• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

You have to crawl before you can walk

SmokeyLee15

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 13, 2021
Can’t get enough of my new Rec Teq, picked up a Chuck Roast. Did a Memphis rub and ran it at 240 until IT was 165 then wrapped it in foil and threw it back on the smoker until IT was 205. Wasn’t as juicy and tender as I would have liked, I’m new to smoking. It was snowing and sleeting shortly after I fired it all up. Still tasty and delicious!
63A3D077-5F15-4EBD-A17A-B8D3409AB0F0.jpeg

E22C4792-791C-482E-9D2D-11B601312638.jpeg

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
An unwrapped chuck is the most frustrating hunk of meat on the planet. You definitely cannot cook to temp. It might probe tender at 200F, or not until 215F. That chuck wasn't ready at 205F.

I struggled with chucks for years until I ate a beautifully tender juicy chuck roast at a church meal before a family funeral. I asked the Texas octogenarian her secret. She leaned over and whispered, "Dear, you gotta cook the snot out of it."

I took her wisdom to heart and haven't eaten a dry or tough chuckie since.

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I've also yet to master the chuck roast. I still buy 'em and try though. If i dont like they way they turn out i cut it up and use it for soup or chili. Yours looks pretty good.
Jim

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I love cooking chuck roasts. They're so great. I don't always do this but some of my best roasts happen when I pull them off the smoker around 160-170 and throw them into a dutch oven with broth and whatever else I want. Then, into the oven (or keep on the smoker) until they're probe/fork tender. Like noboundaries noboundaries siad, temp can vary a lot!

That still looks like a darn good roast!

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Looking at those slices of cooked meat, that appears to be a shoulder, not a chuck. Same neck of the woods on the cow, but a little different. They'll often times be labeled "Beef Chuck Shoulder". I'd need a pic of it unseasoned to be sure....

I was thinking the same thing based on the lack of fat marbling.

857549_cimg9301.jpg

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
All in all, nice job!
I would not turn down a couple of those slices.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sure looks good!
Al

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great, Lee !!!
However I agree that it doesn't appear to be a Chuck Roast.
I wouldn't care as long as it tastes as good as it looks!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
The first chuckie I smoked came out great. I thought I was onto something since at that time they were fairly cheap (not anymore, a choice brisket packer is cheaper by the lb). The next two were dry. I finally tried cooking them like a brisket with wrapping and probing for doneness and that helped.
Nowadays if I grit my teeth and pay the price they go in a roaster with potatoes, carrots and onions in the oven....
Yours looks dandy from here :-)

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
The first chuckie I smoked came out great. I thought I was onto something since at that time they were fairly cheap (not anymore, a choice brisket packer is cheaper by the lb). The next two were dry. I finally tried cooking them like a brisket with wrapping and probing for doneness and that helped.
Nowadays if I grit my teeth and pay the price they go in a roaster with potatoes, carrots and onions in the oven....
Yours looks dandy from here :-)
Yup, I'm constantly on the lookout for under $6.99 Chuckies.
We just saw them at Giant for $4.49. I ordered 2.
They'll be SV bound---One at 131°.
The other at 165° for pulled Beef.
That's if it wasn't a Mirage. I checked "Do Not Substitute".

Bear

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
We can usually get boneless chuck roast for around $3.59-$3.99/lb on sale for choice this year. Last year they were $2.99/lb on sale regularly....
Haven't seen those prices for a Long Time!!!
And you live where??
Put that in your profile, and we wouldn't have to ask you.

Bear

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I thought that I had that in, but will check it out.....
Now it's there--Thanks!!
Dang I wish I still had those prices on Chucks---My SV would love it too!!!

Bear

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
$6.99 Chuckies
YIKES! :emoji_astonished:

I can usually find them on sale for $3.79 lb down here in SE Arizona.
And when I do, I stock up.

Last week my local grocery store had a very nice selection of Top Round on sale for $2.79 lb. Picked up a nice thick one for a smoke and reverse sear this past Monday.

20210201_142644.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.