Winco - Spend $100 Get a free Jennie-O Frozen Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Needed to do some serious grocery shopping today. Like the title says, spend $100 at Winco get a free Jennie-O frozen turkey.

I got one of these turkeys last year and wasn't expecting much in the way of flavor or juiciness. Man, was I wrong. It put a Butterball to shame in all areas.

I like to shop on Tues-Wed-Thurs afternoons because there is never a crowd. Wow. Not today! Folks are shopping early.

Get 'em while you can! I got a 20 lb'er. Regular price is 98 cents/lb, which is some cheap protein even if you paid for it.

I saw where our local Brookshire's had their turkey special of buy a Brookshire's spiral ham & get a Jennie-O turkey for free. I plan to have both in my freezer by dark :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: noboundaries
Needed to do some serious grocery shopping today. Like the title says, spend $100 at Winco get a free Jennie-O frozen turkey.

I got one of these turkeys last year and wasn't expecting much in the way of flavor or juiciness. Man, was I wrong. It put a Butterball to shame in all areas.

I like to shop on Tues-Wed-Thurs afternoons because there is never a crowd. Wow. Not today! Folks are shopping early.

Get 'em while you can! I got a 20 lb'er. Regular price is 98 cents/lb, which is some cheap protein even if you paid for it.

I've honestly never noticed a difference in any turkey I buy OTHER THAN the fresh turkeys are always better but that's most meat in general.

This year I got 2 butterballs because they were $0.99/lb and people rave about them.
All my store brand and other brand turkeys all come out well so they all seem the same to me. I have a feeling these butterballs will be no different than other frozen turkey's I've bough in the past.

If work will stop killing me I can probably part those 2 turkeys out today and start curing them. They've been in the fridge defrosting for 7 days now.

I'll likely get 1 more. I think I'm slowly talking myself into trying to make turkey sausage and will just use the breast meat with pork backfat to do so.... provided my pork back fat isn't freezer burned. Now the question is what type of turkey sausage. German bologna, hot link style, ?????? no clue hahaha.

Definitely some good deals to be had on turkeys right now! Chances are your gonna spend $100 on grocery anyway so why not grab that free turkey!! You did good man!

I'll likely get 1 more. I think I'm slowly talking myself into trying to make turkey sausage and will just use the breast meat with pork backfat to do so.... provided my pork back fat isn't freezer burned. Now the question is what type of turkey sausage. German bologna, hot link style, ?????? no clue hahaha.
tallbm tallbm , ive had good luck grinding turkey and chicken with the skin if you want it all turkey or come to find out your back fat is freezer burnt. I usualy bone out the thighs and use that with the skin. Turns out a pretty good end product.

tallbm tallbm , ive had good luck grinding turkey and chicken with the skin if you want it all turkey or come to find out your back fat is freezer burnt. I usualy bone out the thighs and use that with the skin. Turns out a pretty good end product.

That's some good info to know for sure. I love my cured thighs and drumbs too much to sacrifice them to sausage though hahaha. I have at least 20 pounds of trimmed pork back fat and it only takes 2 pounds to make 10 pounds of sausage at 80/20 ratio so you can see why my mind automatically goes to sausage. I have the ability crank out 100 pounds of sausage but no 100% meat to do so with since I haven't been hunting in 2 years. Gotta use it up. Hell I may have closer to 30-40 pounds of backfat. I gotta check hahaha.

That's some good info to know for sure. I love my cured thighs and drumbs too much to sacrifice them to sausage though hahaha. I have at least 20 pounds of trimmed pork back fat and it only takes 2 pounds to make 10 pounds of sausage at 80/20 ratio so you can see why my mind automatically goes to sausage. I have the ability crank out 100 pounds of sausage but no 100% meat to do so with since I haven't been hunting in 2 years. Gotta use it up. Hell I may have closer to 30-40 pounds of backfat. I gotta check hahaha.

Well hopefully you get the chance to use it up on some stuff! Check this thread out from sawhorseray sawhorseray .. Ive been wanting to give it a try. Might be something you could use the turkey for!

I've honestly never noticed a difference in any turkey I buy OTHER THAN the fresh turkeys are always better but that's most meat in general.

This year I got 2 butterballs because they were $0.99/lb and people rave about them.
All my store brand and other brand turkeys all come out well so they all seem the same to me. I have a feeling these butterballs will be no different than other frozen turkey's I've bough in the past.

My wife and in laws are big Butterball turkey fans. To me, they are generally consistent for tenderness but kind of flat tasting.

Fresh turkeys in my area go for $4-$6 / lb. I've had mixed results with them for flavor and tenderness.

The Jennie-O last year was a surprise. I'll soon know it it was a one-off.

Well hopefully you get the chance to use it up on some stuff! Check this thread out from sawhorseray sawhorseray .. Ive been wanting to give it a try. Might be something you could use the turkey for!

Oooooh I"ll definitley have to check that out!! Thanks for sharing it :D

My wife and in laws are big Butterball turkey fans. To me, they are generally consistent for tenderness but kind of flat tasting.

Fresh turkeys in my area go for $4-$6 / lb. I've had mixed results with them for flavor and tenderness.

The Jennie-O last year was a surprise. I'll soon know it it was a one-off.
I've had good experiences with Jenni-O, Singature Farms, Kroger (yep label said Kroger haha), and Honeysuckle brands.
Fresh I can't recall.

So as you can see I've tried a number of different turkeys and all were perfectly fine, couldn't tell a difference between them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky