13 Vegetable and Venison Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
With this Polar Vortex about to turn South Louisiana into the arctic, time for a hearty, warm the soul soup!
IMG_20221222_194706.jpg

Here is the recipe...ad libbed with venison and Beef Better than boullion. I did add a stick of butter and sauteed the trinity down with the meat first. Also added about 1 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce. Let the venison simmer for about 3 hours then put the soup together...

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/soups/meat05.htm

Veggies used:
Cabbage
Corn
Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Butternut Squash
sweet potatoes
Carrots
early english peas
Black Eyed peas
Red Beans
White Beans
Lima beans
Green Beans

Sure could go for a bowl of that. Have some beef oxtail in the fridge for tomorrow and hope to do it justice. The weather is perfect for soups.

That looks perfect. Very flavorful soup, delicious. You are colder than me, which is crazy, but all I’ve got going is a bean and bacon soup. Yours looks more fantastic than mine. Stay safe and warm. 33F here now. I’m praying for you southern brothers.

Perfect timing for that yummy soup.
Thanks jcam!

Sure could go for a bowl of that. Have some beef oxtail in the fridge for tomorrow and hope to do it justice. The weather is perfect for soups.
Thanks Checkdude. It is indeed perfect for soups.
That looks perfect. Very flavorful soup, delicious. You are colder than me, which is crazy, but all I’ve got going is a bean and bacon soup. Yours looks more fantastic than mine. Stay safe and warm. 33F here now. I’m praying for you southern brothers.
Thanks SE! I love Bean and Bacon soup too! Cold front just hit as the sun was going down....very eery indeed! Was 57*F then, will be 39*F by 10pm and 21 in the morning.
That would hit the spot :emoji_yum:
Thanks Winterrider!

I'd hit that hard Keith. Just lost power for the third time during this storm. Blizzard and windchill of -3.......it was 50 at 5pm. Nice work bud and stay warm down there In Da Swamp!

I'd hit that hard Keith. Just lost power for the third time during this storm. Blizzard and windchill of -3.......it was 50 at 5pm. Nice work bud and stay warm down there In Da Swamp!
How much snow do you have so far? I’m waiting for the crap to hit the fan here about 1AM.

How much snow do you have so far? I’m waiting for the crap to hit the fan here about 1AM.
Couple inches best I can tell but only been snowing for an hour. Supposed to keep going until 1am. The crazy thing is the wind and that's really kicking the snow around. Was nuts to go from 50 to -3 windchill in about an hour and a half. Supposed to hit -30

Reactions: jcam222
Storms are really gonna put a crimp on people's Christmas all over the country. Interstate thru ND to Montana was closed early today. I believe SD was closed also. Winds are expected to be worse here tomorrow even . Flights in numerous places canceled or delayed. Right now is our high temp of the day -12°. Ma nature really got torqued over something, geeez !

Big bowl for me please!! Looks amazing!
Thanks tbern! Soup was good, but be better tomorrow!
Thanks Jake! suppose to be 25-30mph winds with higher gusts most of the night. Got the outside water spigots dripping and got my fig tree covered with a thick black tarp. Will ride out this storm with plenty of soup!! LOL!
Keith , that looks fantastic .
Thanks Chop!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Soups the deal this time of year for sure and yours looks like a winner. Vegies not cooked to death and a lovely looking broth. Plus with all those beans if you lose power you will still have natural gas!
Did a soup the other night with spaghetti and butternut squash and it was a hit.
We are spose to get some freezing rain tonight and tomorrow here in Western Washington so I may take an extra day off!
Merry Christmas to all.

Wow, that looks incredible. Perfect for some cold weather comfort!
Thanks Jed!

Soups the deal this time of year for sure and yours looks like a winner. Vegies not cooked to death and a lovely looking broth. Plus with all those beans if you lose power you will still have natural gas!
Did a soup the other night with spaghetti and butternut squash and it was a hit.
We are spose to get some freezing rain tonight and tomorrow here in Western Washington so I may take an extra day off!
Merry Christmas to all.
Thanks cutplug! Good eye... I added the Cabbage, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots first, let them cook for about 15 minutes, then added the other veggies. Warmed that up to a simmer for 5 minutes, then added the broken up linguini pasta. done 12 minutes later...

Thanks Jed!

Thanks cutplug! Good eye... I added the Cabbage, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots first, let them cook for about 15 minutes, then added the other veggies. Warmed that up to a simmer for 5 minutes, then added the broken up linguini pasta. done 12 minutes later...
Nice, building a soup is like making 3 dishes then adding them at the appropriate time.
Almost ordered the Pozole at a Mexican place today and then realized it is no way going to be as good as chilerelleno chilerelleno Rojo recipe. So I ordered the chile relleno's instead!

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky