Who likes cherry wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question:

I'm a newbie working my way through the various woods to develop a palate for the differences. 

I did a small pork sirloin roast using only cherry chips on my electric today, and while the meat was good, I could barely taste the smoke.  I used a salt/brown sugar/black pepper rub, and it seemed like I could taste that more than anything. Once I added the finishing bbq sauce all traces disappeared.

There was kind of a hammy, almost corned-beef taste, but I assumed that was mostly just the salt and pork?  Is cherry just really mild/subtle?  I used about 2-3X more wood than my previous cooks with hickory/apple anticipating it being mild.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky