Re Hickory

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
How many of you use and like hickory? I have an opportunity to get about 2/3 cord of seasoned hickory for $100. I’ve not used it much at all. I have used the Western chunks long ago in my cabinet but overall think that wood is over dried. I’m grabbing another load of cherry for the same price.

I use chunks. I do not see a lot of retail oak, mostly hickory. I use cherry, some apple and hickory. Use hickory for beef mostly because it is so strong and like it a lot. Being as it is just chunks, may not be appropriate for your situation...

Jeff , hickory is a classic in my opinion . I don't run a stick burner anymore , but had a big hickory go down at my Mom's a few years ago . Split it and used in the fire place , and saved some chunks for the smokers .
Burns hot . If I had a stick burner I'd grab it .

In my region (western triad NC), when someone says "barbeque", they mean pork shoulder or butt cooked over hickory coals. Anything else requires a qualifier (bbq chicken, bbq ribs, etc.) and it's usually smoked with hickory as well.

I don't think you will go wrong with that purchase. Nut wood has a different flavor than fruit wood, and you can always dial in your particular degree of flavor. I tend to use hickory on pork and beef, and lighter woods on chicken.

I pretty much tried all in the day and found hickory is too "bacon-ish" for me. Like Rich says tho, classic and great wood to burn tho. Price is good. Mix of cherry and hickory could work maybe. Add in some maple and you got a competition blend going on and is tasty on stuff. Used to be a big apple guy but tried oak once and was hooked ever since.

I would take red oak over hickory . Doesn't get enough credit in my opinion .
My firewood pile this year was heavy on red oak . Some nice pieces in there with the bark off already . You can tell by the rings it was a big tree and this was out of the center .
Those will go in the kettle at some point .

I pretty much tried all in the day and found hickory is too "bacon-ish" for me. Like Rich says tho, classic and great wood to burn tho. Price is good. Mix of cherry and hickory could work maybe. Add in some maple and you got a competition blend going on and is tasty on stuff. Used to be a big apple guy but tried oak once and was hooked ever since.
I exactly my thought. I’ll use a hickory / cherry blend on beef and bacon

Reactions: zwiller
How many of you use and like hickory? I have an opportunity to get about 2/3 cord of seasoned hickory for $100. I’ve not used it much at all. I have used the Western chunks long ago in my cabinet but overall think that wood is over dried. I’m grabbing another load of cherry for the same price.
Jeff, I'd grab that in a heartbeat, especially for that price! I love hickory for pork mostly, but will occasionally mix it in with beef. I've heard it compared to pecan as to taste profile. Crazy thing is it's real plentiful around me, but I'm about out and can't seem to find any. I can get red and white oak all day long...

Jeff, I'd grab that in a heartbeat, especially for that price! I love hickory for pork mostly, but will occasionally mix it in with beef. I've heard it compared to pecan as to taste profile. Crazy thing is it's real plentiful around me, but I'm about out and can't seem to find any. I can get red and white oak all day long...
My buddies cousin works for a tree service. They let him take all the downed wood he wants. He sells me cherry, apple or oak for that $100 for about 2/3 cord price. Sure can’t complain. Matter of fact I plan on starting to resell it in smaller quantities when retired.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
My go to is red oak, mainly cause I have a lot of it. I have hickory and use it also. I think it burns a little quicker than oak but not by much, there isn't a huge taste difference to me. for $100 for about 2/3 cord, I'd jump on it

Reactions: jcam222
I am a 4 wood user...in order of most to least used:
  1. Hickory
  2. Apple
  3. Pecan/Mesquite
Make sure you get as much bark off the hickory as you can...I think it gives off bitter taste. On splits it probably doesn't matter much. But sometimes chunks and chips are loaded with bark...ugh!

Reactions: jcam222
The only reason I don't use hickory is because I live in a region where EVERYONE uses hickory. As mentioned above, BBQ in the Carolina's is assumed to have been cooked over hickory (pork) unless you run a disclaimer.

Oak in this region is not as good as oak was when I lived in Arkansas. Here, I'm all in on cherry and pecan. Back home, I was an oak guy.

Hickory is a damn fine smoking wood, I'm just tired of it after nearly 3 decades here.

I like hickory a lot, but usually blend it with cherry. My go to wood blends are hickory/cherry or pecan/cherry for most everything, though I do like mesquite on some stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky