WSM vent hole cover options for bbq guru?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
I’m just curious if anyone has better solutions for covering the vent holes when using a bbq guru besides tape. I ordered a party q but I’m not a fan of using aluminum tape.

for background if it matters I have no issue doing the process manually except my SO likes to want to go shopping at about hour 4 of a 6 hour cook lol so my hope with the party q is just something I can setup while we jet off for an hour or so

I think Amazon has heat resistant rubber grommets made specifically for this purpose. It requires drilling a hole in smoker. I was thinking withstand temps up to 500 degrees but don't quote me on that. Was looking for something for my mes 30.

Ryan

3/4" metal hole plugs should work. You can find them in Home Depot or Lowes I believe. Do not get 3/4 conduit plugs they'll be to big.

Chris

Reactions: hawtsauc3
Interesting!
I have had the metal tape on my WSM for almost 10 years and it still looks fine. No leaks or peeling off tape.
Al
I mean i know it works i just think it looks hideous. Also if the party Q ends up being something I don't want i just want a way to reverse the setup easier.

3/4" metal hole plugs should work. You can find them in Home Depot or Lowes I believe. Do not get 3/4 conduit plugs they'll be to big.

Chris

Do you think those could also work? I'm just thinking they're stainless vs nickel.

Those may work, but I was talking more something like this. I don't think you'll have to worry about it getting hot enough to expel any dangerous gases.

1582645081438.png

Attachments

• 1582645078536.png
    1582645078536.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
I really don't even see the two pieces of tape. Nuts sticking out would be more of a visually distracting in my opinion. The other thing I don't like about using the threaded option is there is a possibility of damaging the porcelain you'll be screwing them into. If I was going to go the bolt route I'd use a washer inside and out and a nut and bolt.

49012924062_f1086dbf51_c.jpg

From afar you can't really see the tape. have to get right down in there to see it.

48988734507_51800d5433_c.jpg

I don't have a turbo charger on my WSM. It's naturally aspirated. So I've never personally tried them, but I would think they'd seal up after a few smokes.

Chris

I don't have a turbo charger on my WSM. It's naturally aspirated. So I've never personally tried them, but I would think they'd seal up after a few smokes.

Chris

They fit to loosely and expand when the get hot. I tried bending the tabs over on the inside but they still didn't seal. Tried them on my Minitisserie smoker, never could get they to seal, so taped over
them.

They fit to loosely and expand when the get hot. I tried bending the tabs over on the inside but they still didn't seal. Tried them on my Minitisserie smoker, never could get they to seal, so taped over
them.
This is good to know. I mean i might just get stuck using the foil, was just hoping there'd be a good reversible option. I do enjoy the WSM as naturally aspirated for the most part, this really is just my solution for dipping out for 2 hours if needed. If we can run off to target to keep my SO happy then that means i get to make BBQ more often lol

This is good to know. I mean i might just get stuck using the foil, was just hoping there'd be a good reversible option. I do enjoy the WSM as naturally aspirated for the most part, this really is just my solution for dipping out for 2 hours if needed. If we can run off to target to keep my SO happy then that means i get to make BBQ more often lol

For that I'd just use the tape. Comes off easily you can get it easily at ACE Hardware. The roll I bought is probably enough to last a lifetime.

I have run my 14.5 WSM without the PQ but leave that one vent set up for it. Even on high temp cooks it hasn't effected performance.

The
them.
They don't need to seal, what little air leaks by them is a nonissue.
They make the in Stainless as well, or you can go to a plumbing wholesale house and ask for S.S. "cock hole covers" not joking.

Reactions: Chief 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky