#12 LEM grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blackdogbbq21

Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
I'm planning to upgrade my grinder and am looking hard at a #12 LEM. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks that have them and see who's happy with that size and if anyone wishes they went bigger. Pretty typical batches for me are 10 pounds or so, occasionally i might do 20 pounds. I'm debating on the #22 but my biggest hesitation is the #22 is about 15 pounds heavier than the 12. I know i will store the grinder away between uses so i don't want to kill myself moving a huge grinder. Just want to make sure the #12 shouldn't smear fat or bog down double grinds at the batch sizes i'll likely do.

thanks in advance

Reactions: JC in GB
I have the #8 but wished I would have bought the #12. In reality though the 8 eats meat about as fast as I can feed it. The 12 has a bigger throat which is nice but not totally necessary. Then I bought the dual grind head and really like it but then realized that had I bought the #12 then wanted the dual grind head, they only make that in #8 it fits both the #12 and 8 but is a #8. Same with the #22 and #32 the make a dual grind head for them as well but it is a #22

All in all if you don’t want the dual grind attachment then the #12 will be nice but if so just get the #8 with the dual grind. These machines eat meat and produce a nice premium grind. You will be happy.

The #12 is a good size grinder. I have one. I have put it through a lot of use. Good for batches up to 100#, but if you are doing more than that I would go bigger. Buy 2 extra auger tips and 2 extra nylon washers. Also helps to have dedicated knives for each plate you run.

Last edited:
Lem has 20% of through Monday I think. If you are going to do it, now it's a good time. Trying to decide to get the #8 or #12 myself. Not interested in double bite. Here to watch for more experiences.

I’ve had my LEM #12 Big Bite for almost 5 yrs. I process approximately 100lbs. a year usually in 15-20 lb. batches. It grinds anything and everything I’ve thrown at it quickly. When doing a double grind I put the 1st grind in the freezer for 20 min. and slowly feed it down to the auger, easy
peasy. I think you’ll be very happy with it.

Not that it was mentioned but the #12 is the smallest grinder that takes all attachments if deciding to do other things than just use for a grinder.

I downsized from a cabelas 12 to a LEM 5. I only do small batches now.

I'm planning to upgrade my grinder and am looking hard at a #12 LEM. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks that have them and see who's happy with that size and if anyone wishes they went bigger. Pretty typical batches for me are 10 pounds or so, occasionally i might do 20 pounds. I'm debating on the #22 but my biggest hesitation is the #22 is about 15 pounds heavier than the 12. I know i will store the grinder away between uses so i don't want to kill myself moving a huge grinder. Just want to make sure the #12 shouldn't smear fat or bog down double grinds at the batch sizes i'll likely do.

thanks in advance

I have LEM #12 grinder. I usually run batches of 40 - 75 pounds of meat and it works just fine for that.

I also use the motor base to run my meat mixer.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: indaswamp
What size mixer do you have? 25, 50, or 100#? How do you like it?
Also How big a hassle is it to clean? I have the Cabela's 7 gallon (33 pounds meat) that attaches to my #22 grinder. its a hassle for sure.

What size mixer do you have? 25, 50, or 100#? How do you like it?

I have a 50 pound mixer. I like it a lot. Cleanup isn't bad but the unit is bulky which makes cleaning a bit of a hassle. A 25# unit may be easier to clean. I would rather clean it up after mixing 60 lbs of meat than doing the mixing myself where I would have to clean a tub anyway.

Also How big a hassle is it to clean? I have the Cabela's 7 gallon (33 pounds meat) that attaches to my #22 grinder. its a hassle for sure.
I once had a 20 pound meat mixer (only mixed about 17 pounds) that I ditched due to cleaning hassle.
I now use a bucket or a cooler with a 12Amp corded drill and a long sheetrock mud mixer paddle. Mixing meat in that is a breeze and cleanup is a water hose, some dawn, a paper towel and the yard in like 3-5 min! :D

I max 10-15 pounds of meat easily in like 3 min or so. I could do more but dont stress the motor on the drill. It's easy to just measure out 10 pounds at a time and measure out 10 pounds of seasoning/slurry to add to it.

Just some food for thought on mixing :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky