Which Pellet Grill to Buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mikeonthelake

Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Bought a Costco Traeger Siverton 620 and assembled it yesterday. This one has WiFI and the Wifi won't connect. Traeger customer service can't figure out the issue and I don't want to wait while they escalate internally. It's going back to Costco.

Thinking about replacing it with a Rec Tec. Any recommendations for a wifi Rec Tec that is somewhat equivalent to the Traeger Silverton 620? What about other pellet grills?

Thanks!

I don't have a pellet pooper or Wifi, but the guys here with RecTecs always seem to be real happy with them. RAY

I have a Rec Tec bull and it’s a great pellet smoker easy to use and great customer service. I’ve never had any issues with the WiFi. I previously had a traeger and GMG and they both can’t come close to the Rec Tec.

I was at a bbq equipment store getting some pellets and other goodies yesterday. I have a traeger as well and I like it, but am new to the pellet grill world. I took a look at a Yoder yesterday and that seemed like a solid wood pellet grill.

Like my traeger but I cannot sear on it because it doesnt get hot enough and the higher the temp the less smoke is produced. At full throttle, (450 on the panel) it gets up to 430 but not much smoke at all. No complaints at all about anything I have cooked yet.

I had trouble connecting to a New WiFi thermostat today. I ended up getting it going by telling it to forget the device under available networks and started over. Might be worth a shoot. Those first time connections can be tricky!

I had trouble connecting to a New WiFi thermostat today. I ended up getting it going by telling it to forget the device under available networks and started over. Might be worth a shoot. Those first time connections can be tricky!
Tried that and a bunch of other things multiple times. Traeger was returned to Costco this afternoon. I'm seriously looking at the Rec Tec 590 (Stampede) now.

I bought a Stampede last fall, my son has a Bull and my son-in-law has a Bullseye. These are awesome smokers and IMO out perform and will outlast the Treagers.
My biggest frustration with the RecTeq is what to do with my BGE's.

You will love your Stampede.

I bought a Stampede last fall, my son has a Bull and my son-in-law has a Bullseye. These are awesome smokers and IMO out perform and will outlast the Treagers.
My biggest frustration with the RecTeq is what to do with my BGE's.

You will love your Stampede.

What some who have stick burners or Kamados plus pellet grills do for long cooks such as brisket and pork shoulder, is start them on the stick burner or Kamado, and then put them on the pellet grill to finish them off while they sleep.

I have a Bull and LOVE IT! any rec tec pellet grill will be a good buy for you. I did an insane research before going with the rec tec and have zero regrets.

I would return the trager...

to answer your WiFi question - i have seen no issues with my rec tec WiFi controller and a recent update allows control and probe info over cellular. its killer.

Bought a Costco Traeger Siverton 620 and assembled it yesterday. This one has WiFI and the Wifi won't connect. Traeger customer service can't figure out the issue and I don't want to wait while they escalate internally. It's going back to Costco.

Thinking about replacing it with a Rec Tec. Any recommendations for a wifi Rec Tec that is somewhat equivalent to the Traeger Silverton 620? What about other pellet grills?

Thanks!
Appreciate the replies and suggestions. Bought a Recteq Stampede. I was able to pick it up at Recteq's showroom and have assembled it and smoked on it a few times now. WiFi is working flawlessly and spareribs were great this weekend. I'm happy!

Reactions: sandyut

Attachments

• 20200815_142953_HDR.jpg
    20200815_142953_HDR.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200808_205514_HDR.jpg
    20200808_205514_HDR.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky