Who likes cherry wood?

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by smokininidaho, Oct 20, 2014.

1. smokininidaho

smokininidaho Smoke Blower

Found a great deal on some seasoned cherry wood, $70 for a half cord. I've used apple for some time now but never cherry, except for some chunks a few times. Can't wait to try it in my new braunfell offset.

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a great deal too me.

3. Hello.  Cherry will give your food a nice mahagony color and slightly sweet taste.  Add some pecan and you will be a VERY happy camper.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

mitchetb likes this.
  4. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes, love the cherry wood now....and, like posted above will give you a beautiful color...Willie

5. hickorybutt

hickorybutt Smoking Fanatic

I love my cherry wood.  It burns at a fairly medium-to-hot temperature, puts off a delicious smell, gives the meat a good color, and never "over-smokes" anything.  I have (or had) a 4x8 rack of cherry.  Now it is a 4x4 rack.  I use it on everything I cook.

I'll smoke chicken / poultry with nothing but cherry.

Pork I probably do 40% cherry, 40% pecan or hickory, and 20% oak.

Beef I will probably do a 20% cherry, 40% pecan, and 40% oak.

Point is, cherry goes well with everything and it mixes very well with other woods to give you the flavor and color that you like.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    mitchetb likes this.
  6. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Yep I agree with all the other posters. Cherry is great especially mixed with apple.

7. smokininidaho

smokininidaho Smoke Blower

Thanks for the replies, just got back, wound up being closer to a cord as he had more than what is shown in pic. Would love to try pecan or oak but it's not found up here in North Idaho. I do use royal oak charcoal though and love it. Pics of the bing cherry wood.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. Sweet-new neighbor moved in and is an arborist. Followed the smoking pork to my backyard on sat and is offering me now all the wood I want. All types of fruit wood, sugar maple and white oak. Is dropping a cherry tree on Wednesday and bucking trunk and large branches down to 12"and I, 'll take it from there. Took over some mulberry smoked pulled pork yesterday-blew him away. I think this is going to be a long friendship.

9. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You will love that cherry wood.

I like to mix it with stronger woods.

Cherry and maple are my go-to for smoked cheese.  Thanks Todd for your great products!

Good luck and good smoking.

10. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I tried it last night, with pork loin. I've been looking for it for a long time; the stores here have plenty of hickory, mesquite and apple chunks but seldom cherry. I found some marked as fireplace chunks under the Weber brand.

I started the fire by finishing a bag of Kingsford, then I finished a bag of apple chunks, then switched to the cherry. The flavor was darker and more tangy than I expected; to my taste it was closer to oak than apple. It did lend a dark red color to the loin - that was rubbed in garlic salt and black pepper, and it came out smelling like tasso.

Maybe part of my problem was burning oversize chunks in the dark. I was holding a flashlight in my teeth. I'll enjoy using the rest of the bag but I think I'll use it lightly as a flavoring.

11. tumbleweed1

tumbleweed1 Smoking Fanatic

I use cherry mixed with hickory from time to time. I've also mixed it with apple for long smokes with good results.

TW

12. Last couple butts iv'e done have been a mix of pecan and cherry. Really like the color and taste of the cherry. No complaints yet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  13. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

When it comes to chunks neither the Boss nor I can taste one species from another. Will be firing up the Reverse Flow for the first time here shortly....have over a cord of cherry...and about a quarter cord of maple...hope we like it....

14. Does it matter the variety of cherry tree? We planted 2 different trees a couple years ago (to grow cherries). Can i use the smaller branches that i plan on trimming to add a cherry flavour, or do i need a bigger core wood for this? Branches are about 1" currently.

15. No and yes. Branches like that season fast and can be thrown right in. Bark is thin so no problem.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  16. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

As a follow-up, the smoked loin is surprisingly close to a Canadian bacon without the brining. I fried some slices in butter. I'm still not used to the cherry aroma and it was funny to walk through the house and get a whiff of something smoky but not familiar.

17. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

I did the burn in fire on our Reverse Flow yesterday using cherry... can't wait to cook on it....the smell was incredible

joes bbq ribs likes this.
  18. stan r

stan r Newbie

I had two large wild cherry trees cut down this summer and they have been cut up and split,  Is that wood any good for smoking???  If not, I will use it in my outdoor fire pit.

19. tumbleweed1

tumbleweed1 Smoking Fanatic

If there was a chance it was ever sprayed with any pesticides or the like then I would refrain from using it.

TW

20. Yes, I love smoking with cherry wood! 👍 I'll use cherry and hickory mix and also use cherry and apple, love the flavor if gives to the meats.
    Happy Smokin'
    -Joe