Woods to use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thedisciple

Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
Chandler Texas
Is there anyone who can tell me if you can use sassafras wood I have read that you can bit not the bark has to be taken off please can someone answer this we have an abundance of it thanks so much and God bless you all

Here is a list of woods acceptable for smoking.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/woods-for-smoking.50439/

Toward the bottom of the list it says to avoid using sassafras. There's a reason though. It is either poisonous or carcinogenic, especially used long-term. I'll see if I can find that missing fact.

Found it. Sassafras creates safrole, which is known to cause cancer and liver damage. That doesn't stop people from using it though. Some folks like the taste.

There was a similar story I read a while back about a guy who loved the taste of meat smoked with hemlock in spite of the warnings. He ended up dying of stomach cancer at at 45.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddavidn
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cool, foggy and damp day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Here is a list of woods acceptable for smoking.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/woods-for-smoking.50439/

Toward the bottom of the list it says to avoid using sassafras. There's a reason though. It is either poisonous or carcinogenic, especially used long-term. I'll see if I can find that missing fact.

Found it. Sassafras creates safrole, which is known to cause cancer and liver damage. That doesn't stop people from using it though. Some folks like the taste.

There was a similar story I read a while back about a guy who loved the taste of meat smoked with hemlock in spite of the warnings. He ended up dying of stomach cancer at at 45.
Thanks so much for the info I know now not to use it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky