Would this weber kettle mod be possible?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbiesmoker1

Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
I own a Weber Kettle 22.5" grill that is used exclusively for smoking meats.

I was wandering if the following mod has ever been attempted.

Take a smaller grill, like the Weber Smokey Joe, and use it as a firebox for the 22.5" kettle.

Use aluminum venting to carry the heat and smoke from the grill used as firebox to the bottom of the Weber 22.5" kettle.

Would something like that work? Has any body tried it?

I don't know about the heat however I have seen similar arrangements used for cold smoking.

You're already smoking on the 22.5" so why would you want to do this mod? IMHO it does not make sense.
I did not include this in my original post. But the results, so far, have been hit or miss in the Weber 22.5" kettle. Mostly misses. The issue seems to be temperature control.

According to, Food Network's Alton Brown's video, kettle grills are not well suited for smoking. Here is the video

My personal experience verifies Brown's conclusions, however I am not prepared to buy that device featured in the video just yet.

That is why I am looking for alternatives.

Well, if I was going to buy a smokey joe, I'd go ahead and buy a tamale steamer and build me another Mini-WSM! Best darn little smoker around! Efficient, easy to control. Check out the Mini-WSM build forum.

+1 on what Case said. Save the kettle for grilling. OR---you could get one of the adapters to turn the kettle into a smoker. I think they're available still. Cajun bandit or something like that is the name of the company.

Last edited:

I did not include this in my original post. But the results, so far, have been hit or miss in the Weber 22.5" kettle. Mostly misses. The issue seems to be temperature control.

According to, Food Network's Alton Brown's video, kettle grills are not well suited for smoking. Here is the video

My personal experience verifies Brown's conclusions, however I am not prepared to buy that device featured in the video just yet.

Unfortunately for Young Mr. Brown's reputation he is dead wrong on this one. I and many others use our Weber kettles all the time without temp controllers and create succulent BBQ. I have cooked butts, shoulders, turkeys, ribs, chicken etc. on my kettle with great success. Forget the youtube commercials, search smoking on a Weber kettle on this site, you'll be better served.

yeahthat.gif

As much as I like Alton Brown, and he IS very entertaining, I have found many of his conclusions to be wrong. Especially when it comes to BBQ.

I have a 22.5 webber and love it. I picked a gadget called smokenator 1000. Its abent piece of stainless that has holes for airflow and center section for a water pan. Check it out on web. I bought mine. But after got it I thought, shoot I could have made this.i love it. Goes about 2 hours hands free. Then add more wood chunks or briquettes.

Since we've begun making suggestions, here's mine and you don't have to shell out $s(the foil pan set me back 50 cents)

You can see the wood buried in the charcoal ring, the fully lit coal gets added to one end, as shown in the second photo.

I have had this fuel set up last for 11 hours plus at 250° and 8 hours plus at 300°. I use about half a bag of Stubbs briquettes in the ring and always have unlit coals

left at the end of the cook. BTW since I took these I have begun using about 1/2 chimney of fully lit lump charcoal, it burns hotter and the ring of briquettes starts more quickly.

Here's what it looks like with a butt in place-

Reactions: dwsmith43

I have to disagree with Altons assessment of the kettle being no good for smoking.I smoke on my kettles all the time,they work so good that i have put off buying a dedicated smoker for some time now. the pitmaster Iq works great,either the 110 or the 120,makes life a lot easier

yeahthat.gif
 I have to agree with bigjay. I used to use my kettle a lot for smoking too and it was very successful. It is easier with the larger kettles though.

I smoked for many years on a kettle, turned out some darned good Q. Matter of fact I still like it better for cooking beer can chicken. The setup you describe would be awesome for smoking fish and cheeses though.

The only reason to do this is then

you would be able to cold smoke with the WSJ 'firebox' off to the side -

but I'm not sure the existing vents at the bottom of the kettle would allow enough

heat and or smoke inside.  I think you'd have to cut a 3" or 4" hole with no damper,

keep the 3 bottom dampers closed and the one at the top open.

Then regulate the heat with the dampers from the WSJ.

Now - how you gonna affix the 3" or 4" tube to the kettle?

And then how to close that hole when you merely want to grill?

Unfortunately for Young Mr. Brown's reputation he is dead wrong on this one. I and many others use our Weber kettles all the time without temp controllers and create succulent BBQ. I have cooked butts, shoulders, turkeys, ribs, chicken etc. on my kettle with great success. Forget the youtube commercials, search smoking on a Weber kettle on this site, you'll be better served.
Ok based on the encouragement here I will try again this Monday.

How often do you check the kettle to make sure the temps are around 225?

Do you ever base your meat with a mop?

I found that if the Weber kettles's lid is removed then temps spike up after the lid is placed back on the kettle.

Ok based on the encouragement here I will try again this Monday.

How often do you check the kettle to make sure the temps are around 225?

Do you ever base your meat with a mop?

I found that if the Weber kettles's lid is removed then temps spike up after the lid is placed back on the kettle.
treat yourself to a wireless thermometer so you can walk away from the kettle after you have set your vents and let it smoke,dont open the lid unless its to replenish the fire with wood chunks or briquettes.you can mop if you please and any smoker or grill will experience a spike when ever the lid is open,you cant lose with the kettle,its great and versitile,good luck and keep us all posted with your experiences smoking on the kettle

I'm going to echo everybody else.... Brown is wrong on this one... the kettle holds a rock solid temp... do the minion method like Cliff shows and you can't go wrong... yes temps will spike if you open the lid... so don't open it... as mentioned.. get the wireless temp probes and your all set....

Reactions: bigjay282

treat yourself to a wireless thermometer so you can walk away from the kettle after you have set your vents and let it smoke,dont open the lid unless its to replenish the fire with wood chunks or briquettes.you can mop if you please and any smoker or grill will experience a spike when ever the lid is open,you cant lose with the kettle,its great and versitile,good luck and keep us all posted with your experiences smoking on the kettle
Okay does brand of charcoal make a difference? I dont like using Royal Oak lump because the bits and pieces fall through the grate unless measures are taken to stop it. I normally use the Walmart brand briquettes because their cheaper than Kingsford.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky