Who sharpens their knives on whetstones?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So here's my now unused knife sharpener and the $15 (Amazon) microscope. I also had to buy a $6 pack of type C extension connectors to make it work with my Android phone. The microscope WILL NOT work with iPhone.

20220123_130141.jpg

Below are the unmagnified scratches on the Chicago cutlery 10" Chef's knife blade made by the sharpener. It's a knife my wife received as a gift in the early 1980's, so it's old (that whole sentence will probably land me in hot water).

20220123_125555.jpg

Those are actually kinda minor looking due to the brushed finish. They were MUCH more noticeable on my newer J.A. Henckels but I've started polishing them out with sandpaper.

Here are the gouges in the tip area of the 10" Chicago Cutlery knife.

1642971535528.jpg

Reactions: BXMurphy
I have a set of El Cheapo knives I bought a long time ago. Like $30 for 8 steak knives, two bread knives, two paring knives, and two fillet/boning knives. Plastic handle and the tang is only about an inch deep in the handle. They are beater knives that were sold as "never need sharpening." Probably 18/10 shiny steel (HRC 52-54). They just feel cheap. No great loss if one disappeared while camping or vacation.

I can't remember ever sharpening one. Was bored tonight and took one of the 6" fillet/boning knives to the Chef's Choice sharpener. No great improvement. 10 minutes on a 400/1000 stone and leather strop and it slices magazine paper like my good knives. Two words escaped my mouth as I sliced the paper. Not repeatable here. I love whetstone sharpening.

20220402_231151.jpg

Have an old EF/F DMT stone on a mount in the kitchen drawer. Routinely pull it out for a quick touch up. Hard to beat the convenience. Gave all my water stones to the youngsters a few years back. Have to limit my rabbit holes these days.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky