Who Makes Their Own Seasonings (Rubs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
When shopping for seasonings I usual look for something that does not have salt as first ingredient. I have never had the knack for making my own. I have a hatch pepper seasoning that I have tried to duplicate but just can't get it. I have received a couple recipes for forum members that where gratuitous to share with me. I know a lot of these self made seasonings have a lot of time and effort put into them and are closely guarded which I totally understand. If it was easy ...... Was wondering how many people make their own and would have one to share with the group?

Reactions: JC in GB
I picked up a salt based rub and ended up mixing it 50/50 with turbinado sugar which completely transformed the rub.

The best way to start a custom rub is with salt and pepper, add garlic and onion and then go from there. A lot depends on your personal tastes and the protein you're using.

I was once given a brisket rub recipe form a guy who supposedly did competition smoking. It had 1 cup of paprika in it and I was not impressed at all with it.

So many variables to such a simple question

d50wLyc.jpg

This is an excellent reference book, and Kirk goes into great detail explaining spices and how they combine to create different flavors. He starts off with the basic flavors like salt, pepper & garlic and then discusses next level flavors like brown sugar, paprika, nutmeg or cayenne, and adds more options in order to wind up with what he calls a "flavorprint" to give your rubs a personal signature.

I'm a fan of layering rubs. I learned this from Chris at Dizzy Pig BBQ when we were both active members on the original BGE forum. Here is a recipe for a seasoning I make, that I use as a base, then add another rub atop it. With only 5 ingredients, it's easy to re-design this seasoning to suit your tastes.

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Roasted Garlic Powder
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

I do both. I have a standing supply of Plowboy's Yardbird, The BBQ Rub by Killer Hogs, Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow, and Kosmos Q Dirty Bird. I make a finishing dust that Joe Pearce (Slaps BBQ) came up with -- it is great on ribs and pork butt. I also make my own SPOG, which is a no brainer.

I do. Start with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.... through in some black pepper, maybe paprika... add some celery salt, cumin, some cayenne...mustard powder

Nor being sarcastic, but most time just start mixing ingredients in a bowl, tasting now and then until i like the flavor.

Unfortunately i don't write anything down or weigh/measure

I've tried mixing my own for pork and have not come up with anything than Cimarron Doc's Sweet or PS BLUE RIBBON - COMPETITION-STYLE BBQ RIB RUB
I would like to experiment but at the cost of meat and ingredients I to ruin anything.

I have mixed my own in the past and still do on occasion, but shakers of BBQ rub and spice mixes make such good gifts that I normally am kept in stock on one or several that way

When shopping for seasonings I usual look for something that does not have salt as first ingredient. I have never had the knack for making my own. I have a hatch pepper seasoning that I have tried to duplicate but just can't get it. I have received a couple recipes for forum members that where gratuitous to share with me. I know a lot of these self made seasonings have a lot of time and effort put into them and are closely guarded which I totally understand. If it was easy ...... Was wondering how many people make their own and would have one to share with the group?
Oh buddy have I got you covered and most are hitting on it already.

Make up in equal parts (or less salt) Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG).

You will be amazed at the flavor of that base seasoning you can use on ANY meat. Try it on a burger you make to test :D

THEN do the same thing and add an equal part of Paprika (SPOG+Paprika). This can be your primary Pork and Chicken seasoning. You will also be amazed.

Next, make the same thing but omit the Salt and simply salt separately. I have a POG+Paprika like this JUST for pork ribs. Pork ribs are so easy to over salt its like mandatory to add salt separately from the other seasonings.

Finally, once you have SPOG you can go any direction you like with a seasoning or 2 added seperately.

Want to go Mexican or Tex/Mex, go SPOG+Paprika add Cumin and Chili Powder etc.

Want to go steak and chops, go SPOG and add a little bit of Cayenne pepper where its enough for flavor but not really for heat... unless you want the heat add more lol.

Want something more herb flavored, go SPOG + Rosemary and Sage, etc.

You get the idea :)

I have made my own seasonings since my wife had to go low sodium due to high blood pressure (HBP) issues. She also limits her sugar which also contribute to HBP issues.
Well hell, I got HBP too. Dropped 20# and so did the HBP.
My basic rub is 1:1 of Spanish paprika, cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and up to a portion of salt.

I do a salt free .
I really cut my salt and omit sugars.
Oh buddy have I got you covered and most are hitting on it already.
So easy to make blends that fit your taste and dietary needs.

I have made my own seasonings since my wife had to go low sodium due to high blood pressure (HBP) issues. She also limits her sugar which also contribute to HBP issues.
Well hell, I got HBP too. Dropped 20# and so did the HBP.
My basic rub is 1:1 of Spanish paprika, cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and up to a portion of salt.

I really cut my salt and omit sugars.

So easy to make blends that fit your taste and dietary needs.
Yep, AND it's more cost effective. Why pay $5-8 for a small shaker of seasoning when you can get a better price (cost per ounce) buying the individual seasonings.

Yeah overall cost may be a bit more but you get X amount times more seasoning/rub so cost per ounce is way way way lower. Have a ton of it for a good while :D

I pretty much make Jeff's rub(s) minus the salt. If I feel that salt is needed I will add a little to the amount I'm applying to the meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 801driver
I often get rubs as holiday gifts. I have used Heath Riles' Peach rub, Killer Hogs Original and hot, a few Slap Yo Daddy rubs. All good quality. I always have some Head Country Original on hand. A great all around rub and also makes great chili and taco base just add paprika and cumin.

I also make my own SPOG and when needed and variations of Jeff's Original and Jeff's Texas rub recipe. Both great all around rubs IMHO.

I have several rub recipes but usually go with three mentioned above.

JC :emoji_cat:

Was wondering how many people make their own and would have one to share with the group?
I've been making my own rubs for quite a while now. Got several of them I use for numerous occasions and pretty much any type of protein. Most, if not all of them, have been posted here but it'd be a nightmare to find them. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see about getting, just let me know Brian. It'd take a lot of bandwidth to post all of them here. I have taco seasoning, fajita, beef rub, dirt rub, pork, Cajun, a couple of Mexican themed seasoning mixes, etc....

Robert

Might get a few different recipes here:

Might get a few different recipes here:

Meathead’s Memphis Dust is the best pork rub I’ve had! It’s a great base to start with. I add jalapeño powder when I want to kick it up a notch.

If I like a recipe that calls for a specific commercial rub, I’ll try to reverse engineer it using the ingredients on the label, forgoing all of the chemical preservative garbage. Controlling salt content and eliminating preservatives are great reasons to make your own rubs. They also make great gifts. Get a nice shaker and fill it full of a homemade rub - who wouldn’t love unwrapping that?!

I've been making my own rubs for quite a while now. Got several of them I use for numerous occasions and pretty much any type of protein. Most, if not all of them, have been posted here but it'd be a nightmare to find them. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see about getting, just let me know Brian. It'd take a lot of bandwidth to post all of them here. I have taco seasoning, fajita, beef rub, dirt rub, pork, Cajun, a couple of Mexican themed seasoning mixes, etc....

Robert

WOW Robert, I would love to have your rub recipes. I have mine, but use commercial rubs too. You know the list JJ put up with his rubs, I have that saved on my iPad, and use them too, his pastrami rub is killer! Why not start a thread with your rub recipes so we can all use them. I bet you could just copy/paste & be done in a few minutes.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky