YARDISTRY 12X16 CEDAR GAZEBO FROM COSTCO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Have any of you put together one of these? We bought one & I’ve never seen so many parts. We have been working on it for a few days & today is the day that we put the frame up. Then we start building the roof panels. If anybody has any helpful hints or things I should not do, please let me know. I bet this takes a couple of weeks to get built. But then we are old & slow. I have 4 guys coming over today to help with the heavy lifting.
Al

Al , that's not entry level by any means . I just went and looked at the 12 x 16 with a hip roof .
How far along are you ?
Depending on that , I would build the 2 long sides flat on the ground ( assuming you have a flat surface ) then tip those sections up and install the short side top plates and gussets . That will give you the standing profile .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Al , that's not entry level by any means . I just went and looked at the 12 x 16 with a hip roof .
How far along are you ?
Depending on that , I would build the 2 long sides flat on the ground ( assuming you have a flat surface ) then tip those sections up and install the short side top plates and gussets . That will give you the standing profile .

We have the short sides built on the ground & are waiting for a few friends to stop by to stand them up & help put the long beams on, then the gussets on the long side & it will be steady & square. I’m sure it will take some time to do, since we only work on it for a few hours at a time. Thanks for the advice! Actually I like your idea of building the long sides first, but the instructions say to build the short sides on the ground, so that’s what we did! Gonna take a few photo’s of our progress!
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
Al,

I bought the same one a month ago (of course 2 weeks later there was a $200 rebate) The wife and put together the frame and roof framing and there it has sat. I don't want to assemble the roof panels yet as it has been really windy and rainy the last few weekends.

I had to sink 2 - 16" x 24" footings for one side to secure the base. Typical Chinese construction, some of the wood was a little warped, directions are not that clear.

I just need a clear day when frinds can come over to finish.

Here’s what we started with.
3DE51439-88FB-44A5-8ECB-C9A7B11BAF5E.jpeg

BAF10BEA-C259-4732-BFB1-6AC50E98DDED.jpeg

And this is where we are at after 4 days.

3C1B4947-5A56-4286-8B87-40DF8A8A7746.jpeg

This is Judy’s Mother’s Day gift, hopefully it will get to stand up today!
Al

It was hard to put up the cross members on top with just my 5'1" wife and myself. All we are left with is the box of roof panels and the metal in your first pic. I am hearing that the plastic protection on the roof panes are a PIA to remove, especially if it is cold out.

An impact wrench certainly helped driving in the bigger screws. The cordless drill will be set at the lowest torque for the roof panels. Over tightening will distort the panel and strip the cheap screws.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Same idea Al . They probably start with the short side because of the weight . That's a nice looking structure .

OK day 5 is over & the frame is up. This is where they say to anchor it. But I’m wondering if I anchor it & the roof doesn’t fit right & I need to move a leg, then what? But I’m also thinking that the whole structure may move when putting the roof panels on if not anchored down. More studying!
Here it is after today.
744762F3-29A1-41F2-8424-EE4271D1253C.jpeg
80B3BC5C-A619-44BC-8820-074DEB3D61FA.jpeg

Boy howdy Al, that's one formidable looking project with some time on a ladder to come. Slow and steady wins the race, be careful! RAY

Reactions: Retired Spook
That is about where mine is at except I constructed the wood portion of the roof. I would not anchor until it is done, there is no way it is moving once you tighten all the bolts up top. I ended up having to loosen all the bolts as I was squaring the 4 poles, I hope to not have to screw with it when we do the roofing.

What are you anchoring it with? I am using the blue tapcon screws. Not sure if that is size ones I bought, would have to check

"/N-5yc1vZ2fkp96cZ1z1aytx/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-tapcon?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5&visNavSearch=tapcon

That is about where mine is at except I constructed the wood portion of the roof. I would not anchor until it is done, there is no way it is moving once you tighten all the bolts up top. I ended up having to loosen all the bolts as I was squaring the 4 poles, I hope to not have to screw with it when we do the roofing.

What are you anchoring it with? I am using the blue tapcon screws. Not sure if that is size ones I bought, would have to check

"/N-5yc1vZ2fkp96cZ1z1aytx/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-tapcon?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5&visNavSearch=tapcon

We were thinking that if it was all squared up & anchored, that the roof would fit easily & we wouldn’t have to worry about moving one of the legs, when putting the roof on. Also the directions say to anchor it at this point. I bought 3/8 x 3 tapcons & only am going to use 2 per post.
Al

We were thinking that if it was all squared up & anchored, that the roof would fit easily & we wouldn’t have to worry about moving one of the legs, when putting the roof on. Also the directions say to anchor it at this point. I bought 3/8 x 3 tapcons & only am going to use 2 per post.
Al
I don't think that thing could move unless you really wanted too. When are you planning on doing the roof? We were hoping to do it Sunday but now my wife has to book a last minute trip to FL. Her father was getting an angio gram this am and they went in and right back out. Turns out he is 90% blocked in one artery and 95% in another (blockage is right next to the valve). I am sure the next step is a double bypass.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Not sure when we will get the roof on. Hoping to get it on this weekend, but since we are only working on it a couple of hours a day we might not be ready by Sat. Here is where we are now.
8344775A-0861-4A65-8496-AAF3905A2DC6.jpeg

3E04C030-45BF-4392-8DAD-63C0C0717157.jpeg

Gonna do the long roof frame today. Then hopefully the metal tomorrow.
Al

That's gonna be nice Al . I'm sure it's pretty rigid like Cliff said , but you could take a diagonal measurement at the top to see how close it is . Is it a hip roof ?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That's gonna be nice Al . I'm sure it's pretty rigid like Cliff said , but you could take a diagonal measurement at the top to see how close it is . Is it a hip roof ?
I afraid I measured from the bottom, I hope it is not going to be an issue? I would hate to have to loosen all the bolts up again. I also don't want to put the metal sheets on until I am ready to get the roof up. We get too much wind and I am afraid the roof panels would get knocked over and damaged.

Cliff , you should take the numbers both high and low . I'm sure it's close enough how ever you guys do it . The number up high is the set measurement because it fastened . If both measurements up are the same , that means the top is square . Transfer those numbers to the bottom , and you should be plumb and square . I'm betting that the way it goes together at the top , everything is set close enough .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Cliff , you should take the numbers both high and low . I'm sure it's close enough how ever you guys do it . The number up high is the set measurement because it fastened . If both measurements up are the same , that means the top is square . Transfer those numbers to the bottom , and you should be plumb and square . I'm betting that the way it goes together at the top , everything is set close enough .
I would think there is a fair amount of "fudge" factor or you would not see thousands of good reviews. it measured square a foot off the ground, I also made sure all legs were plumb up and down on all sides.

Not sure when we will get the roof on. Hoping to get it on this weekend, but since we are only working on it a couple of hours a day we might not be ready by Sat. Here is where we are now.
View attachment 631649
View attachment 631650

Gonna do the long roof frame today. Then hopefully the metal tomorrow.
Al
That's one serious gazebo you're building. Really gonna be nice. But in that one pic, it sure doesn't look like everybody is enjoying being a carpenter. 🥴
It doesn't look like it's going to move much, so you're probably pretty safe not anchoring it ASAP.
About 10 years ago, we put up a steel framed fabric gazebo, and didn't anchor it. After a real windy night, I found what was left of it wrapped around every tree it could find. The only things I could salvage were 2 fancy scroll side panels. :emoji_tired_face:
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky