Wife brought home a 15 pound Boston butt from sams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

samaridad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Mableton, ga
Now what? I have always done like 8 to ten pounders a couple at a time. Using the wood burner. I want to use my new MES 40 with 1200 watts and remote. Will this unit Handel this. The real question is can I get out of the danger zone within the four hours time frame? What temp would be best? I use 225 degrees 1.5 hours per pound with Jeffs rub applied. need to start this evening for dinner tomorrow. Any help would be welcome. Thank you

Is it a single 15lb butt or is it two butts vacuum sealed together?

The only way I've seen them from Sam's Club is two in a cryopak.  Open that baby up and see what's inside.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks I will open the package. Just started shopping at sams, so not in to the big packages. Really joined to get deal on MES 40 298 with a remote what a lazy deal. Sit in the chair with all the information at my finger tip. I place the unit on the back deck so I see it from my chair. I get up when the thin blue smoke is gone.
question soak chips or not?
It was after reading this site I chose the MES for my next smoker. I will be going for a bigger (trailer unit) next
Thank you all for the knowlege you freely share

So we are alll curious, what did you find in the package? Was it one humumgous butt or 2 average sized ones 

Sorry had to run home at lunch You guys are so smart Two perfect butts. Thanks guys so how about it soak chips or not for MES 40 with 1200 watt element? Thank you for all your help over the years!

You are going to love the AMNS for sure.  I have been using mine since they first came out and just ordered  3 more for friends and family

Glad it was two butts and hope you have a great smoke---oh and I wouldn't soak the chips personally

I buy my butts at sams most of the time by the case and they always come two to a cryovac pack, usually 4 packs to a case which = 8 butts. You can call your local sams and find out what the case price is for butts if you want a better price

[h1]Wife brought home a 15 pound Boston butt from sams............[/h1]
U lucky Man U, wish I had that problem, the current and the 2 previous only brought Me headaches

Hey skully your right I got a GREAT ONE the second time around. She
Let's me be ME. The butts turned out great. I took pictures along the way and cooked them the Jeffs mistake way. No pictures of finished product. I had a flood of family and friends show up. A good time was had by all. My son text his girlfriend and it spread from there. Glad I had enought. Thanks for the help guys

I just bought 2 packs (so 4 - 7 lb butts) myself to cook for church.  I've never done this before, LOL.  If I roast them in the oven does anyone know the temp and duration of cooking time?  I probably need to only cook two butts at a time, huh?  I plan on throwing them on the BBQ grill to hickory smoke them for a few hours when they're done.  What to I season them with before I cook em?  Should I just rub them down or inject them with something??  I really want them to be juicy and flavorful.

I just bought 2 packs (so 4 - 7 lb butts) myself to cook for church.  I've never done this before, LOL.  If I roast them in the oven does anyone know the temp and duration of cooking time?  I probably need to only cook two butts at a time, huh?  I plan on throwing them on the BBQ grill to hickory smoke them for a few hours when they're done.  What to I season them with before I cook em?  Should I just rub them down or inject them with something??  I really want them to be juicy and flavorful.
Smoke them first, then finish in the oven if you want.  If you do it the other way(oven first) the meat will absorb little or no smoke.  Put them in the smoker until the IT hits 165° or so, then wrap in foil and  finish them in the oven until the IT hits 198° 'ish

I use dry chips and put a couple of decent apple wood chunks that I do soak in each round. Seems to take the smoke session longer. Smoke Hollow electric.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky