YARDISTRY 12X16 CEDAR GAZEBO FROM COSTCO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's one serious gazebo you're building. Really gonna be nice. But in that one pic, it sure doesn't look like everybody is enjoying being a carpenter. 🥴
It doesn't look like it's going to move much, so you're probably pretty safe not anchoring it ASAP.
About 10 years ago, we put up a steel framed fabric gazebo, and didn't anchor it. After a real windy night, I found what was left of it wrapped around every tree it could find. The only things I could salvage were 2 fancy scroll side panels. :emoji_tired_face:
Gary

Well honestly Gary if you saw this thing you would think it would take a nuke, IF we ever get it up! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

Well honestly Gary if you saw this thing you would think it would take a nuke, IF we ever get it up! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al
I loved how the first or second step required wood from each of the 3 boxes (which weigh between 280-320 lbs). Really not well thought in that respect, I did not have the garage room that you have to spread it out nicely.

I loved how the first or second step required wood from each of the 3 boxes (which weigh between 280-320 lbs). Really not well thought in that respect, I did not have the garage room that you have to spread it out nicely.
I totally agree, why the hell couldn’t they put the first boards in box #1. I don’t have that much room either. When we put the metal on the roof, I’m not sure where we will store it until we get the other 3 done. Quite an adventure!
Al

I would just add to remember the classic "tools"...levers, wedges, pulleys, guy wires. And remember to view/measure everything in the 3 orthogonal planes...and keep things square and level.

I totally agree, why the hell couldn’t they put the first boards in box #1. I don’t have that much room either. When we put the metal on the roof, I’m not sure where we will store it until we get the other 3 done. Quite an adventure!
Al
yeah that step has me worried, I hear the plastic is a PIA to remove from the metal especially when it is colder. My issue is when the I put the metal on the roof it will become a big sail when the wind blows.

yeah that step has me worried, I hear the plastic is a PIA to remove from the metal especially when it is colder. My issue is when the I put the metal on the roof it will become a big sail when the wind blows.

I agree it’s been real windy here for the last couple of days, but that has made it nice & cool to work in. We should be ready to put the roof on by this weekend, and the forecast is for calm winds. So I hope I can get enough people to get it done!
Al

That's gonna be nice Al . I'm sure it's pretty rigid like Cliff said , but you could take a diagonal measurement at the top to see how close it is . Is it a hip roof ?

I measured it diagonally both ways & it was dead on. So we anchored it down. Yes it’s a hip roof. This a bit more of a job than I was ready for, but we will get ‘er done!
Al

Reactions: schlotz and chopsaw
That's great , and I figured as much . You got this . Gonna be a great space when you guys get finished .

We are progressing slowly but surely. Here is where we are today. Small side roof done, both sides.
DCC6D004-C59A-4CE4-AF35-39D55B4B3B2C.jpeg

4D549621-87CE-4050-B834-A6DB0B361C0D.jpeg

76F89394-39C4-44CA-92FF-7CFC61F51C49.jpeg

24387D01-99D7-4071-AB6E-9F6ADE98C952.jpeg

OK if you are building one of these then, be aware that the film on the metal is a PIA to get off. We found that if you heat it with a blow dryer it pulls off pretty easily. The only other thing I can think of is you need a lot of space to construct the roof panels. And you need at least 5 or 6 people to get them up. We needed 6 of us to just get the columns & beams up. Of course we are talking senior citizens here! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

Reactions: clifish and gmc2003
Coming along Al. Good job. You'll be lazin' in the shade before ya know it.
In all the pics through the years I've never noticed your gator/water snake pond!

We are progressing slowly but surely. Here is where we are today. Small side roof done, both sides.
View attachment 631709
View attachment 631710
View attachment 631711
View attachment 631712

OK if you are building one of these then, be aware that the film on the metal is a PIA to get off. We found that if you heat it with a blow dryer it pulls off pretty easily. The only other thing I can think of is you need a lot of space to construct the roof panels. And you need at least 5 or 6 people to get them up. We needed 6 of us to just get the columns & beams up. Of course we are talking senior citizens here! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al
I might start tackling the roof panels today. Have 2 - 6'6" friends coming over Sunday to construct. I just borrowed another 6' and a 10' foot ladder as well. Some how my 5'1" wife and myself some how got the legs and cross members up. It was recommended to have a 10' a-frame ladder for the middle when assembling the roof pieces.

I might start tackling the roof panels today. Have 2 - 6'6" friends coming over Sunday to construct. I just borrowed another 6' and a 10' foot ladder as well. Some how my 5'1" wife and myself some how got the legs and cross members up. It was recommended to have a 10' a-frame ladder for the middle when assembling the roof pieces.
Do you know what the bottom of the center beam to the ground measurement is? I want to build a beam that is exactly that hight, so the guy in the center can relax and rest the beam on the 2x4.

More power to you guys. Al that looks great so far. Cliff I'm sure yours does as well. Question: Are either of you planning on wiring in a ceiling fan? My daughter has one on her back porch in Georgia and it actually helps keep it cool in the hotter months.

Cliff, if you have two buddies that are 6'6" then you should only need a step ladder to reach. At least that's what my dad used to tell me when I helped him putter around the house in my youth.

Keep on truck'in fellas.

More power to you guys. Al that looks great so far. Cliff I'm sure yours does as well. Question: Are either of you planning on wiring in a ceiling fan? My daughter has one on her back porch in Georgia and it actually helps keep it cool in the hotter months.

Cliff, if you have two buddies that are 6'6" then you should only need a step ladder to reach. At least that's what my dad used to tell me when I helped him putter around the house in my youth.

Keep on truck'in fellas.
No the higher ladder is for the person in the center to hold the middle of the roof panel up. If I trench electric I will put a fan in as well as some cool lighting. Have to match lighting in the pool and hot tub.
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG

you inspired me Al, I am setting up the roof panels now. This is where I had to start working under the Corvette
IMG_3871.jpg

Borrowed your idea of using the hot tub to remove the plastic.
IMG_3872.jpg

Of course I did not heed the advice to watch for sharp edges
IMG_3873.jpg

1 side down, 3 to go.
IMG_3874.jpg

Do you know what the bottom of the center beam to the ground measurement is? I want to build a beam that is exactly that hight, so the guy in the center can relax and rest the beam on the 2x4.
not off hand, I would have to measure after I started putting up the roof panels.

WOW Cliff, so far I haven’t cut myself yet. I can’t do that kind of work with gloves on. And my Son is going to visit us in a couple of weeks & he is a contractor, so he can put the electric, fan & lights up, while I watch & drink a beer! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky