Wrapped my ribs in foil before smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KelseyG

Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
So of course the first time i attempt the 2 1 1 method of smoking ribs without recipe reference, I goofed and instead if letting them sit bare on the wrack for the first 2 hours I wrapped them tight in foil and put them in, not realizing my mistake until the 2 hour alarm went off. I'm positive my ribs are going to be missing that lovely smokey flavor that smoking gives due to them being wrapped up for a majority of the time, but id like to know what else might go wrong and if possible, any fixes. Any suggestions and information would be much appreciated!

They should still take on some smoke after 2 hours. Are they baby backs? It should be 2-2-1 for those not sure if 2-1-1 would finish them. Keep us updated
Thank you for the advice! They were baby backs and most certainly needed that extra hour. 2-1-1 turned into 2-1-2 (2 hours in foil meat up, 1 hour meat down, 2 uncovered meat up) and though not exactly as fall apart as i'd like, they were cooked through and tender, leaving a clean bone when the meats taken off. Got that smokey flavor as well due to that time uncovered.

I would also go by Internal temp if they are meaty enough. Different thicknesses and cuts of ribs will cook different. I' am good with the first two of that way of cooking ribs. However that last hour I always go by IT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky