Wire wrap for pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SomeMeatGuy

Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
Working on building a cinder block smoker. Challenge I’m having is the type of mesh wire to wrap the hog in.

can I use concrete wire mesh? It’s non galvanized.

other ideas?

sorry.I’m sure this has been asked but, for the life of me, I cant find a solid answer. Thank you!

I would not want anything galvanized to be in my cook chamber, zinc plated either, or touching the meat. Get a couple of pieces of light expanded metal, like 18 gauge. It would be more costly than hardware cloth, but would last.

Alright, thanks guys. I already have 2 of 24x48” of this stuff (#9 expanded flattened). I was gunna use that as my base grate but I’ll switch up my cinder block plans and add more rebar for meat support and use the two pieces for the wrap vs an unneeded grate.

Do I tie them together w the hog inside? If so, with what? Again, most every bare wire I’ve found is galvanized and that’s what I want to avoid.

THANK YOU!

Rebar tied in a grid works great. Make two, one for bottom one for top. Then tie those together around the hog so you can flip it when needed.

Use tie wire for rebar. It’s just plain soft steel wire. Concrete section of Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Alright, thanks guys. I already have 2 of 24x48” of this stuff (#9 expanded flattened). I was gunna use that as my base grate but I’ll switch up my cinder block plans and add more rebar for meat support and use the two pieces for the wrap vs an unneeded grate.

Do I tie them together w the hog inside? If so, with what? Again, most every bare wire I’ve found is galvanized and that’s what I want to avoid.

THANK YOU!
Get a roll of stainless steel mig welding wire. It’s tightly wrapped so be cautious as you take it off the spool or you will have a mess.

Plain old cheap baler wire (TSC, Rural King, Farm & Fleet, etc). just be sure to wipe packing oil off with mineral spirits before using.

Pig came out great! Thank you for everybody’s help!!!

96C0DC18-E6B5-4D48-9196-C565BE23483F.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky