Yeast Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know, I know. Bread makers are for sissy's. But it is soooo easy.
P3250731.JPG

Simple white bread recipe. Love fresh bread. Hey BandCollector BandCollector if you need a bit of Active dry yeast. Shoot my your address. I'll send you out some.

Reactions: Will Squared
I don't know if it related, but 2019 wheat harvest was very poor quality. A lot ended up going as feed wheat instead of milling quality.
Check out Hagberg falling number (FN) test.
Not at all out here, it's all because of panic buying....there is no wheat or grain shortage.

Reactions: Will Squared
The bag I had expired over a year ago. I tossed it a couple months ago.
Steve I did the same thing threw a box out that was caking up.But I was at BJs the day after and bought a big bag,just found 2 of the 3 envelopes of yeast in one store & that store didn't have any yesterday when I was their.
Richie

Reactions: Steve H
I scored a 3-pack of yeast, 18 eggs, fresh veggies, and 12 rolls of TP yesterday! Looks like things might be coming around to semi-normal. Steve H Steve H , I'd imagine a bread machine would still give the house that fresh baked scent, we were basking in the glory yesterday afternoon. RAY
DSCN1659.JPG

Bread makers are for sissy's.
Nope .

, I'd imagine a bread machine would still give the house that fresh baked scent
Yup .
Early '90's I'm working on a remodel in a large Department store . Right about lunch time smell of bread takes over the whole floor . We dropped our tools and went on the hunt . Over in house wares , gal had a Black and Decker bread machine , baking one loaf , slicing up another .
Came back with the wife that night and bought one . Still have it .

Reactions: Steve H
John I was able to find 2 packs of 3 today PM me your address if you need it I will send it.
Richie

Thanks Richie,

Very generous of you but 6 packs won't be around very long. I can wait out this shortage/hording for a few more days. My pizza is great, but well worth waiting for!

Thanks again for the offer, , ,You are the greatest,

John

Thanks Richie,

Very generous of you but 6 packs won't be around very long. I can wait out this shortage/hording for a few more days. My pizza is great, but well worth waiting for!

Thanks again for the offer, , ,You are the greatest,

John
I have 2 pounds. And would be happy to donate some to you.

I guess you didn't see my post. I have 2 pounds. And would be happy to donate some to you.

WOW Steve H Steve H !

THIS is why I love this Forum. Because of the unselfish, caring, helpful, and generous members such as yourself.

I have been following your posts and really don't want to deprive you of all the fun you are having with your smokes and baking. This too (shortage/hording) will pass and I should be able to find yeast soon.

Thanks again my friend,

John

WOW Steve H Steve H !

THIS is why I love this Forum. Because of the unselfish, caring, helpful, and generous members such as yourself.

I have been following your posts and really don't want to deprive you of all the fun you are having with your smokes and baking. This too (shortage/hording) will pass and I should be able to find yeast soon.

Thanks again my friend,

John

Ok, If you change your mind. Let me know.

Reactions: BandCollector
Nope .

Yup .
Early '90's I'm working on a remodel in a large Department store . Right about lunch time smell of bread takes over the whole floor . We dropped our tools and went on the hunt . Over in house wares , gal had a Black and Decker bread machine , baking one loaf , slicing up another .
Came back with the wife that night and bought one . Still have it .

Lol, you should hear how some others feel about them. Not that I really care! The house does smell good. Got another loaf almost done. And I'm working on a olive bread. This is being done without the machine.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm a noob to baking but long time homebrewer. In homebrewing it is typical to do a starter/grow up yeast for certain beers. It does so remarkably easy and well. I imagine the same would apply to bread yeast but don't find much info about that. I would imagine something like 1C sugar dissolved in 2QT water and then adding a packet of yeast would make a LOT.

BandCollector BandCollector If you have self rising flower and a 12 oz can of beer here is a recipe for "Beer Bread" that we just did and it tastes fantastic. And is so easy as you do not need anything other than a mixing bowl and loaf pan and it gets done in your oven as the yeast in the beer does the work.

3 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12 oz beer

Stir all ingredients in bowl until tacky mixture
Bake in greased loaf pan @ 350 for 1 hour then put butter on top for last 10 minutes of bake time.

That's it....easy peasy. :emoji_astonished:

tx smoker tx smoker give this a try.

IMG_20200326_153906822.jpg

Last edited:
BandCollector BandCollector If you have self rising flower and a 12 oz can of beer here is a recipe for "Beer Bread" that we just did and it tastes fantastic. And is so easy as you do not need anything other than a mixing bowl and loaf pan and it gets done in your oven as the yeast in the beer does the work.

3 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12 oz beer

Stir all ingredients in bowl until tacky mixture
Bake in greased loaf pan @ 350 for 1 hour then put butter on top for last 10 minutes of bake time.

That's it....easy peasy. :emoji_astonished:

tx smoker tx smoker give this a try.

View attachment 437447
I found that recipe the other day,for AP Flour add 3 T baking Powder
I am going to try that like a no need bread recipe in my D.O.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky