YS640 comp vs Rec Tec Bull comp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rec Tec Bull or Yoder YS 640

• Bull Competition Package

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Yoder YS640 Competition

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlud

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Greetings all,

I have lurked and read for years, but going to move on from wsm and join the pellet grill/smoker ranks. I am fortunate to have a decent budget, and appreciate buying something to keep for a long time. Im looking at these two which will come out surprisingly close on cost. Most people I believe perceive the Yoder to be of "higher quality" because its thicker material, but it is made in the US. The Rec Tec Bull is made in China, but has some nice features such as wifi controller and includes a couple of probes. Ill make a brief pros and cons, but before I drop some serious money, I felt I should consult the experts.

Rec Tec Bull - would get with competition bundle (200 lbs pellets, cooking mats, searing kit, cover, front shelf) and the competition cart for stability. Price around 2,075 shipped to my door for all.

Pros - 6 year warranty on everything, PID, wifi controller, 40 lbs hopper, low burn rate reported by users, two probes that apparently work good and in sync with controller. By all reports fantastic customer service. Ceramic ignition system 100k cycles. Get a cover, mats, and searing kit that wouldn't get on yoder.

Cons - made in China, don't have one to see local and put hands on.

Yoder YS640 - would get competition grill with stainless shelves, no other options. Waiting on quote, would buy from closest dealer which happens to be in a no sales tax state...guessing is around the 2,100 mark.

Pros - Made in US, thicker material, great rep, can put hands on a couple hours away

Cons - No wifi controller, no probes, lower warranty except for box (only 1 year on igniter), rod igniter that likely would need replaced.

What am I missing here? Im leaning toward the Rec Tec Bull loaded up....I dont really need the cart on either, but then again I dont really need either...so....Appreciate any input and experiences to help make a tough decision. What would make Yoder worth spending just as much or more for less features? thank you!

I bought the RecTec Bull about 4 weeks ago. I’m impressed with the weight of it, it’s heavy. They had very fast shipping. I received it in less than 7 days. The WiFi is silly, I can adjust my temperatures while out and about running errands. I have no regrets with the RecTec. I did get the competition cart and smoke box with it as well. So far I’ve cooked ribs, chicken and pork butt. Tonight my first brisket is going on for tomorrow.

Not looking at a MAK? For that budget I would definitely be looking at them. I'm a total newbie of course but have read 100's of pages on forums trying to pick one. If I had the budget, and the experience to warrant that high quality of a unit, it's what I would buy in a heartbeat.
Derrick

Well I did see the Mak...wasn’t sure on it. I have seen tons of positive reviews, and actually surprised to find the one star on sale for around 1,500 right now with free delivery...Guess that ones in the mix too...

Well I did see the Mak...wasn’t sure on it. I have seen tons of positive reviews, and actually surprised to find the one star on sale for around 1,500 right now with free delivery...Guess that ones in the mix too...
The additional Flamezone also seems to be a real game changer for searing, plus it won't have the rust issues people talk about with the yoder. Don't get me wrong, I like the Yoder, but when I truly started comparing and reading the hundreds of raves of the MAK it made up my mind. The one other problem for me (besides being above and beyond my budget and skill level) on the MAK was they don't ship to Canada. Yet. The 2 Star General does include the Flamezone if I remember correctly. But many have the 1 star (which is all I wanted) and it suits their needs perfectly. Just my researched opinions without ever using or seeing one! Haha
Derrick

Keep agonizing over it. I live in the pacific NW so the stainless vs Yoder rust worries me. I don’t want to be tied to the smoker so the controlling it from miles away and included probes that are part of the WiFi seems awesome for kids events and such. Sear station included in packaged from rec etc and unit hits very high temp so supposedly grill with no issues or extra 400 dollar flame station.

Perry’s sure mind is made up. For those that voted for the Yoder...May I ask the why?

Thanks again for all help.

Bigpoppasmokers has the 2 Star for $2199 right now. I do understand the draw to the wifi. One thing that REALLY impressed me, which is small but says something about the company, when I emailed about dealers in Canada, instead of just replying "Sorry, we don't have any at this time" , I got a phone call the very next day from a Caleb to explain why and what they were doing to try to address the problem. He also filled me in on the new features of the grill that isn't released yet. It was very nice, personal. Seemed like a great guy and super easy to talk to. If I were you, I would at least give him a call and chat, maybe the new features are worth the wait, although I do remember him telling me that almost every new option was actually able to be retrofitted to previous models (I think there were a couple that weren't). It's a long term purchase, I'd take the time to know for sure. Try giving them a call 503-623-1234. Tell him that crazy Canadian sent ya! Haha oh and just so everyone knows, I have NOTHING to do with them, I won't be able to afford one of them for many many years, I'm looking at a GMG which is more in my price range at this time. I like researching before I buy something and I try to learn as much as I can about every option before I decide. Not trying to muddy the waters, but better to buy once, cry once! (One of our slogans on our boating forum)
Derrick

The new Traegers that came out this week look cool. Double-walled and wi-fi control like the Timberland series, but some more affordable options.

Reactions: sweetride95
As far as the Yoder if you decide to go with the 640 yes the stainless shelves are worth it, That's the one thing I wish I'd done and still might swap them out. Get the top slide in shelf and the 2 piece defuser so you have quick access to the fire box. Ashes must be removed from this box before you fire it up each time and that trap door makes that easy. I also recommend grill grates so you can sear/cook over the direct flame. I guess wifi would be nice but I don't miss it since I've never had it. Good luck on your choice and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever make/model you purchase. Be sure and post pics when you do (if no pics it never happened!)

So I was looking through the Yoder forums last night as still debating a ys640 or maybe even a ys480 to be frugal as they do have a strong following. The forums talked about the grease from cooks stripping paint and causing rust on the body, and the constant need for sanding and repainting. I also saw a lot about igniter replacements, which are 40 bucks a pop to the point where people have spares of this and the transducer on hand as frequent failures. Then, I found a lot about the wire shelves rusting as well...so the stainless ones would be a nice option even if getting the competition cart model of either..but as mentioned I live in the NW with lots of rain and humidity for much of the year (I can keep in heated garage to help). A dealer in Oregon has these about 3 hours away, and no sales tax there at least.

I did notice MAK is made in Oregon as well, so they are a bit further from me but the closeouts as mentioned and no bad feedback there. Ill see if they answer me, if its possible to buy from them direct instead at all on closeouts or something...scratch and dent sales :)

Rec Tec Bull....I think what worries me is I can't find ANY bad reviews of these...like the inter web has been scrubbed clean of any negativity at all. Its amazing to see tons of 5 star reviews on every product or accessory they have...like too good to be true? Have an email into them as well with some questions awaiting a response.

Reactions: BulldogsCadillac
I got an email back from Rec Tec just a few minutes ago...here is some of what they had to say when I asked them why the Bull was "more better" than the Yoder or Mak...ill summarize.

1. Off set firepot on Yoder, have to use baffle to adjust. Says on Bull you can put a chicken breast in every corner and middle and have it come out the same.

2. Pellet consumption - Yoder is a good build, but estimate 3-3.5x pellet consumption on the ys640.

3. Warranty - as mentioned, 6 year warranty on all but paint. Talks about ignitor rod and the wear on them, that they typically last 12-18 months. Estimated 5 times longer on the ceramic plus its covered, not just a 1 year.

4. Customer service pitch - phone numbers, etc

5. PID controller that is wifi capable, built in meat probes, 304 stainless, hopper size, ceramic, service...

For the MAK 1 star, they complimented it as a solid grill, but noted the much smaller size and higher initial cost and add ons to get it to where the BUL comes at.

Rec Tec Bull....I think what worries me is I can't find ANY bad reviews of these...like the inter web has been scrubbed clean of any negativity at all. Its amazing to see tons of 5 star reviews on every product or accessory they have...like too good to be true? Have an email into them as well with some questions awaiting a response.

I don't have any proof but when I was looking to get a grill I wondered the same thing and was told Rec Tec goes through and removes bad reports form all the sites.

I got an email back from Rec Tec just a few minutes ago...here is some of what they had to say when I asked them why the Bull was "more better" than the Yoder or Mak...ill summarize.

1. Off set firepot on Yoder, have to use baffle to adjust. Says on Bull you can put a chicken breast in every corner and middle and have it come out the same.

2. Pellet consumption - Yoder is a good build, but estimate 3-3.5x pellet consumption on the ys640.

3. Warranty - as mentioned, 6 year warranty on all but paint. Talks about ignitor rod and the wear on them, that they typically last 12-18 months. Estimated 5 times longer on the ceramic plus its covered, not just a 1 year.

4. Customer service pitch - phone numbers, etc

5. PID controller that is wifi capable, built in meat probes, 304 stainless, hopper size, ceramic, service...

For the MAK 1 star, they complimented it as a solid grill, but noted the much smaller size and higher initial cost and add ons to get it to where the BUL comes at.
More better lol. I am looking at the spitts and pitts maverick 1250, grill comany near me says they are built better then the ys640. Which is saying something

More better lol. I am looking at the spitts and pitts maverick 1250, grill comany near me says they are built better then the ys640. Which is saying something
That Maverick does look like a nice rig, with a hefty $$$ tag. Yikes...

So emailed MAK after found out they are like a nice 4 hour drive away. Heck of a deal if you go pick one up...but it would be a MY18 one star. I’d have to add wireless controller onto it....so it’s between MAK and Rec Tec at this point. The Yoder dealer I contacted 4 days ago never answered...so makes that one easy.

If it were me I would go for the P&S Maverick 1250, When I was doing all my research there were many cases of guys getting rid of their Yoders and getting Maverick's but I never saw anyone getting rid of a Maverick and getting a Yoder. You should also check out the new generation Traegers that are available in April. Lots of new upgrades and they sound nice.

I read and researched a ton and bought the rec tec Bull. Its killer man. Bought it around thanksgiving (comp package). First use was below zero tremps with the cold weather blanket. it kicks ass every time. fires up fast, wifi remote, company is crazy responsive custom service. Made the best product on every cook. their could be only good reviews because its that good...i dunno how a company could scrub out all bad reviews from the internet...seems unlikely to me.

I passed on Yoder due to weight and rust. Mak was close but cost prohibitive. Wouldn't touch much else.

I just went and looked at the Mavericks they are really nice pits. He had one with a scratched lid for a couple hundred less but I figure might as scratch it up myself I ordered a 1250 the rack sizes on that thing are awesome 24”x36”

Guess I need to weigh in on the Yoder side. I love my 640. The dual fans mean the baffles does nothing but fine tune the temps. I like to have a slight variance in my temps for thicker points and thinner flats or when two butts come out of the stall at different times. In illinois. My Comp Cart is kept under the cover and have had no issues with repainting etc in three years. I agree with the two piece diffuser and stainless steel shelves. I have grill grates and would put the reverse sear steaks that come off the 640 up with some of the best steak houses. My Weber Genesis rarely comes out anymore. I havent found the need to adjust my temp via wifi because the Yoder just settles in on whatever I need it to. I do have the Tappecue (original and touch) so that I can keep an eye on things but its mainly about stalls and knowing its time to probe with a toothpick. Good luck in your search and let me know if I can answer any more questions about the YS640. (BTW- Customer service was awesome this thanksgiving. Only thing I have ever had wrong with my unit was a fan bearing did not like the cold weather. Yoder overnighted me another so that my Turkey came out perfect)

Well after much internal debate and an excel spreadsheet ranking stuff...I think I reached a decision.

The MAK one star seems to be great, but space is limited and have to buy a 400 grill zone thing....and at end of day can’t make it bigger.

Rec Tec was the winner on my spreadsheet for values and features, but feel like I’m paying for a features and maybe sacrificing build quality overall...this is purely subjective by me. The screening of their pages worry’s me somewhat....comparing to Yoder for example Yoder has some complaints and has had to address them...but they are there.

And that leaves Yoder....I plan to go pick up the YS640 tomorrow from a dealer in Oregon. Getting grill grates, griddle, 2 piece diffuser and regular cart. I’m skipping the stainless shelves for now as I will keep in in a garage when not in use. I like the idea that will have a smoker built to last years, made in the USA, and I can add WiFi probes or whatever other stuff i want. Interestingly enough this one finished last on my spreadsheet...but the fact I can go pick it up and have it now with no sales tax helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky