Work sharp knife sharpener

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
I have a work sharp knife sharpener. It’s not the Ken Onion edition. I use the sharpener per instructions. After sharpening my knives it seems the edge doesn’t last very long at all.
I can get a knife pretty sharp but after using it just a bit it seems dull.
Any ideas.
Thank,
Johnny Ray

Do you use a steele to keep the edge true? It will need a few swipes from time to time while working with them. Sharpening often is not the way to treat a knife, because it always removes metal and creates a new edge. A few swipes upon the steele would keep it straight / true, and last for a longer time. Maybe you are, and I just didn't understand your remarks. It is something you learn, and thru practice you just begin to know the feel of it all. Take care. r

I haven’t used a steel on them very much. I have honing belts (purple belts) for my work sharp. When I’m going to use a knife I run it across the belt 2 or 3 times.
I would like to have them professionally sharpened to get them back to where they need to be and then maintain them using a steel. But, I do not know of any knife sharpening services in my area.
Thanks for the tips,
Johnny Ray

What is the angle that your machine is set to. It should be 20 degrees.
And as said above a good steel really keeps them sharp. If you buy one get a ceramic one.
Al

What type of cutting bored do you use plastic or wood. some are harsher that others on the blade. wood or bamboo are the gentlest.

I use and really like my KO WorkSharp.

If you use most belt sander type sharpeners they put a Convex edge on the blade.
This means that you can not effectively use a Steel to touch up the edge.
But you can still use a Strop.

WorkSharp offers Very Fine grit belts and Strop belts that will very quickly straighten up and polish an edge.
If the edge isn't damaged, 3-5 quick passes per side and you're razor sharp again.

This also means you must reshape the edge in order to sharpen on most other sharpeners, Stones or Sticks.

What type of cutting bored do you use plastic or wood. some are harsher that others on the blade. wood or bamboo are the gentlest.
I mostly use the flexible plastic ones. I have a wooden one my daughter gave me but I don’t use it. It’s hanging on the wall in my cooking barn.

I use and really like my KO WorkSharp.

If you use most belt sander type sharpeners they put a Convex edge on the blade.
This means that you can not effectively use a Steel to touch up the edge.
But you can still use a Strop.

WorkSharp offers Very Fine grit belts and Strop belts that will very quickly straighten up and polish an edge.
If the edge isn't damaged, 3-5 quick passes per side and you're razor sharp again.

This also means you must reshape the edge in order to sharpen on most other sharpeners, Stones or Sticks.
You are correct Chile. The WS puts a convex edge on a knife. The guide in my unit is set to 20*
I use the the finest grit they have. The stropping belt. How often do you need to run your knives on the stropping belt?
Thanks,
Johnny

Johnny, I am wondering... what is your definition of "very long". A week, a month, longer?
It seems like to me if I sharpen one of my knives and use it to trim up a couple of butts and briskets the next time I want to use the knife it’s needs to be ran through the WS.
the knife seems dull like it won’t hardly cut open the cryovac packaging?
Maybe I expect too much??
Thanks,
Johnny

Depends on which knife and usage.

My hunting knives, if I'm butchering a deer carcass, then at least once, maybe twice.
Deboning and butchering leg quarters at least once per.
And once more to scary sharp for trimming silver skin.

Everyday use for a Chef's knife, maybe twice a month.
Everyday use of boning or cimeter knives, maybe every 3rd-5th use, especially if making lots of edge contact on cutting board.
A filet knife cleaning fish, every 3-4 fish.
My big, granton edged slicing knife,
at least a dozen uses and still razor sharp from the factory.

Last edited:
I went to the work sharp website today and watched videos again on the use and operation of their unit. I noticed they pulled the knife through the guide much, much slower than I have been.
I sharpened three of my knives today to as Chili said “scary” sharp. Sharper than I have ever been able to achieve.
I will monitor my usage of these and see how they hold up.
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Johnny Ray

Just my 2 cents...Watch a Pro Butcher cut meat. They are dressing a Boning Knife on their steel every 5-6 cuts. With a Chef's Knife, the more acidic or harg a veg, onions and carrots, the more frequently you go to the steel. The number of times a knife hits the board slicing, dicing and chopping, the more frequent the touch up. I make a couple passes through my Chef's Choice 130 at the start of every meal I am preparing...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
chef jimmyj, could you tell what kind of sharpening belt do you use for this? Fine grit? Extra fine grit? I am sharpening my knife only once a week. By end of each week all my knifes are still OK but definitely getting dull...
The Chef's Choice 130 doesn't use belts. It uses three types of discs.

3-Stages:
100% diamonds in Stage 1
Super-hardened sharpening steel in Stage 2
Flexible stropping disks in Stage 3

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky