"Whole chuck roasts" ... for wedding suggests needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So just picked up two "whole chuck roasts" (i call them whole, i dunno if they actually are) ... they are 15lb a piece, I'm smoking them for pulled/chopped sandies for a wedding I'm doing the meat for. What do you suggest, injection, cutting in half, dry brining etc etc all information is good and helpful!
Planning on smoking them tomorrow so don't have a long time to work them.

* dont make fun of the price, short on time, bj's wholesale gets this win!
20210503_095408.jpg
20210503_095413.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
Since you are smoking them tomorrow, I'd keep things simple.
  • Keep the roasts whole, cutting in 1/2 makes the meat susceptible to drying out, unless you are going to wrap it in butcher paper or foil after smoking (like a brisket).
  • Basic dry rub - SPOG maybe light paprika or other touch of heat spice, covered overnight rest
  • Simple injection of beef stock/broth, with a touch of Worcestershire sauce /Apple Cider Vinegar to help keep the meat moist and add a mild flavor layer.
  • Let your smoke do the flavoring of the meat.
You can always add broth or sauce to the meat once you prep it and let it rest before reheating. 🍻
John

Since you are smoking them tomorrow, I'd keep things simple.
  • Keep the roasts whole, cutting in 1/2 makes the meat susceptible to drying out, unless you are going to wrap it in butcher paper or foil after smoking (like a brisket).
  • Basic dry rub - SPOG maybe light paprika or other touch of heat spice, covered overnight rest
  • Simple injection of beef stock/broth, with a touch of Worcestershire sauce /Apple Cider Vinegar to help keep the meat moist and add a mild flavor layer.
  • Let your smoke do the flavoring of the meat.
You can always add broth or sauce to the meat once you prep it and let it rest before reheating. 🍻
John
Glad we're on the same page! I was thinking all that but wasn't sure about the halving them if thatd be a good idea.

When it comes to making and injecting them, is that a day of smoking them or could i do it the night before( meaning tonight) i know some say day of cuase of Bacteria growth entering the inside of the meat. The injection I'll do is basic, beef broth, minced garlic, Worcestershire, and little bbq rub, sound good right?

Your injecting to night is fine just keep the meat cold.
Just a word of caution...If you plan to Inject, make sure your smoker does not Die before the IT hits 140.
You have a nice Chuck Roll but still a Small portion of the typical 120+ pound Whole Chuck Primal. I saw some Boy Scout roast a whole Chuck on a huge spit at a Jamboree in the 70's. That was a big hunk of tasty Beef...JJ

Reactions: Wurstmeister
I cook chuck rolls a lot, my Sam's carries them for restaurants who grind their own hamburger so you have to ask for them. Since they are boneless, they are simple to break down should you choose to. I like them closer to 16# so I can get one nice chuck roast and grind the rest.

I agree with injecting, and keeping the seasoning simple when cooking. I would suggest using a finishing rub when you shred or chop the meat, and make a lower salt version of your injection (or a nice au jus) for keeping the meat moist, or for dunking like a French dip. Those little styro cups that they sell night crawlers in are great for dipping jus.

Cooking the whole chuck roll is totally doable, but I don't think I've ever cooked a chuckie that was not wrapped or that was panned and wrapped, or that was not finished in a 18qt roaster. Chucks just benefit from a wrapped step. I would have some HD foil handy just in case.

There is no time to practice the 'roaster finish' method for an event this important...., but it's awesome for a buffet like situation for sandwiches. This works good with butts too. I generally smoke the meat all night and get it in the roaster by 9 or 10 am. The seasonings are dry French onion soup, dry Italian dressing mix, and a mild broth. Adding some mild pepperchini peppers is an option.
gfPum.jpg
HDmgYV6.jpg
GVmtA6K.jpg

I cook chuck rolls a lot, my Sam's carries them for restaurants who grind their own hamburger so you have to ask for them. Since they are boneless, they are simple to break down should you choose to. I like them closer to 16# so I can get one nice chuck roast and grind the rest.

I agree with injecting, and keeping the seasoning simple when cooking. I would suggest using a finishing rub when you shred or chop the meat, and make a lower salt version of your injection (or a nice au jus) for keeping the meat moist, or for dunking like a French dip. Those little styro cups that they sell night crawlers in are great for dipping jus.

Cooking the whole chuck roll is totally doable, but I don't think I've ever cooked a chuckie that was not wrapped or that was panned and wrapped, or that was not finished in a 18qt roaster. Chucks just benefit from a wrapped step. I would have some HD foil handy just in case.

There is no time to practice the 'roaster finish' method for an event this important...., but it's awesome for a buffet like situation for sandwiches. This works good with butts too. I generally smoke the meat all night and get it in the roaster by 9 or 10 am. The seasonings are dry French onion soup, dry Italian dressing mix, and a mild broth. Adding some mild pepperchini peppers is an option.
View attachment 495090
View attachment 495091
View attachment 495092
I'll be honest, i gotta pin this recipe, mouth is watering!

Alright, things have changed, I'm gonna do a overnight smoke, so getting up every so often to check them, I'm gonna do a separate thread for the cook, but thanks so much guys, once again the smokingmeat family saves the day!

I'll be honest, i gotta pin this recipe, mouth is watering!
That timeline is when smoking a chuck roll. If you have normal sized chuck roasts they will get enough smoke and color in 3 or 4 hours, and can then go into a 250° roaster or oven for braising. If you make this the day before.... chill overnight and skim some of the the fat, then slice/pull the beef. At this point you can add some seasoned salt or a rub to taste. This meat is great for sandwiches using those crunchy hard rolls. Add some of the peppers, then use the broth for dipping.
The braising liquid is:
1 jar of the pickled pepperoncini with the juice
1 can of beef broth (chicken broth can be used too)
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 package of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix.

Depending on the type of vessel you are braising in you may need to add more broth, some water or beer until the level looks good, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the roast covered.

Alright, things have changed, I'm gonna do a overnight smoke, so getting up every so often to check them, I'm gonna do a separate thread for the cook, but thanks so much guys, once again the smokingmeat family saves the day!
When making barbecue meat for sandwiches, cooking ahead is rarely a problem.... and I think the meat will have better flavor anyways. Just get it chilled down fast (I like zipper bags in an ice slurry in a cooler) to less than 40°. And frankly, since it's for a wedding it's probably the better plan since there is normally so much pressure on everyone that day.

Reactions: smokinq13
Here's the other thread:

If anyone is interested

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky