You might want to buy a cow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlk18

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Great Plains
We buy all of our meat producer-direct, sans the occaisional run to Costco. Our favorite producer uses a local meat locker that does a phenominal job, offers free local delivery, and has better prices than any other meat locker within 60 miles. They just don't do "fancy" and special requests better be reasonable or the answer will be no.

A month or two back we received the half cow we ordered last year and put it straight into the grilling/smoking deep freezer. We paid $2.15/lb plus processing. We then immediately ordered another half cow which will be delivered somewhere around late September or October. Pricing went up to $2.55/lb and the lady said she was anticipating $3.00-$3.25/lb by summer. The cost of processing is also likely to go up. Which of course means at the super market these increases will add up to a whole lot more tsince they also pass on the costs of storage, transportation, packaging, advertising, etc. to the consumer. At this rate in 2023 we will all be showcasing smoked Spam burnt ends or reverse seared Vienna sausages and Costco will have briskets available financed for 3 easy payments.

Reactions: bigbuck
Dont see nothing getting cheaper. Saw numbers around 21%+ for inflation if you figure food and gas in the mess.

Reactions: mlk18
I just purchased half a beef from a local farmer and he charged me $1.62 a pound hanging weight plus processing, i too am figuring this will be the last time i see that price again

Reactions: mlk18
The biggest issue we are having around here is getting kill dates. The processors around here have been booked solid since the covid thing started. Used to, you could call and get a spot within a couple three weeks. Right now, you have to book a spot months in advance.

During the heat of covid our butcher's were at least 12 months out
Similar here. We reserve kill dates when we think we will need them, and call the processor to cancel if we aren't bringing anything. We give them plenty of time to book someone else in if we aren't going to use the spot. We let them know up front that we may not use our spot, and they are fine with it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Please don't call it a cow, unless your buying a cow which I hope your not. Picking up half a steer next week, will be taking in our pigs this fall. Feel sorry for the folks who buy meat from the store.

I work a couple days a week at my son-in-laws locker and they are book through 2023 for kill dates
Like that about everywhere, I'd imagine. I've never seen processors booked up like now.

I talked to the butcher at the local grocer here, and he told me that the prices are going to continue rising. The scary part was his next statement. Certain cuts aren't selling and they wind up tossing a portion of it. The cuts that aren't selling(because of price) they're going to discontinue carrying them. So at least around here it may get harder to find good steaks and roasts.

Chris

$2 per lb hanging weight is a great price. I wouldn't sell my beef that cheap.
But you all are right about prices going up. And kill dates are really far out.
I raise one Dexter per year for us to put in the freezer, and never need to buy grocery beef.
Now we have to reserve a spot with the processor a year in advance; used to be only a few months.

For me, I was fortunate to finally find a walk in cooler after years of watching for one to hang deer in we kill every year. Plan was to also kill a hog when needed. Hadn’t really planned on beef, but like everyone else can’t get in to butcher shop when needed. So now I also butcher our beef. Wishing now I’d have done this years ago.

This thread seems to be going in the wrong direction. Remember we are all here to talk about smoking meat & all the sub forums we have, provide many opportunities to talk about just about anything but politics & religion. That being said, I’m not real happy about the price of meat either, or the price of anything for that matter. :emoji_disappointed:
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky