Yes, another Thanksgiving sourdough...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I know there was another sourdough post today but I just had to post mine as well. My first try at sourdough bread.
I had a couple batches of starter going for around 10 days and it was time.
starters.jpg
Jake's a couple of days older than Elmo and seemed frisky so he got the call.
The usual first mix, autolyse, folding, etc. and into the fridge overnight. I didn't think it "rose" enough after 12 hours but at this point I was going to bake, one way or another.
1rst mix.jpg bowls.jpg proofing.jpg
Next day, time to bake!
Sorry no pics of the dutch oven process but here's the end result.
done bread.jpg sliced bread.jpg
Came out a little denser than I wanted but still soft and tasty.
Couple of takes:
My oven cooks a little high and I forgot about that. The crust was just a little harder than I like but the Mrs. was fine with it.
Next time I'll set it at 265 instead of 275.
I'll let it rise an hour or so at room temp before refrigerating for the night.
The instructions for the recipe I used said it was done at 208 IT. I think that's high and the thump test worked better
(Thump it and if it sounds like a ripe watermelon it's good).
All in all, I'm happy with how it came out, not perfect but not an outright fail.
We've already gone through almost one loaf and I'm looking forward to the next ones.
Maybe next week. Elmo is residing in the fridge at this time just waiting his chance,
Definitely a learning experience but some good fun!
Thanks for looking, folks, and keep trying new things!
Dan

Attachments

• done bread.jpg
    done bread.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 9
For your first time you did great! One thing about sourdough that got me was it does not rise like normal bread. It does what is called oven spring. I pour boiling water on a preheated baking sheet to help this.

For your first time you did great! One thing about sourdough that got me was it does not rise like normal bread. It does what is called oven spring. I pour boiling water on a preheated baking sheet to help this.
Thanks!
I’m not understanding the baking sheet....

Thanks!
I’m not understanding the baking sheet....
If you baking inside a dutch oven with a cover it is not needed. I do loaf pans. I preheat a baking sheet on rack below bread and pour boiling water into sheet pan just before adding bread. You have to watch don't get burned from the steam. I got this from this recipe which is the one I use most of the time. It really helps with the oven spring.

If you baking inside a dutch oven with a cover it is not needed. I do loaf pans. I preheat a baking sheet on rack below bread and pour boiling water into sheet pan just before adding bread. You have to watch don't get burned from the steam. I got this from this recipe which is the one I use most of the time. It really helps with the oven spring.

Thanks for the link!
Getting ready to "re-start" a starter and I will think about this.
The recipe I used makes two loaves so may be I can do both ways.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky