Zucchini & Yellow squash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brianj517

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 3, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Hey Kids!

I have some fresh zuccini & yellow squash in the garden that will be ready for pickin' in about a week or so. Now, everyone knows that squash can be roasted, sauteed, breaded & deep fried, or even casserolled...But has anyone tried smokin' it? I'm interested in any ideas or recipes, if anyone's got any. I was thinking of tossin' some in the box alongside of a couple of chickens next weekend...

Cheers!
Brian

Brian,
I have heard of smokin squash by splitting them lenghwise, coring out the seeds, and stuffing with some kind of meat and cheese mixture. I will look in my books to see if I can find something. (got my curiosity up)

I have not tried this before, but since I ended up with about 9 Zucchini from the garden today with more on the way, I was thinking of doing them in the smoker for a few hours this weekend. I figured I would cut in 1/2" thick slices lengthwise, rub them with Olive Oil and then sprinkle them with some salt and a good coating of Italian Breadcrumbs mixed with grated parmesan (romano) cheese.

Who knows, might just be good. Worse case I get some of that zucchini out of the fridge!

I don't see where you could hurt the squash. I grill squash a lot when grilling. Cut 'em in half lengthwise, a little olive oil, and seasonings does it right. I would think the smoke treatment would be good. Probably wouldn't take too long to soften up even at normal smoking temperatures.

Sure would be worth a try.

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd post a follow-up to let y'all know what I did, since I started the subject.

First, I cut up the zucchini & squash into medium sized pieces suitable for skewering kebob style. Then, alternating the colors for effect, I skewered the pieces along with cubanelle peppers ( also from my garden) and a purple onion.

Just prior to cooking, I brushed on a light coating of extra virgin olive oil and seasond with salt, pepper, dried crushed rosemary and garlic.

My grill was prepped with a foil pouch full of oak. Since my smoker was full of other goodies, I was using the grill to smoke roast several ears of sweet corn and a foil pan of red potatoes.

Grilling directly over medium heat, I grilled the kebobs just long enough to lightly soften the veggies ( about 1-2 minutes per side) and leave those beautiful grill marks. Served as a side to the pulled pork. (earlier today, I posted in the pork section to describe the mop sauce that I used, for anyone who's interested).

Everything was fabulous!

Cheers,
Brian

Well I spoted this post this afternoon while I was smoking and just happened to have one tiny zuckini and Yellow squash in the fridge so I tried it.

I sliced them into circles, salted and peppered with canjun spice and diped them in flour and egg just as I normally do then threw them in the corner of the smoker on a hunk of tin foil with holes poked in and spritzed the foil with non stick and the squash with olive oil.

Very yummy! I think I'll try smoking egg plant slices for an egg plant parmisan next time I find some good ones. Bet that would be good!

Debi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky