Wrinkled Casings/Darker Color

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmix

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Independence, LA
Greetings for SE Louisiana.  

So after reading these forums, especially the smoker build forum, I couldnt stand it and had to build me one.  I have had a Bradly for years and loved it, however, it is quite small and those little biscuits are too expensive...

I used TennSmokers drawings, Pops' burner recommendation and it came out great.  Burned it in for 4 hours at 225f Saturday.

I found that if I lit the center burner and left burner the temp held at 225f with minimal adjustment.  With just the center burner lit and the door cracked a little it held at 130-135f.  All temps taken at the rack using two thermometers to compare, not from the door thermometer.

The smokehouse will stay under cover but I am having a friend sew me a form fitting outdoor cover for it.  Gonna have a zipper or velcro on the front corners, top to bottom for easy removal.  Also placed it on some castors so I can roll it around.

I made my first attempt at standard Cajun Smoked Sausage beginning on Saturday.  I cut up 2 pork butts and wound up with just under 10lbs of meat.  I added about 1.5lbs of pork fat to that.

I seasoned with my wifes family recipe blend and ground the meat using a LEM #12 with 3/16 grinding plate.  I sampled the meat and adjusted my seasonings adding a red pepper flakes, red pepper, white pepper and paprika.  Once the taste was good I added two level teaspoons of InstaCure #1 and placed in covered container in fridge over night.

Yesterday my Bro-in-law and I stuffed the sausage into natural hog casings.  I had limited experience doing this but it went fine.  All casings were thoroughly washed prior to stuffing.  Any air bubbles I noticed were pierced.

I had the smoker holding at 130 while stuffing.  And in it went.  I had just the center burner on high.  I cracked the top and bottom door about a quarter inch and opened both top vents and bottom vents.  BTW, it was about 60 degrees here yesterday.  Temp was perfect 130f in smoker.  Sausage dried for 1 hr 45 minutes.  No condensation at all on casings.

I added soaked hickory chunks and the smoking began.  I raised the temp to apprx 160-170 again using two thermometers at rack level.

After two hours I inserted a meat thermometer to check internal temp.  140f.  Color was looking good and casings were firming up nice.

An hour and a half later I checked the internal temp at multiple locations and it was 155f to 160f.  I removed the sausage and gave it a water bath using my water hose until the temp reached 120f.  

Took it inside and let it rest for one hour.

Final product.

The sausage tasted fantastic.  Casings were firm and crisp.  It was leaner than any store bought sausage but not too lean.

But, I have some questions:

1.  My family prefers the casings to be wrinkled and the sausage more of a darker color like the image below.

How can I achieve this?  Is my meat/fat mixture too lean?  Should I have cranked up the heat?  Should I have use synthetic casings rather than natural to achieve the above?  Cooked it longer?

2.  The sausage is quite dense, meaning it is tightly packed in the casings.  I would like it to be a little more losely packed.

Should I have used a 3/8 plate rather than a 3/16?  Should I not stuff the casings to maximum diameter?

This posts on this site have been so helpful.  I have learned a ton from this site and this book.  Thanks for the help!

Clay

Hi Cmix,

Firstly, nice job !

To your questions;

A good sausage is minimum 20%, but ideally 30% fat.

After stuffing, place sausages in fridge - uncovered for up to three days. This allows the flavours to develop, the cure to do its magic and the skins to dry out a bit ( I know this wasn't a question )

Crinkled casings such as the photo are usually the result of cold smoking, and drying. Hot smoking can render some fat from the sausage, resulting in mass loss, whilst the casing does not shrink.

3/8 plate is fine for most sausage

Too tight stuffing can result in burst sausage on cooking, so less than yours would be better

Longer smoking will give a darker colour - be careful not to oversmoke them, this will result in a bitter flavour

I am curious, why does your family like wrinkled sausage ?

Lastly, did they taste good ?

Regards, Gus

Your Sausage is Beautiful...I don't understand the wrinkle thing either. But if that is your goal, longer or double smoking will slightly dehydrate the sausage and give a darker color...JJ

Nice smoker and very nice sausage!
Next time raise your smoker temps a little at a time, like 10 degrees per hour. The longer time in the smoke will get you the darker color you're looking for.
The casings not wrinkling like you want could be the short smoke time or possibly your recipe. How much water did you add, and did you add any fillers?

Thanks for the replies and compliments fellas.  I was very surprised at how good my first attempt at making smoked sausage came out.

My wife is from LaPlace, LA  home of fantastic andouille and sausage.  We live just north of Laplace in Hammond.  Most of the smoked sausage from LaPlace, Reserve area has a 'wrinkled' look to the casings and a dark color.  Here is a pic of Jacob's smoked sausage.

As far as taste, the sausage I made tasted great!  Visually it looks like store bought smoked sausage of which my wife avoids like the plague. She loved the taste though.

I did not add any water to the meat mixture.  How much should I add per pound?

As far as fillers, I started with about 10lbs of pork butt and added about 1.5lbs of cubed straight pork fat (all white fat, no meat attached.)  I think I will add more next time as advised.  I will also slowly raise temperature rather than shoot it up quick from 130.

Also, I used a 3/16" plate to grind and will use a 3/8" plate next time.

I'm sure some folks are saying, just go to Jacob's and get the meat...  I find this to be fun and entertaining.  Not trying to duplicate Jacob's either.  

BTW, Jacob's will sell you their andouille seasoning blend and casings at the store.  For those folks wanting to make their own and do not live around here contact them and they may ship it to you.  They use only pecan and smoke it heavy.

Thanks again.  Will update after my next attempt.

Skip the water bath if you want them wrinkled. The quick cooling keeps them plump. Blooming longer makes the color darker as well. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky