working out the bugs Pit Boss 700FB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2009
Newalla,Oklahoma
smoked a brisket,country ribs and i rack of baby backs this weekend
brisket turned out good, smoked it for 12.5 hours, the country ribs were good smoked for 4.5 hours and the baby backs were good also smoked for 4.5 hours.

think the county ribs, I should of pulled at 4 or maybe even 3.5 hours the baby backs were on point.

to me all was good but i still want it to be better. My friends all thought it was great and taste great but i think i can do better.

smoked all the meat at 220-240 degrees still have a temp swing. And i have put in three fire bricks, maybe not enough bricks. but i am starting to like this pellet smoker
upload_2018-9-4_10-6-3.jpeg

Good looking pan of meat. We always think we can do better but, unless you distrust the sincerety of your friends, they are a pretty good gauge of your results. No harm perfecting though. Fun trying.

Reactions: jerseyd1
as a smoker i see more of, what i think i can do better or change to make it better. i know it tastes good but i also want that meat to be the best. and we all know.... we are our worst critic!

Looks like a fine foil of food to me. I'd be there for seconds.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: ravenclan
I did look at others with the probes and other features but i like the fact that this one has the deflector and the "juice" all runs out of the smoker and into a bucket, no more cleaning the bottom out from fat and al its takes is a shop vac to clean out the ash.

Can you post your method for your brisket?

I can never get a good one, mainly dry and not melt in your mouth like the pros make. I've tried injecting which helps, but still very disappointed after multiple attempts

I have installed a PID temp controller and while it minimizes fluctuations, I still can't turn out a good brisket.

Also, I'm getting black soot / gray pizzas and I'm thinking it's the PID controller when it shuts off the fan, the smoke lingers and the pellets are being burned clean.

Last edited:
Can you post your method for your brisket?

I can never get a good one, mainly dry and not melt in your mouth like the pros make. I've tried injecting which helps, but still very disappointed after multiple attempts.

Also, I'm getting black soot / gray pizzas and I'm thinking it's the PID controller when it shuts off the fan, the smoke lingers and the pellets are being burned clean.

ozsmoker,

i crosscut the fat cap thru to the meat but also trim some off so when it is done i don't have to trim and lose all the flavor.
i put my rub on my brisket then i use the cheap plastic wrap and wrap the brisket very tight and then in the fridge over night. All that rub turns into a paste and flavors the meat. one thing i use that i got off this website was celery salt on the meat first not a lot, then my rub, no extra salt in my rub. the salt "helps" the meat to "absorb" the rub. i like it to sit at least 12 hours, but i have let it go 24 hours and really no difference. I do not inject my briskets.

I set my PitBoss at 225 degrees once up to temp i put the brisket in but i put it to the far right side as close to the wall as possible with out touching, so smoke moves around the meat. The brisket's i smoke are not a whole brisket but cut for just the flat and "part of the tip".

I smoke for 10-15 hours depending on size and internal temp and the weather. Here in Oklahoma the wind is what i fight the most. I have added fire bricks in the bottom to help with the heat and that seems to work and since the 700FB series has a juice channel, no juice in the bottom, Makes for a real easy clean up .

it took me a couple of tries and failing to figure out the pellet smoker. it is a lot different then my other smokers but every smoker works/smokes different.

smoked a brisket,country ribs and i rack of baby backs this weekend
brisket turned out good, smoked it for 12.5 hours, the country ribs were good smoked for 4.5 hours and the baby backs were good also smoked for 4.5 hours.

think the county ribs, I should of pulled at 4 or maybe even 3.5 hours the baby backs were on point.

to me all was good but i still want it to be better. My friends all thought it was great and taste great but i think i can do better.

smoked all the meat at 220-240 degrees still have a temp swing. And i have put in three fire bricks, maybe not enough bricks. but i am starting to like this pellet smoker
View attachment 375433
Ravenclan, I have a new PB700 and learning to smoke. Thanks for posting your results!

I would like to understand the use of fire bricks in this type of smoker. What is this intended to do and how are they used? Thanks.

Ravenclan, I have a new PB700 and learning to smoke. Thanks for posting your results!

I would like to understand the use of fire bricks in this type of smoker. What is this intended to do and how are they used? Thanks.

JustRibbin,

The fire bricks in the bottom of the smoker help with heat retention. The bricks "soak" up the heat and helps keep the smoker up to temp. the wind here in Oklahoma never seems to stop and I smoke year around even during the winter months. There is also a Blanket to put over the smoker to help keep heat during cold weather but I am going to try first with out it before I buy one. Hopefully the bricks help with the heat during the cold weather. Also on the back of the smoker you will see a line of holes for the smoke I have blocked off two on each side, total of four, to keep the smoke in longer and to also keep heat. i still have four open in the center so the smoker can breath. this has done two things for me. the meat has more of that smokey flavor and the smoker only goes up and down in temp around 10-15 degrees.

This works for me but you will have to experiment with your smoker to fine tune it to what you want as far as blocking the holes but i would do the fire bricks too help keep the heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky