12th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 1-3, 2023 - Pictures Added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Our 12th (13th year) Gathering will be December 1-3, 2023 at Highland Hammock State Park (Sebring, FL) with the main day being Saturday the 2nd.

Sites & Attendees
Site 80 - Russ and Libby Mills (Friends of Doug's from the neighborhood)
Site 81 - Doug ( dougmays dougmays )
Site 82 - Jeramy ( jarjarchef jarjarchef )
Site 84 - @j-regn
Site 85 - carol506 carol506 & Jon
Site 87 - Mark ( Discus39 Discus39 )
Site 88 & 89 - Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 )
Site 125 - fxsales1959 fxsales1959
Site 128 - John ( Fueling Around Fueling Around )
Site 135 - Robert (@Fife )

Events (all optional and not taken too seriously, all times below are open for change) :
- Welcome Weenie Roast
- Keiths famous ham and sides provided by others
- Family style Potluck, Saturday ~5-6pm
- Fun & Friendly Rib Competition on Saturday ~5pm (before it gets dark)
- Cocktail competition Saturday ~3pm
- Games and camaraderie all all the time, if you have a favorite game or activity please bring it (examples: Cornhole/BagToss, ring toss, horseshoes, etc.....)

Last edited:
I have not made the Fort Myers trip so can not comment on that. But does sound better. But I would chose Orlando over Tampa.

Robert... Since it's the same drive time from airports... Fort Myers is a lot smaller (less people,BS) and the drive would be way less traffic as you'll pretty much go backroads once you get out of Ft. Myers
Well it's a done deal. SWA opened up holiday booking so airline tix, rental car, and hotel have all been booked. I'll land at Ft. Meyer Thursday the 30th at 12:15 then drive to Sebring. Will be ready for afternoon beers by the time I get there, that's for sure :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: dougmays
Well it's a done deal. SWA opened up holiday booking so airline tix, rental car, and hotel have all been booked. I'll land at Ft. Meyer Thursday the 30th at 12:15 then drive to Sebring. Will be ready for afternoon beers by the time I get there, that's for sure :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Good deal... I'm already ready for the cooler weather...

Reactions: bmudd14474

Robert
Outstanding.
Don't know the drive from Ft Meyer, but Orlando or Tampa is going to be well over 3 hours.

After several months of dealing with health issues John has clean bill of health so we plan on wandering down for ar least 1 day, hopefully 2. Looking for clean, comfortable hotel which will determine weather one or two days.

Reactions: Fueling Around
As requested, getting an early start to setting up a thread for the next South Florida Gathering. It'll be December 1-3, 2023 at Highland Hammock State Park (Sebring, FL) with the main day being Saturday the 2nd.

NOTE: Let's keep chatter to a minimum, for now, to allow others to see what's going on with the North Florida Gathering (April 2023) and other sooner events :)

Sites & Attendees
Site 84 - @j-regn

...more information to come
jesus what a a pain..... site 125 check in thurs chck out sun.

IMG-4160.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for that tip. I checked and SWA does fly into Orlando. It's pretty much the same distance as Ft. Meyer and if you say it's an easier drive, I'll take that every day. Still too far out to book flights but I keep checking. I'll be flying in on Thursday and staying close by through the event. Will drive back to Orlando on Sunday for the flight out Monday morning. I don't want to have to deal with a 2 hour drive to the airport the morning I'm flying back home.

Robert
Just my $.02 it's not just miles. Getting from TPA out to the country, per se' can be a real charley Foxtrot on weekdays, epecially drive time. From MCO it's less traffic hassle. Ft Fort Myers it less stressful with commute on state highways which can be more relaxing. you'll be ready for adult beverages either way.

As requested, getting an early start to setting up a thread for the next South Florida Gathering. It'll be December 1-3, 2023 at Highland Hammock State Park (Sebring, FL) with the main day being Saturday the 2nd.

NOTE: Let's keep chatter to a minimum, for now, to allow others to see what's going on with the North Florida Gathering (April 2023) and other sooner events :)

Sites & Attendees
Site 84 - @j-regn

site 125 check in thursdy chck out Sunday

I can't speak for Tampa or Ft.Myers, but Orlando (MCO) I can.

If that is the way you choose to go. Take 417 to I4 west. If you do not get through that area by 2pm, plan on hitting traffic where you merge onto I4 until you pass Champions Gate. After that usually clears up. Then take Hwy 27 South until you get to Sebring. You will se signs for Hiland Hammock State Park. Other than the congestion on I4 if you are later than 2pm, it's just the lights on Hwy 27 until you pass Haines City. After that it is usually a decent drive.

We live in Haines City, so kinda numb to it.

Sites & Attendees
Site 84 - @j-regn

It's been a long minute since we've been able to attend due to soccer schedules, but got site 85. Fingers crossed we'll be able to make it this year and reconnect with people.

Hey Everyone! I've been crazy busy and finally got a chance to get on here to catch up.

carol506 carol506 - I'm really glad to hear that John's health has improved and that y'all are able to attend!

I've updated the first post with campsite information!

The girlfriend (yep...got one of those for the first time in a long time :emoji_laughing: ) and I will be heading down Thur-Sunday!

Less than 2 months away!!!! Who's excited?! I've been planning my cocktail to finally take down jarjarchef jarjarchef and his reign of cocktail dominance :)
Very excited to get to eat some BBQ finally.....

Not sure about the cocktail comp. We have only done 2 of them and won only one, so no dominance here.

I am working on a new chocolate glaze for the ribs 🤣😂🤣😂. Tired of losing, need to finally get a win there.

I've got a few weeks to go before getting excited, Doug. Cold and wet up here so until we cross the Florida line to get away from this crap, I'll get pumped up.
Hoping to make a smoked side this year. Planning on a potato based dish if my garden produces.

HUHHHH .. not eating any BBQ ?? That's a sin ...

Hopefully things will go my way and won't have to wait till the last minute... Some how I forgot to put in for PTO for those dates to guarantee me the time off... Seems somebody else had already put in for those dates... Only one person is guaranteed PTO... any others will be only if we don't have a ship on those dates... So we will see...

I am working on a new chocolate glaze for the ribs

I have been working on a Peanut Butter And Jelly (think Smuckers) glaze... :emoji_laughing::emoji_astonished::emoji_wink: ... Very close to perfection... Believe I should have it down by then...

Not sure about the cocktail comp. We have only done 2 of them and won only one, so no dominance here.

I am working on a new chocolate glaze for the ribs 🤣😂🤣😂. Tired of losing, need to finally get a win there.
Ah! that's right, Discus39 Discus39 one with the mini beers last year! I thought you had a 2 win record
HUHHHH .. not eating any BBQ ?? That's a sin ...

Hopefully things will go my way and won't have to wait till the last minute... Some how I forgot to put in for PTO for those dates to guarantee me the time off... Seems somebody else had already put in for those dates... Only one person is guaranteed PTO... any others will be only if we don't have a ship on those dates... So we will see...

I have been working on a Peanut Butter And Jelly (think Smuckers) glaze... :emoji_laughing::emoji_astonished::emoji_wink: ... Very close to perfection... Believe I should have it down by then...
Keith - if we have to bribe that boss of yours with bbq or whatever else, you're coming!

Keith don't worry. I get my share of BBQ. I will finally get to cook MY BBQ. Been crazy busy at home, so no cooking at home.

Mini 🍺 👍
The time is getting closer. Time to tighten up and get things in order. For those who don't want to sleep in tents I reccomend outdoorsy.com for your rental arrangements. I have confirmed doug does have a girlfriend now. She is awsome and will be a great addition to the group

Attachments

• 20230916_094741.jpg
    20230916_094741.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230916_105812.jpg
    20230916_105812.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky