Which thermometer do I trust? Same temps in water (ice and boiling) but diff temps in stove

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's how you can sort this out.

1. Re-do the 32 degree and boiling water tests. You must use distilled water for this, including the ice cubes, if you want perfect results. The 32-degree test should be done with ice from top to bottom of the container, and stirring. The boiling water test needs to be adjusted for altitude if you are more than 1,000 feet above sea level. If you don't use distilled water, and have well water or other water that has lots of minerals, it will change the boiling point. The only reason for re-doing this test is to make sure the two really did agree at those two temperatures. Put both probes in the water at the same time and be sure to stir the water vigorously for at least one minute (especially with the ice bath) before taking a reading. Make sure to not let either probe contact any part of the container, especially during the boiling water test (the bottom is much hotter than the boiling water).

2. Here's the extra test. Put some hot water from the tap into the same container and put both probes into that. The water will probably be between 125 and 160 degrees. This gives you an in-between reading to test the linearity of each probe. This test will not tell you which probe is more accurate, but it WILL eliminate the whole issue of whether the probes are giving you different readings because of hot spots in your smoker or oven. It is absolutely amazing how large a difference in temperature you can get inside a hot enclosure.

3. If you really want to get into this, you can repeat the side-by-side test using a deep fat fryer. This is a little tougher because the oil won't stop at a specific temperature, the way water does when it reaches the boiling point. What I'd do is get the oil to 350 (nominally) and then unplug the unit. Stir the oil with both probes next to each other (you could even tie them together with a piece of wire). Take the measurements after about a minute.

Finally, if you are really concerned about this, you can get a laboratory grade thermometer and test against that. You can get these from various lab supply houses. If you don't want to go that route, you can get a Thermapen. Each unit is calibrated at the factory and has electronics that, once calibrated at the 32 and 212 points, pretty much guarantees accuracy at all other points.

I think there's too much worry here about perfect Therms:
Mine have never been "off" by more than 2° in a boiling water test, however what would 5° or 8° off hurt?
The only meats I care that much about IT are my Prime Ribs, which I like to end up at 142°, but I can accept between 138° and 144°.
And Pork I pull at or slightly below 145°, because I want the final to be safe at 145°, and depending on the Smoker Temp I use, the carry-over won't be more than about 2°.
All the rest, if I'm 2, 3, or 4° off, Big Deal.

And as far as Smoker Temp, if your Smoker is reading 225° and it's really 230° or even 235°, Big Deal.

Bear

Good advice, I'll check my Temp gauge on my smoker once a year, maybe twice if I have concerns.
It its within a couple of degrees no biggie. A couple of degrees one way or the other in no big deal unless you are going for the absolute FDA Minimum Temp, you sure don't want to be under but I always take mine a little above that anyway.
Now if you are shooting for that perfect Rare, Med. Rare, or Med. you need a really accurate Temp gauge/Thermometer.
All I am saying is 1 or 2 degrees is no biggie and you probably couldn't tell by looking anyway.

Gary

C'mon folks, he's talking about a difference of 50F! The use of non distilled water or not adjusting for elevation would have a minor effect on temperature. It is also irrelevant as it would affect both thermometers the same. Since they are reading the same in ice and boiling water so the response is linear. Something else is going on.

Solman, do all 4 probes of the Inkbird read the same when testing at the same time, and is the Mav probe in very close proximity to the Inkbird's?

C'mon folks, he's talking about a difference of 50F! The use of non distilled water or not adjusting for elevation would have a minor effect on temperature. It is also irrelevant as it would affect both thermometers the same. Since they are reading the same in ice and boiling water so the response is linear. Something else is going on.

Solman, do all 4 probes of the Inkbird read the same when testing at the same time, and is the Mav probe in very close proximity to the Inkbird's?

yes, all 4 inkbird probes are identical. all thermometers and probes are nearly identical in ice and boiling water. all probes were zip tied together for ice/boil water testing. they were also zip tied in the oven where it showed 50F difference. in the smoker they were on probe clips next to each other.

i think i'll buy a small chicken and insert both thermometer probes into each breast, and pull it once ONE of the probes reaches a safe temperature of 165F, and then see if it's done or not. if it's done, i know i can trust that probe. if it's not done, then i know the other probe is likely more trustworthy.

I'll admit that my detailed account of how to do a proper calibration was overkill for this particular situation, but I'm not sure the snarky reply was needed.

Unfortunately, what may have gotten lost in my long reply and the following responses was the key piece of advice I gave: put BOTH probes into water or oil at some temperature other than 32 or 212 in order to check the linearity. Tie them together so they are right next to each other in the liquid (water or oil can also have significant hot spots).

It is actually pretty amazing how much temperature difference you can have in an enclosure, on a pan, or even in the middle of some liquid. If you have an instant read thermometer you can see the difference in liquid as you move it around. For an enclosure a "point 'n shoot" instant read infrared thermometer reveals all sort of big differences. In a hot enclosure, 50 degree variations are not at all uncommon.

I just want to clarify. I hope you are using the Mav probes with the Mav unit and Inkbird with Inkbird. Seems like a no-brainer, but I've seen worse mistakes made. I have no idea if one will plug into the other, but I think it's a safe bet they are not interchangeable even if they did. There are internal, technical things that make it highly unlikely, but could explain the exact issues you are talking about.

I just want to clarify. I hope you are using the Mav probes with the Mav unit and Inkbird with Inkbird. Seems like a no-brainer, but I've seen worse mistakes made. I have no idea if one will plug into the other, but I think it's a safe bet they are not interchangeable even if they did. There are internal, technical things that make it highly unlikely, but could explain the exact issues you are talking about.

Yup-Good point---I doubt if they are interchangeable. Even the probes from my ET-73 aren't interchangeable (don't fit) with my ET-732.

Bear

The inkbird is new and probes are differently shaped, so the probes were definitely not mixed up.

Edit, inserted the inkbird probe into the Maverick and it wouldn't recognize the probe.

Last edited:
I have a 13lb turkey being smoked and have one Maverick probe in a breast and an Inkbird probe in the other breast. At initial entry, each probe read identical 37F. At 1.5 hours, the inkbird read 129F and Maverick 100F.

I then took a cold inkbird probe and inserted it into the Maverick side of the breast. After a few seconds it read the same as the other inkbird. Strangely, after a few seconds i reopened the smoker and touched the 2nd inkbird probe and it was way too hot to the touch. That makes me think the inkbird probes are quickly absorbing the ambient temperature causing it to read much higher than the food temperature.

It's been 2.25 hours now, and the inkbird is reading 165 and169, but the Maverick is showing 136. I don't trust the inkbird. I'll wait for the Maverick to read 163 before i pull out the turkey .

I just did a few on the ink bird and found it to be off. My review is in the carousel on the main page.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky