Smoked Chicken Noodle and Veggie Soup with QView!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
If you haven't used smoke chicken to make a chicken soup then you are missing out.  I had a couple of large chicken breasts smoked and in the freezer that I needed to do something with.

I also am a little under the weather and a chicken noodle soup was feeling like a really good idea.  Here are some pics of my giant bowl of soup and then a little more write up after :)

My head could fit in this bowl, I wasn't playing around today :)

Today I will keep this simpler than my normally detailed and structured posts :)  I had half an onion in the fridge, half a bag of frozen sliced bell pepper medely (red, yellow, orange, green), some minced garlic in the fridge, a box of penne noddles and a big can of mixed veggies in the pantry.  BOOM, soup ready!!! :)

I like using any kind of smoked chicken for soup, but I preferr the dark meat.  I only had chicken breast so I went with it.

Spice ingredients were a nice pinch of Sage, nice pinch of Thyme, Black Pepper, and Knorr brand Chicken Bouillon .

I sauteed the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and a couple of little hot peppers from my pepper plant, they were wilting and needed to be used.

Then I added water, canned mixed veggies, spices and chicken breast to the pot and brought to a good strong simmer.  I defrosted my chicken breast this way and then pulled them after a few minutes once they were mostly defrosted. I sliced up the chicken and set aside

Simmered for a total of 20 minutes once the simmer was going strong.

Key Move Here:

Add the chicken and dry noodles back to the pot and bring back to a strong simmer.

With a strong simmer, simmer for 12-14 minutes for the noodles to boil and be about al dente.  

****You don't want to over cook the noodles because they will sit in the hot soup and continue to soften up and you don't want them to turn to mush.

I have a love affair with soups and stews.  One thing about making a great chicken soup is to add a little red bell pepper to the soup, like half of one will do wonders.  I had a bell pepper medley so all the colored peppers were going to work great!

Additionally a pinch of Thyme and Sage and often a Bay leaf work magic as well for chicken soup.  Don't be afraid to add a good amount of black pepper as well.

Finally, a little bit of Lima beans and/or Peas will give that soup a nice vegetable taste that you don't get from just using onion, carrot, and potato.  Even if you don't like either one it only takes like one mini can or whatever exists in a can of mixed veggies to really come through in a chicken soup or in a beef vegetable soup/stew.

I hope this helps someone out there make a world glass chicken soup and I that's about it from me today.  Back to recuperating for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
I was going to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup over the open fire today but it's 90° here today. Way too hot to be standing around a fire.
I understand that.  I'm here in TX so we still have summer to continue until about the end of October.  I make soups during the summer but not as often as during our colder weather seasons.  Today was simply a case of fighting off a sinus infection that lead to the craving.  

The freakin ragweed is out and killing people's sinuses right now! 

Reactions: griz400
Very nice ... all winter long we do the same,... just too damn hot in Fla. right now .. we do the dutch oven chili as well 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif

Looks good get better,having some Menudo tomorrow its' suppose to be 90*

Richie

That is different from what I'm used to.. Looks and sounds so good!
I will try some peppers or Lima beans or peas some time.. I like all those. Smells good.. star is the smoked breast meat..

Last edited:

Very nice ... all winter long we do the same,... just too damn hot in Fla. right now .. we do the dutch oven chili as well 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif
Thanks! Yeah it's still a hot one for sure.

Looks good get better,having some Menudo tomorrow its' suppose to be 90*

Richie
Thanks... ah man Menudo!  If I feel better maybe I'll try and make some in my electric pressure cooker.  I have my mothers recipe when we did it in the same electric pressure cooker I bought for her.  You can have Menudo from start to finish in 1.5 hours!!!!
That is different from what I'm used to.. Looks and sounds so good!
I will try some peppers or Lima beans or peas some time.. I like all those. Smells good.. star is the smoked breast meat..
Oh yeah you will love it.  If you don't have an ingredient or are maybe a little skeptical feel free to omit or add a few at a time and watch how it just keeps getting better.  You won't be dissapointed! :)

While my recipe varies greatly from yours, I subbed the carcus from a smoked Thanksgiving turkey for the usual chicken wings and backs, in my chicken noodle soup. The result was a curious taste. Was not fully prepared for the smoke flavor in a soup and never had turkey noodle before. I liked it, but could see where many may turn up their nose at it.

While my recipe varies greatly from yours, I subbed the carcus from a smoked Thanksgiving turkey for the usual chicken wings and backs, in my chicken noodle soup. The result was a curious taste. Was not fully prepared for the smoke flavor in a soup and never had turkey noodle before. I liked it, but could see where many may turn up their nose at it.
I could see how some might find it odd. How often do you have a soup with any smoked meat, it is quite rare in my experience.

I love the flavor!

I also love turkey soup where I would just sub turkey in place of the chicken.

Great soup!  "Points"  I'm gonna try this when it gets cooler.

Mike
Excellent!

Another word to the wise, you may want to use a tiny noodle and feel free to double up on the broth.  After the soup sits for the day the noodles will soak up the broth like crazy.  It will become more like the canned Thick and Chunky where the broth is light and well it's chunky.

I didn't really have any tiny noodles and I have plenty of full sized penne noodles to used so I went with it.  I also kind of like when they get big and the soup thickens up, as long as the noodles don't get mushy.  I initially cook them to al dente and turn off the heat to avoid getting mushy.

Best of luck! :)

I used to use extra fine egg noodles and did not have much problem with noodles soaking all the broth. They did some but not like reg pasta. They cooked up to look and taste much like the ones used in THE name brand.The manufacturer closed it's doors and my soup hasn't been the same since.

I used to use extra fine egg noodles and did not have much problem with noodles soaking all the broth. They did some but not like reg pasta. They cooked up to look and taste much like the ones used in THE name brand.The manufacturer closed it's doors and my soup hasn't been the same since.
That sucks to hear that your noodle is gone.  I always buy clearanced rice, noodles, and canned veggies/beans/tomato.  This is why I have so many Penne noodles.  I like them for holding sauce in spaghetti type dishes as well :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky