Wood Moisture Meter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biged92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 23, 2012
Huntington Beach, California
I just recently acquired a reverse flow offset smoker, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good wood moisture meter. I appreciate the help.

I was at Lowes the other day to get an infrared Thermometer , and they had some moisture meters hanging on the display .

Reactions: biged92
Just ordered one for $4 on Amazon. I suspect it's accurate enough for me. Shouldn't be too hard to maintain a soggy chip and a bone dry chip to use as test standards. My main worry is that it'll be hard to insert the pins fully into most woods without busting the cheap case.
Will report back.

I have two. I bought this General meter in 2018

General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter

I thought I'd lost it and bought another one, this time I spent quite a bit more money , thinking I was gonna get a very accurate meter

Extech MO210 Pocket Size Moisture Meter

And then of course, my first one turns up so now I have two. And I get almost identical readings from both of them. I would recommend the General .

20230616_174847.jpg

I thought about getting one, but I keep my splits inside the barn, so the humidity in the wood should not be greater than relative humidity in the air, which I can't change anyhow.

...humidity in the wood should not be greater than relative humidity in the air,...
You may be surprised the moisture that wood retains after splitting. If it dried quickly, lumber companies wouldn't need to invest in kilns.
Note too these meters read absolute water percentage in wood. Air is read as relative humidity to what would condense out, not relative to a 100% pool of water. 40% RH doesn't mean a wet rag only dries out to 40% water--it will get a lot drier than that.

Do an experiment - stick a moisture meter all around the outside of the wood in question, write down the numbers, then split the wood and stick the moisture meter in the middle of the wood.

Wood takes a while to dry/cure and that is all there is to it - unless you have a kiln.

You may be surprised the moisture that wood retains after splitting. If it dried quickly, lumber companies wouldn't need to invest in kilns.
Note too these meters read absolute water percentage in wood. Air is read as relative humidity to what would condense out, not relative to a 100% pool of water. 40% RH doesn't mean a wet rag only dries out to 40% water--it will get a lot drier than that.
What I have is thoroughly dry. I break my wood down to 2 to 3 inch splits and they sit a year or better in the barn before I use them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky