Who else has forgotten about meat on the smoker...for a week? Too funny.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
Last month I jumped into making bacon with both feet, I had 7 different varieties on the go in various stages of curing and smoking, tried to combine 2 or 3 slabs per smoking session then let them bloom in the fridge for a few days then have a slicing day. When I'm done smoking I shut down the PB820 and let it chill in the smoker overnight. Things were going along well and I was sampling each type (daily, ha!) and then I realized I hadn't sliced the back bacon, went thru all 3 fridges and couldn't find it...maybe I sliced it already?? Next day I was getting ready to do some wings on the smoker and lifted the lid and found the missing back bacon. Doh! :emoji_scream: :emoji_laughing: Thankfully it's still winter here and has been hovering around freezing all month. Oh boy.

Anyone else have one of these moments?

cheers

q0m6X.jpg

I'm a big fan of the basic "naked" fatties, meaning no filling... just unwrap and add one or two layers of rub. I cook them for 1.5 to 3 hours in the 250° or less range, then wrap and chill. So, many times after I take food off the smoker, I'll still have some good coals, and I'll add one or two fatties. There has been a couple of times I'll forget they are cooking.

Now... a friend's Saturdays are his big smoking day, but he has a terrible habit of putting food on, then heading to the neighborhood watering hole. He loses track of time, and you can guess the rest of the story. One Saturday in particular was smoked cheese day. He had collected blocks of cheese from 10 or 12 people and was going to do it all in one load. About the time he should have gone home to tend the cheese, someone won the shake-a-dice pot and started buying rounds. When my friend finally went home, all the cheese was in the drip pan in the bottom of the smoker.

I did have a flash-back to circa 1979. I was renting a house with a gas grill in the backyard and one evening I put a Tombstone pizza on and proceded to fall asleep on the couch watching TV. Mrs ~t~ was working the graveyard shift and when she came home the next morning the grill was still on and the pizza was all ash. :emoji_laughing:

Had 3 Tbones on the gas grill for our wedding anniversary a long time ago, When they hit almost perfect temp i shut it off and left them there while I finished other things, went to get them and a grease fire must've started, saved 1 that I scrapped like a piece of burnt toast, we hit 38 years yesterday and finally no mention of that boo boo lol

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
Cain't tell you how many time I've left a pan of beans on the smoker. While I was loading everything else up to take somewhere else. LoL

Had 3 Tbones on the gas grill for our wedding anniversary a long time ago, When they hit almost perfect temp i shut it off and left them there while I finished other things, went to get them and a grease fire must've started, saved 1 that I scrapped like a piece of burnt toast, we hit 38 years yesterday and finally no mention of that boo boo lol
You just jinxed yourself. You're going to hear about it the rest of your life now!

Reactions: Retired Spook
When I was young, living in Maui, Hawaii, extremely stupid, and had my extreme stupidity greatly enhanced by some local herb (I haven't touched anything in over 40-years), myself and an equally extremely stupid stupefied friend were encouraged by the stupid friend's father to cook an eye round roast that he bought, on their propane gas grill.

So, we lit the grill, got the temperature just right, prepared the eye round, laid it on the grill, closed the lid, and forgot about it until sometime the next afternoon...

When we "remembered" the eye round, we went out and opened the grill and the eye round was covered all over by a fine white... ash... and of course, the propane tank was empty.

So, I decided to test it and stuck a fork in it and it disintegrated right before our eyes and fell into the grill and was gone!

True story.

Last edited:
That is the down side to having my gasser hooked up to the NG at the house. You forget about it and it will still be on forever. Luckily only left it on overnight twice, at least it was on low.

When I was young, living in Hawaii, extremely stupid, and had my extreme stupidity greatly enhanced by some local herb (I haven't touched anything in over 40-years) myself and an equally extremely stupid stupefied friend were encouraged by the stupid friend's father to cook a eye round roast that he bought, on their propane gas grill.

So, we lit the grill, got the temperature just right, prepared the eye round, laid it on the grill, closed the lid, and forgot about it until sometime the next afternoon...

When we "remembered" the eye round, we went out and opened the grill and the eye round was covered all over by a fine white... ash... and of course, the propane tank was empty.

So, I decided to test it and stuck a fork in it and it disintegrated right before our eyes and fell into the grill and was gone!

True story.
That was some good :emoji_poop:

No, but I've left a re-heated cup of coffee in the microwave oven more times than I can count.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky