wood-fired pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Elizabeth M. Thomas

Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase a wood-fired pizza oven. Because I enjoy experimenting with different flavours offered by various woods. But my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it? I thought that it was better to take an opinion from others before making the decision.

Why do they think it's a bad idea?

I don't personally own one but the fact they've been around forever indicates to me that they're a brilliant idea!

I say go for it and show them what you can do!

Reactions: Bearcarver and PPG1
Did they give you any reason as to why they think its a bad idea? Maybe they are thinking you will not use it enough to justify the cost.

my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it
I don't know , is it ?
How much are you spending , and can you afford it ? That's a question you have to ask yourself I would say .
Like Steve said above look at some options .
I've been wanting to build one for awhile now . Just not sure building a hot fire to do a couple pizza makes sense . So thinking propane . I'm after the heat more than wood flavor .
However , just ate at this place last Weds. Was really good . Pepperoni with hot honey and an Italian sausage and basil . Man it was good .
IMG_6838.jpg

Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase a wood-fired pizza oven. Because I enjoy experimenting with different flavours offered by various woods. But my friends and parents say that it is a bad idea. Is it? I thought that it was better to take an opinion from others before making the decision.
First, welcome to the Forum from South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country. GO FOR IT! I wouldn't try to convince anyone why you want one. You see the bigger picture - "it's a high temp outdoor oven!" And if it sets for a while, so what? I have cooking equipment that may get used once or twice a year. But, it's there when I need/want it. Use the Forum Search app to read what others have done. But, don't limit it to pizza ovens only. Cross over ideas and make them work for you and your oven. Please keep us in the loop with pictures and your good, not so good, and huh? moments!

MOST CRITICAL OPINION: Pick the brains of the folks here on the Forum for techniques and meal ideas they have using their pizza/outdoor ovens.
Above All Have Fun!🍻
John

Reactions: mike243
I don't know , is it ?
How much are you spending , and can you afford it ? That's a question you have to ask yourself I would say .
Like Steve said above look at some options .
I've been wanting to build one for awhile now . Just not sure building a hot fire to do a couple pizza makes sense . So thinking propane . I'm after the heat more than wood flavor .
However , just ate at this place last Weds. Was really good . Pepperoni with hot honey and an Italian sausage and basil . Man it was good .
View attachment 501184

Chop you know you can always add a log to the propane version for the flavor.....I know I'm not helping.

Not sure how to give you advice on talking to your parents and friends but "why" is a good question.

Look at the kettle pizza attachment for a Weber kettle. I have one & it makes killer pizza.
Al

E Elizabeth M. Thomas , your parents and friends are right.
A wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea because these very same folks will now be calling you for pizza instead of calling for delivery. :emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

Seriously, the only reason I can think of why they would say a wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea is IF you live in a apartment/condo where the rules say you cannot use wood,charcoal or gas fired cooking devices on the patio/balcony.

There are some very affordable options out there for wood fired pizza ovens.

Reactions: JLinza
I have the Blue Rooster cast Iron one at my house in PA, pretty fun to use, holds a 13" stone inside. Not cheap but is pretty cool and seems like it will last forever. Seems to have gone up a bit since covid, I think I paid like $689 last year.

1624638406352.png

Reactions: kilo charlie
Do you already own a stone and have made pizza at home? A hot oven and stone make incredibly good pizza. We turn on our broiler halfway to get char... Wood fired oven is the ultimate no doubt but is not gonna make up for weak dough or sauce recipes or choice of cheese. If and when I do a outdoor oven, gonna be propane for sure and I will use a AMNTS for smoke if need be. Now if you have your pies down and am ready to pull the trigger, then do so by all means.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and replies. I ordered a wood-fired pizza oven. I convinced my parents by showing them some of your replies. They were not at all convinced but allowed me to have one because they knew my love for food. They are afraid that I will spend a lot of money on it and if it's not good, I will go for a gas oven. So they thought that it was better to go for a gas oven. But now they realized so many people in the wood-fired pizza oven. My friends disagreed because they hate its taste because it differs from the woods we use.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
First, welcome to the Forum from South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country. GO FOR IT! I wouldn't try to convince anyone why you want one. You see the bigger picture - "it's a high temp outdoor oven!" And if it sets for a while, so what? I have cooking equipment that may get used once or twice a year. But, it's there when I need/want it. Use the Forum Search app to read what others have done. But, don't limit it to pizza ovens only. Cross over ideas and make them work for you and your oven. Please keep us in the loop with pictures and your good, not so good, and huh? moments!

MOST CRITICAL OPINION: Pick the brains of the folks here on the Forum for techniques and meal ideas they have using their pizza oven accessories.
Above All Have Fun!🍻
John
Hi, I’m thinking about building outdoor wood fired oven. I haven’t settled on size, materials, or design yet. Cob dome is something I am really considering, if I can find some clay in my backyard, just from a cost perspective and a bit of a trial run. Other than pizza I’m not sure what we would cook in it. Maybe a large batch of flat breads. My dad has gotten quite good at Dutch oven bread in a conventional oven. So it could see some bread baking. As a family of 6 we can really pack away the food if everyone is enjoying it. Right now my 2 year old can polish of a happy meal and say he’s still hungry and my 10 year old eat as much as I do. We don’t really entertain other than high holidays. Is this a silly idea? If you have a pizza oven how often do you use it? If you have a wood fired oven is the extra work to fire it up worth it? What style/shape is the best? Happy to hear your thought or wishes.

One should always consider heat up time vs actual use time. Try pizzamaking forum.

The great majority of flavor comes from long, cold rise times. Texture and a bit more flavors comes from high temperatures.
There are quite a few small, portable, pizza ovens that burn wood, or combo with wood . You might consider those to test the desire for wood flavor pizza.

A little long winded here, but hopefully there will be some useful information for you.

What you spend on an oven is a key factor.
All depends on your pocketbook and enthusiasm.
I've had two WFO's and now have a propane one.
I spent a "lot" on my 2nd WFO and only used it every other Saturday, but I enjoyed it, and tending the fire.

As R Randy1 said, you need to consider the startup time.
My first WFO had double walls of metal.
It would get up to temp in about 90 minutes and could be used then.
The other one I had cement (or something like it) walls that were probably 4-5 inches thick.
It would take more than 2 hours to get up to temp.
Mind you by "up to temp" I mean 500-550f and does not count saturation of the walls.
That is suitable for most pizzas.
If you want to do Neapolitan, that's another story.
You need 850-900f and a longer startup time.

Wood is something you need to consider and investigate before you even think about an oven.
Can you get a "good" hardwood?
Do you have room to protect and store a cord of wood?
Oak is probably most prevalent hardwood, but will cost more than typical firewood you see on Craigslist.
How much is the wood going to cost?
If you buy a cord, chances are likely you won't get a cord.
They will try to cheat you. Obviously not all, but many small time sellers will.
If you know how much you should be getting and the load isn't right.
You can try to negotiate a lower price, or tell them you don't want it.

Wood was getting more expensive here, over $500 for a cord.
That is why I have a propane oven now.

As R Randy1 stated Pizzamaking.com is an excellent resource.
Lots of information there on ready made, kit, and DIY ovens.

E Elizabeth M. Thomas , your parents and friends are right.
A wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea because these very same folks will now be calling you for pizza instead of calling for delivery. :emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

Seriously, the only reason I can think of why they would say a wood fired pizza oven is a bad idea is IF you live in a apartment/condo where the rules say you cannot use wood,charcoal or gas fired cooking devices on the patio/balcony.

There are some very affordable options out there for wood fired Pizza Vans.
Home pizza oven owners - I'm toying with either a Fyra or a a Karu. The first runs on pellets whereas after is 50 quid dearer and seems to run logs charcoal or gas with an additional purchase of an adaptor. Any views on pros and cons? Anyone got one of these?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky