wild turkey

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by redneck69, May 23, 2011.

1. redneck69

redneck69 Smoking Fanatic

another buddy of mine asked me to smoke a wild turkey that he shot this spring, i told him to thaw it and bring it over.  he brought it over friday night, so i did not have time to brine it. saturday morning i fired up the MES 40 to 245 with apple and hickory going in the AMNS.  i washed and seasoned the bird with a chipolte lime rub and draped the bacon. i put the bird in about 7:30 am with a couple pork shoulders, 1 for my brother in laws b-day party that night and one to vacuum seal for later use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

about 10:30 am i pulled the bacon off so the skit could crisp up and pulled the bird about 11:10 am when the breast temp hit 165.  for being a wild turkey, i think it had a better taste than the store birds you can buy.  nice flavor, very juicy and my buddy really like it,  i'm guessing i will be doing his other 2 birds as well.

thanx for looking.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

It looks good and I'm gonna guess that you set the smoker at 245 and not 145?

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That was gonna be my first question, Piney.

4. redneck69

redneck69 Smoking Fanatic

ooopppppsss fat finger, thanx for catching it piney, ill correct it in my post.