Yoder versus Rec tec vs Traeger vs Webber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gatorengineer

Original poster
Jul 11, 2021
Long time lurker I guess first time poster, I thought I had an old account here, but never mind.

Looking swapping my smoking it and a knock off egg for a Pellet grill. Like many things today, I don't see anything in the middle between ReqTeq and Yoder. I have looked at Louisana, Grilla, GMG, Campchef, etc. The Yoder is just about twice what the rec tec is not counting shipping. Is it worth it? Am I missing anything else. Comfortably would go $1200 +/- for a 24" grill but Yoder is just more than I want to spend at $1778.

I looked at the Traegers at a costco road show, and I upset the sales guy saying they looked like expensive chines junk. Do I need to look past the thin metal, and not so great construction?

On the low end side any reason to consider the webers? Could buy 3 of those for one Yoder (might need to as well).

Maybe I am missing the pellet grill of my dreams but.... looking for advice.

Never owned nor looked at a Rec-Tec. They do come highly recommend though.
I do own GMG Daniel Boone and 5 years ago bought the Yoder YS-640.
The Yoder has some pluses, adjustable baffle to control heat in the pit. The pellets drop into the fire box, not force fed by auger. The fire box is at the far left side of the cooker. This eliminates the hot spot in the middle. The Yoder also has the ability to direct cook over fire. Nice feature. The Yoder also will settle in and cook like a pit on longer smokes because of the 1/8” steel construction.

Are these things worth the extra? That’s totally up to you. I really don’t think so given the current prices. I wouldn’t by a Yoder today.

Knowing what I know today, I would buy one of the gravity fed charcoal units available. There is something to chew on.

Im opposite SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . I have a rec tec and not a yoder. I bought my RT700 almost 3 years ago after an exhaustive search and evaluation. I have no regrets at all! The rec tec has been a workhorse without any issues. I did need to contact them for some help and they have the best customer service EVER. explained everything I needed to understand - i emailed them and they called like an hour later.

I made a list of options, dimensions, weights, materials, etc. and choose what is important to you.

Im opposite SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . I have a rec tec and not a yoder. I bought my RT700 almost 3 years ago after an exhaustive search and evaluation. I have no regrets at all! The rec tec has been a workhorse without any issues. I did need to contact them for some help and they have the best customer service EVER. explained everything I needed to understand - i emailed them and they called like an hour later.

I made a list of options, dimensions, weights, materials, etc. and choose what is important to you.
I have heard nothing but good about Re-Teq.

I have had my YS640 for 3 years and still love it. No problems with it at all. The new ones have the WiFi with Fireboard controller witch would be an improvement. I got tired of buying cheap and having grills fall apart and rust out on me years ago.
Buy once, cry once and enjoy for a life time. My kids are lining up for who will inherit my cookers because they will still be in good shape. IMHO!

Well, I found a grill that made we want to spend the extra money for all the features that I wanted.... A Cookshack Fast Eddie - Sear, Stainless, smoke, and bake........

Now anyone know a good divorce attorney to recommend? cause this will likely cause one.

A Cookshack Fast Eddie - Sear, Stainless, smoke, and bake........

Now anyone know a good divorce attorney to recommend? cause this will likely cause one.
that would be the end here for sure! those are nice, and nice and spendy. Enjoy!

Well, I found a grill that made we want to spend the extra money for all the features that I wanted.... A Cookshack Fast Eddie - Sear, Stainless, smoke, and bake........

Just make sure you get the Cookshack at the end of the settlement or it'll all be for naught. :emoji_laughing:

Long time lurker I guess first time poster, I thought I had an old account here, but never mind.

Looking swapping my smoking it and a knock off egg for a Pellet grill. Like many things today, I don't see anything in the middle between ReqTeq and Yoder. I have looked at Louisana, Grilla, GMG, Campchef, etc. The Yoder is just about twice what the rec tec is not counting shipping. Is it worth it? Am I missing anything else. Comfortably would go $1200 +/- for a 24" grill but Yoder is just more than I want to spend at $1778.

I looked at the Traegers at a costco road show, and I upset the sales guy saying they looked like expensive chines junk. Do I need to look past the thin metal, and not so great construction?

On the low end side any reason to consider the webers? Could buy 3 of those for one Yoder (might need to as well).

Maybe I am missing the pellet grill of my dreams but.... looking for advice.
Well its still bouncing around on a truck, supposed to be here by Wednesday......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky