Wireless with range

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I have owned a Maverick and presently own a Thermoworks Smoke ll. It's rural here and cell phone apps work very poorly here. Looking for a wireless remote that will penetrate my garage doors and the brick walls of my house while I am sleeping and doing an overnight smoke. Neither the Maverick or Smoke ll can do this.

I have an Ink bird that I have no problems with . IBT-4SX . My router is dual band . Connecting to the 2.4 gives better results .

That's the speed of wireless routers . 2.4 or 5G . 2.4 is better for going thru walls and such .

Ok , I got myself thinking about something else I was working on . That does not apply to this . Sorry about that . But that therm I listed has great range .

I was speaking with someone at Thermoworks the other day and one of the items she mentionsed was their Smoke X long range bbq alarm thermometer. She said it has a 1.24 mile line of sight range. I don't know how it works going threw brick walls. I would give them a call to see if that would work for you. Maybe theywould let you try it and if it didn't work return it.

The link for it is below.

I have the Inkbird IRF-4S , it works great , no wifi or cell needed, I can go over 1000' away and still reads , ( don't know y u would need to go that far , but it will) 4 probes that can be programmed for meat or pit temp.
Rob

Reactions: whistlepig
I have the Thermpro TP-20 Works great for me to about 250 ft. I also use a Tappecue touch. this one works great on wifi, 4 probes and I can be 50 miles away and still see my temps. I do use this one for overnight smokes and at work. its around 120 for starter set up.

I do have the one chopsaw chopsaw has. I have lost connection 3 times from on the driveway to other end of house ( approx 90') which there would be numerous walls between A & B. It does reconnect itself almost immediately though.
Also have the IRF-4S, and TP20 that I have not lost anything in same location.

Reactions: whistlepig
I've had the 1RF-4S a couple of weeks now. It's a far better unit than a ThermoWorks Smoke II for short smokes so far. Doing a butt overnight tonight and using the 1RF-4S for the the same situation the Smoke II failed on. We'll see how well it has done in the morning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky