16 hours to smoke pork butts ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay5014

Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Mechanicsburg Pa
Smoked 2 5.5 pound butts yesterday at 225 using masterbuilt 30 electric. Did not use foil at all. Took 16 hours to hit 190.
Although they turned out awesome with really good bark it seems extremely long from what I have read.
Smoked 2 butts last month an 8 and 7 pounders and it took approximately 14 hours.

I thought cooking smaller butts this time would be shorter. Will consider using foil next time but will I sacrifice smoke and bark if I do.

Rookie smoker seeking wisdom. Thanks for any advice

Smoked 2 5.5 pound butts yesterday at 225 using masterbuilt 30 electric. Did not use foil at all. Took 16 hours to hit 190.
Although they turned out awesome with really good bark it seems extremely long from what I have read.
Smoked 2 butts last month an 8 and 7 pounders and it took approximately 14 hours.

I thought cooking smaller butts this time would be shorter. Will consider using foil next time but will I sacrifice smoke and bark if I do.

Rookie smoker seeking wisdom. Thanks for any advice
You can smoke the pork butts at 250 or 275 degrees. I cooked a 5.5 lb one the other day and it took 13 hours at 230 average temp. Just depends on thickness and density .

Last edited:
Newbie smoker here too, today was D-day smoked a 7lb butt, was up at 3am,smoker ready meat on at 4am UK time.had trouble keeping smoker below 330f (was using sand in water bowl for 1st time).Took a while for me to work it out, added water to the foiled sand and hay presto it started to drop.By 6am iwas at 115 IT ,by 715am IT was at 138f smoker at 265f,At 845am I was at. 159f smoker at 251f,so wrapped in foil and added a couple of handfuls of lump to the pan and waited, I was in the stall,950am the IT started to rise 165f,by 1040 IT was 192f at 1130am pork hit 205f pulled it of smoker wrapped in two beach towels and put in cool box,2pm pulled it out cut for a pic then pulled for rolls. Guests loved it, served as it was with sauce in pan if they wanted it.hope pics will show well so pls comment, all the best graham

I also like the 250-275* range. As far as the foil is concerned, the smoke and bark should be set before you need to wrap. Remember, the thickness and the density of the muscle will have an effect on the time, but time is just a secondary measurement. A butt ain't done until it's done.

Good luck and keep on smoking.

I prefer smoking at low temps. I usually do pork butt at 225 unless I'm in a hurry. It won't hurt it to go higher temps but if you have the time and don't rush it, low is good.

I used to do butts low & slow, but after trying the hot & fast method, I'm hooked.

270-280 is where I smoke them now.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky