WHOLE RIBEYE-UMAI DRY AGED 45 DAYS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The first dry aged ribeye I did was just on a rack in the fridge, it was a bone in prime rib & I dry aged it for 40 days. This time I bought a whole boneless ribeye at Sam's & tried the UMAi dry bag method. I went 45 days on this one.
Here is what I started with.
View attachment 386075

This is how it looked after 45 days.

View attachment 386077

View attachment 386076

It's nice & shiny with no real odor, just a little funky.

View attachment 386078

View attachment 386079

I started out with a piece of meat that was just a bit over 20 lbs.
My scale only goes up to 10 lbs. So I cut this in half to weigh it & see how much weight loss there was, and it weighed 16 pounds, so about a 20% weight loss.

View attachment 386080

The color of the meat was incredible, very dark red & noticeably more tender.
I cut it into individual steaks before I did any trimming.

View attachment 386081

You can see there is a very thin crust that needs to be trimmed off. Not much waste at all.

View attachment 386083

Here they are all trimmed up & ready for the grill.

View attachment 386084

I took the 2 small one's that were on the end & grilled them up. they were pretty thin & cooked real quick. I forgot to take any photo's of them after they were done, but here they are ready for the grill. How about that color!!

View attachment 386086

Then the next day my neighbor's & Judy & I got together, he said he would grill the steaks & provide the sides. The steaks were pretty big so he said we could both share a steak, which worked out well cause I can't eat a whole steak anymore & we like ours rare & they like more medium. So on the grill they go.

View attachment 386087

They cook really fast so you have to watch them pretty close.

View attachment 386088
This is how we like our steaks, nice & rare!

View attachment 386089
It was a great meal, and the steaks were tender & very flavorful.

View attachment 386090

I'm anxious to try SV'ing one & then searing it with my Searzall.
The UMAi bags are kind of pricey, but I think there is a lot less waste with the bags, compared with just dry ageing without the bag. I have enough steaks to last a year, but when I do this again, I'm going to hold out & see what a 60 day dry aged steak tastes like!
Thanks for looking folks!
Al

Yea me too Warren, but it's gonna be a while!!
Hopefully it will be worth the wait!
Al

If I'm not on here tomorrow you will know it didn't go well, but I've done SV as low as 120 for 2 hours & then seared in a CI pan. I would think the Searzall would work even better, cause you can get the sides much better.
We'll see!
Al
Looks amazing! Someday when I’m ready to join the Bigs I gotta try this! Mouth is watering

Looks amazing! Someday when I’m ready to join the Bigs I gotta try this! Mouth is watering

I think you will like the results, it’s a bit of a wait, but the flavor is amazing!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky