, They packed the shoulders into 'butts' or barrels for shipping; hence the name 'Boston Butts'.

Now, according to your label those are pork sirloin tip roasts.  This would be the same cut as in beef; if you look at a slice of ham, it would be the smaller muscle group above the bone:

3d41c944_hamparts.jpg

They do come from the leg and are lean, tender and should be absolutely delicious!  They wouldn't fare well being pulled, most definitely excellent for slicing!

Last edited:
Sounds like things are gonna work out just fine!

And you still have the fun of smoking that Roast Beef in your near future!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky