• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

wood-fired pizza oven

Joined Jun 24, 2021
Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase a wood-fired pizza oven. Because I enjoy experimenting with different flavours offered by various woods. But my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it? I thought that it was better to take an opinion from others before making the decision.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
Why do they think it's a bad idea?

I don't personally own one but the fact they've been around forever indicates to me that they're a brilliant idea!

I say go for it and show them what you can do!

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 5, 2018
Did they give you any reason as to why they think its a bad idea? Maybe they are thinking you will not use it enough to justify the cost.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it
I don't know , is it ?
How much are you spending , and can you afford it ? That's a question you have to ask yourself I would say .
Like Steve said above look at some options .
I've been wanting to build one for awhile now . Just not sure building a hot fire to do a couple pizza makes sense . So thinking propane . I'm after the heat more than wood flavor .
However , just ate at this place last Weds. Was really good . Pepperoni with hot honey and an Italian sausage and basil . Man it was good .
IMG_6838.jpg

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase a wood-fired pizza oven. Because I enjoy experimenting with different flavours offered by various woods. But my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it? I thought that it was better to take an opinion from others before making the decision.
First, welcome to the Forum from South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country. GO FOR IT! I wouldn't try to convince anyone why you want one. You see the bigger picture - "it's a high temp outdoor oven!" And if it sets for a while, so what? I have cooking equipment that may get used once or twice a year. But, it's there when I need/want it. Use the Forum Search app to read what others have done. But, don't limit it to pizza ovens only. Cross over ideas and make them work for you and your oven. Please keep us in the loop with pictures and your good, not so good, and huh? moments!

MOST CRITICAL OPINION: Pick the brains of the folks here on the Forum for techniques and meal ideas they have using their pizza/outdoor ovens.
Above All Have Fun!🍻
John

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
I don't know , is it ?
How much are you spending , and can you afford it ? That's a question you have to ask yourself I would say .
Like Steve said above look at some options .
I've been wanting to build one for awhile now . Just not sure building a hot fire to do a couple pizza makes sense . So thinking propane . I'm after the heat more than wood flavor .
However , just ate at this place last Weds. Was really good . Pepperoni with hot honey and an Italian sausage and basil . Man it was good .
View attachment 501184
Chop you know you can always add a log to the propane version for the flavor.....I know I'm not helping.

Not sure how to give you advice on talking to your parents and friends but "why" is a good question.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Chop you know you can always add a log to the propane version for the flavor.....I know I'm not helping.
I did look at a couple that were dual fuel . Wood or propane .

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Look at the kettle pizza attachment for a Weber kettle. I have one & it makes killer pizza.
Al

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
E Elizabeth M. Thomas , your parents and friends are right.
A wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea because these very same folks will now be calling you for pizza instead of calling for delivery. :emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

Seriously, the only reason I can think of why they would say a wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea is IF you live in a apartment/condo where the rules say you cannot use wood,charcoal or gas fired cooking devices on the patio/balcony.

There are some very affordable options out there for wood fired pizza ovens.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Do you already own a stone and have made pizza at home? A hot oven and stone make incredibly good pizza. We turn on our broiler halfway to get char... Wood fired oven is the ultimate no doubt but is not gonna make up for weak dough or sauce recipes or choice of cheese. If and when I do a outdoor oven, gonna be propane for sure and I will use a AMNTS for smoke if need be. Now if you have your pies down and am ready to pull the trigger, then do so by all means.

Joined Jun 24, 2021
Thank you so much for your suggestions and replies. I ordered a wood-fired pizza oven. I convinced my parents by showing them some of your replies. They were not at all convinced but allowed me to have one because they knew my love for food. They are afraid that I will spend a lot of money on it and if it's not good, I will go for a gas oven. So they thought that it was better to go for a gas oven. But now they realized so many people in the wood-fired pizza oven. My friends disagreed because they hate its taste because it differs from the woods we use.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.