1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which woods give y’all the best smoke ring?

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by SmokinLogs, Nov 4, 2018.

1. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

This was a rack of baby backs I smoked lastweek. They were in the smoke for a good 4.5 hours, had them wrapped for 1 hour in between. I used pecan for the smoke. I really liked how smoke ring showed up nice and bright. I got to thinking how pecan has given me some of my best smoke rings, so I thought I’d ask everybody else what they have seen and liked best for their bbq? Not just smoke rings but what do you like for taste the most too? I have found pecan is a great all purpose flavor. For some things apple wood is a great flavor too, but a little light. I think it mixes well with hickory or pecan. I’ve also really enjoyed oak and dogwood in the last. These are just my opinions, let’s hear yours!

7F8FC727-57B0-4148-9DC5-E36DE798768C.jpeg 4FAAA10F-8E08-429B-9D35-8E5D181B874A.jpeg

2. SmokinLogs and Dafish13 like this.
  3. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

I don't worry about a smoke ring it has nothing to do with finished product but looks. If I get a smoke ring OK if I don't OK.

Warren

SmokinLogs and uncle eddie like this.
  4. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I am using pecan more and more these days. I like the flavor, and smell of the smoke.

SmokinLogs likes this.
  5. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Pecan is nice...it is sort of like a muted, mild hickory.

My 3 fave woods for smoking meats are Hickory, Pecan and Mesquite...all have produced very visible smoke rings. But I agree with HalfSmoked...taste is king...smoke ring is window dressing.

SmokinLogs likes this.
  6. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

I know, you guys are right. Smoke ring is just for looks, and the moisture and temp and overall cooking process is what effects the smoke ring. I just remembered reading about the science behind the smoke ring and the chemical reaction of it all, and there being something about how certain woods have higher nitrate/ nitrite levels that aid in the chemical reactions. So, I thought I’d ask about some others’ experiences! Thanks for the input.

7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

SmokinLogs and Uncle Eddie Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

8. motolife313

motolife313 Smoking Fanatic

A clean fire will produce much less smoke then a smoldering fire