Whole Beef Eye of Round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grohl4pres

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Forney, TX
I have an eye of round which is not the greatest cut of meat but today I am throwing that dude in the smoker.  Still trying to decide what I am going to put on it and what wood to use.  I have some cherry I have never used and I am dying to find something to cook with it.  Here is what I am thinking so far.  I think I am going to make a marinade of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and worcestershire sauce.  I am still deciding on what spices to rub with, I am thinking a little red pepper, a lot of black pepper, some dill, and salt.  I do have a Chicago steak spice from Penzy's spices that is outstanding so I might put some of that on there.  I will update later on exact plan.  If you have some ideas throw them out.  I am fighting the urge to drench it in some good BBQ sauce and go to town..

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF. Now I would use the cherry for it's one of my favorite woods for smoking. Then use a simple salt pepper and maybe some garlic for the rub. I would start out simple and then smoke that puppie to maybe 140° and let it sit and REST that's really important. Then just slice it for some of the best beef sanwiches that you will have in a long long time. I would go check out the e- course below. You'll like it here cause there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with anything to do with smoking. Now we like having new folks here to give a new prospective on some of the ways we do things around here. Now if you are really new then I would suggest that you sign up fir the 5-day E-course it free and it will give you the basics on smoking and a few recipes too. Here's a link to it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/127

then you will have a method to your newly found madness and believe me it will be a madness. Then when you start smoking things you will have to learn how to post the pictures / Qview 

here. So here's a link to a tutorial on how to post your Qview so we can see what your doing.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

Now the next thing you have to do is run out and get something to smoke. Then just smoke it and if you have any questions just post  them here and we will answer all your questions that you might have. Oh yea there's no stupid questions we were all there in the beginning and we just really like to help others enjoy the fabulous smoked foods that we do. So again

Welcome to Your New Addiction  

Go GATORS  

Reactions: steve vanhoose
Thanks for the welcome!  I am not new to smoking foods but I am looking for new ways to smoke food!  I am from Oklahoma so I am very partial to BBQ and that good mesquite flavor.  I read this after I threw this thing in a marinade.  I just emptied the cabinet basically and we will see how it turns out.  I have soaking in a mixture of red wine vinegar, lemon juice with fresh lemons, beer, Worcestershire, and added a lot of garlic, dill, black pepper, red pepper for some spice, and some rosemary as well and to top it off I actually put some ginger ale to maybe give it a sweet taste to it.  We will see what she taste like but I bet it is good.  I am torn on wood though.  Like I said I am partial to mesquite but I am thinking apple or cherry on this one to add another flavor to the mixture I have.  What do you think?  I know it is a wild concoction but I do this stuff all the time and they turn out wonderful.

First off welcome to SMF. I guess it's a little late since you already have it in a marinade, but for eye of round I just use as little seasonings as possible. Maybe S&P, and a little steak seasoning. I like it rare so I smoke it to about 128-130 IT. Rest it, refrigerate it overnight & slice it thin for sammies.

Thanks for the welcome.  I agree with the rare.  I hate it when people cook beef and there is not blood left!  Like I was saying I just decided to mix up something and give it a try.  It is no big loss if it is not good but we will see.  I am looking for some easter ideas if anyone has some. 

That looks great!

Was it tender?

Looks to be about 145˚ from here.

Note: You have to take the pictures before eating any, because chewing causes blurry Qview.   
biggrin.gif

Bear

It was not bad at all!  Nice and juicy.  It was about as tender as an eye of round can be. I pulled it out when it hit 132 degrees and let it rest for around 45 minutes to an hour while I was making some other grub to go with it.  I tell you, this warm weather outside is making me want to fire up the smoker daily!  I am going to be smoking some chickens this weekend and maybe some ribs.  I will definately post pics!  Thanks you guys and if you ever have any ideas throw them at me because I have a lot of time on my hands from time to time and I will tryi it out..BOOMER SOONER

Dead on SmokinAl, pulled mine yesterday at 129 and wrapped and set outside for 2 - 3 hours then into the fridge overnight, paper thin with a meat slicer and is pink and tender as a baby bunny's ear...sliders today Italian Beef Muffuletta tomorrow.  You were dead on with your 128-130, thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky