WHOLE RIBEYE-UMAI DRY AGED 45 DAYS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
The first dry aged ribeye I did was just on a rack in the fridge, it was a bone in prime rib & I dry aged it for 40 days. This time I bought a whole boneless ribeye at Sam's & tried the UMAi dry bag method. I went 45 days on this one.
Here is what I started with.
1.jpg

This is how it looked after 45 days.

2.jpg

3.jpg

It's nice & shiny with no real odor, just a little funky.

4.jpg

5.jpg

I started out with a piece of meat that was just a bit over 20 lbs.
My scale only goes up to 10 lbs. So I cut this in half to weigh it & see how much weight loss there was, and it weighed 16 pounds, so about a 20% weight loss.

6.jpg

The color of the meat was incredible, very dark red & noticeably more tender.
I cut it into individual steaks before I did any trimming.

7.jpg

You can see there is a very thin crust that needs to be trimmed off. Not much waste at all.

9.jpg

Here they are all trimmed up & ready for the grill.

10.jpg

I took the 2 small one's that were on the end & grilled them up. they were pretty thin & cooked real quick. I forgot to take any photo's of them after they were done, but here they are ready for the grill. How about that color!!

12.jpg

Then the next day my neighbor's & Judy & I got together, he said he would grill the steaks & provide the sides. The steaks were pretty big so he said we could both share a steak, which worked out well cause I can't eat a whole steak anymore & we like ours rare & they like more medium. So on the grill they go.

13.jpg

They cook really fast so you have to watch them pretty close.

14.jpg

This is how we like our steaks, nice & rare!

15.jpg

It was a great meal, and the steaks were tender & very flavorful.

16.jpg

I'm anxious to try SV'ing one & then searing it with my Searzall.
The UMAi bags are kind of pricey, but I think there is a lot less waste with the bags, compared with just dry ageing without the bag. I have enough steaks to last a year, but when I do this again, I'm going to hold out & see what a 60 day dry aged steak tastes like!
Thanks for looking folks!
Al

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 35
Those look great!

I'm doing one myself that I'm going to let go for 30 days. Never had dry aged before so going to try 30 days first time around.

I only hope they come out as nice as yours!

Good morning SmokinAl SmokinAl !

I'm a dry aged steak lovin fool ... but I know little about these UMAI bags. I've seen them, but haven't looked in to them.

I have a question: If the roast is in a bag, and losing weight, wouldn't it be "wet aging", or does the bag absorb/expell the liquid lost from the meat? If so, I's assume you need to keep it in a large pan while aging?

Have a great day!!

Last edited:
Great lookin steaks, Al. I may have to try this sometime

Good morning SmokinAl SmokinAl !

I'm a dry aged steak loin fool ... but I know little about these UMAI bags. I've seen the, but haven't looked in to them.

I have a question: If the roast is in a bag, and losing weight, wouldn't it be "wet aging", or does the bag absorb/expell the liquid lost from the meat? If so, I's assume you need to keep it in a large pan while aging?

Have a great day!!

They are special bags that allow the moisture to get out, but not allow oxygen or bacteria to get in.
Al

Those look great!

I'm doing one myself that I'm going to let go for 30 days. Never had dry aged before so going to try 30 days first time around.

I only hope they come out as nice as yours!

Thank you!
Most of the restaurants go 30 days, but in my opinion, you don't get much of a flavor change until you go beyond 30 days.

Great lookin steaks, Al. I may have to try this sometime

Thanks Adam!!
I'm sure you will try it sometime, and then you can never go back!
Al

Wow, they sure look good! Looks like you’re set for awhile.

Yea they should last me until this time next year!
Al

Lookin' good Al!
Any discernible difference between the 40 day age and 45?

Thanks!
Not really much difference, I think you need to go a bit longer.
Next one for me will be 60 days.
Al

Coming your way in March might have to stop in. man that would be an awesome meal.

Warren

Well maybe we can make that happen!!
Al

Al thanks for sharing...They look pretty amazing!!

Thanks Doug!
They were good for sure!!
Al

Pics made me salivate so hard I thought my salivary glands were self destructing.
That meat, those steaks... Dammit man!
Like!

Thanks John!
It's a long wait, but if you have a space in the fridge it's really easy to do, and with the bags you don't get any smell on the other food in the fridge!
Al

I just watched several YouTube videos using their bags.... I'm sold. I see a dry aged brisket coming for the 4th of July!

It's funny you mentioned that cause Walmart had Choice packers on sale a couple of days ago & I have one in a UMAi bag right now! I think I may turn it into pastrami after it is dry aged. Another experiment!!
Al

Those steaks look awesome points on that for sure! I’m hoping to try this one day

Thanks!
Yea you should give it a try at least one time so you can see the difference between a fresh steak & a dry aged one!
Al

Looks Mighty Tasty from here, Al !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
Appreciate it Buddy!
Al

Looks Great Al!
Looking forward to your thoughts on Sous Vide, SearzAll.

Well I'm doing that tonight!
I'm going to do the SV at 125 for 2 hours, then hit it with the searzall!
I know I should be above 130, and I'm sure Dave Omak will chime in & let me know that I'm taking a big chance doing this, but I just like my steaks rare & at 130 you get med/rare.
So I'll take a chance & see what happens!
Al

Looks great as always . Never had dry aged .

Thanks Chop!
If you try it you won't go back!!
Al

I'll be standing by.
Make sure you are stocked up on TP in case your gut disagrees. ;^(
I thought the torch forgives all indiscretion's?

I want to Sous Vide some Steak for the wife. She like her's rare-ish, and I tend to burn-ish... LOL!

I can't age meat. It tends to get eaten in it's infancy around here.

Turning a packer into pastrami should be awesome after aging. Waiting to see results.

Warren

Yea me too Warren, but it's gonna be a while!!
Hopefully it will be worth the wait!
Al

I'll be standing by.
Make sure you are stocked up on TP in case your gut disagrees. ;^(
I thought the torch forgives all indiscretion's?

I want to Sous Vide some Steak for the wife. She like her's rare-ish, and I tend to burn-ish... LOL!

I can't age meat. It tends to get eaten in it's infancy around here.

If I'm not on here tomorrow you will know it didn't go well, but I've done SV as low as 120 for 2 hours & then seared in a CI pan. I would think the Searzall would work even better, cause you can get the sides much better.
We'll see!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky