Whole Picanha Santa Maria style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Picked up around a 2.5 lb Picanha with fat cap on, dry brined for about 6 hours then rubbed both sides with salt, pepper, sugar, garlic, and onion powder, smoked paprika, and cumin mixture. Lit a small fire in my weber kettle using my vortex with wide side up, a little lump charcoal and hickory logs. Foiled up 5 potatoes with butter and placed them in kettle around vortex. When they started to soften I put on my new Santa Maria attachment, with the Picanha fat cap down, and let the flames just barely kiss it. Flipped when IT got to 90 and added some foiled ears of corn around the vortex, brought Picanha to 125 IT then lowered into the flame for a good sear on both sides. Came out great, and such a fun way to cook, and enjoy some cocktails around the fire.
9603ADB8-7D28-4D29-A3D7-7AB4A71D4EEF.jpeg
74B6B146-0DFD-458B-AD9A-05E97101752E.jpeg
5C0B9939-BC0B-4CF1-8CF7-2E7761F1F2AB.jpeg
2F665D29-C80E-4226-8C54-A02A2F2BA268.jpeg
BED927D1-3D0E-4FE8-94B6-6057652619C0.jpeg
1123F446-050C-4B94-8A22-33D785068A38.jpeg
1150539D-D6D0-46D1-A890-E4687932BC05.jpeg

Thanks guys, the nice thing about the Santa Maria is you can kinda make it cook as slow or as quick as you like with control of the grate and flames. I didn’t time it but probably right around an hour. I cooked fat cap down to start and just barley let the flames touch it. Was breezier than usual too.

Looks fantastic!
I agree with you, that the SM grills are a lot of fun to use. Do you have a rotisserie for yours too? I used to spatch my chickens & cook them on the grate, but after getting a roti for the grill, my wife wants rotisserie chicken all the time now!
Al

Looks delicious! But almost looks as fun cooking on your santa maria!

Ryan

Very nice SM setup. Love the end result. Picanha's are one of the most flavorful cuts you can get.

That’s a great rig. I’m loving Santa Maria grilling. I’m using it more than my smoker or charcoal grill. Such a great flavor.
Oh man you are killing me, now I want one of those attachments to the kettle as well... How long did the tators and cor need to be around the vortex? Did you soak the corn and put it on with the husk still on?

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks fantastic!
I agree with you, that the SM grills are a lot of fun to use. Do you have a rotisserie for yours too? I used to spatch my chickens & cook them on the grate, but after getting a roti for the grill, my wife wants rotisserie chicken all the time now!
Al
Thank you, do not have a rotisserie for it yet, but it’s on the wish list.

Very nice SM setup. Love the end result. Picanha's are one of the most flavorful cuts you can get.
Thank you, yes if I’m wanting a steak these days. I usually do Picanha or Tri tip whole and slice. My new favorite cut of beef, happy I discover those cuts and different ways to cook them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky